Werner Herzog

Started by adolfwolfli, August 06, 2003, 01:05:56 PM

matt35mm

Quote from: MacGuffin on February 02, 2006, 03:38:10 PM
Werner Herzog to Joaquin's Rescue!

We have a pretty good idea who Joaquin Phoenix's favorite director is these days.

In an only-in-La-La Land bit of serendipity, Phoenix tells the Los Angeles Times that none other than famed German director Werner Herzog came to his rescue after Phoenix accidentally flipped his car last week on a winding canyon road.

The 31-year-old actor, who scored an Oscar nomination earlier this week for his performance as Johnny Cash in the biopic Walk the Line, walked away from the mishap escaping serious injury.

According to the police report, the actor was driving along Lookout Mountain Avenue near Laurel Canyon Boulevard in the Hollywood Hills at about 3 p.m., when his brakes suddenly gave out. Trying to avoid a collision with another vehicle, Phoenix veered his car into an embankment, where it overturned, causing the driver's side airbag to deploy. The other driver was uninjured.

After the vehicle rolled over on its roof, Phoenix, who was wearing his seatbelt was flung into the passenger side. He told the Times he felt "a bit confused."

Enter Herzog.

"I remember this knocking on the passenger window," Phoenix said. "There was this German voice saying, 'Just relax.' There's the air bag. I can't see, and I'm saying, 'I'm fine. I am relaxed.' "

"Finally, I rolled down the window and this head pops inside. And he said, 'No, you're not.' And suddenly I said to myself, 'That's Werner Herzog!' " There's something so calming and beautiful about Werner Herzog's voice. I felt completely fine and safe. I climbed out."

An icon of German cinema, Herzog has been known for his sometimes reckless, hot-tempered and even dangerous approach to filmmaking--particularly in his ability to coax masterful performances from his onscreen foil, eccentric German acting legend Klaus Kinski. The two collaborated on such '70s classics as Aguirre, the Wrath of God, Woyzeck and Nosferatu.

In the Criterion documentary Burden of Dreams, chronicling the making of the epic Fitzcarraldo, Herzog is shown deftly handling the seemingly half-crazed Kinski and commanding his crew to haul a steamboat over a mountain at a 40-degree angle.

In 1980, the volatile director famously ate his shoe--no, we're not kidding--after losing a bet with a filmmaker Errol Morris. Herzog scarfed down the boiled footwear with a bit of garlic and Tabasco sauce as he held forth on art, literature and life, all captured in the documentary Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe.

The 63-year-old's latest production is his most acclaimed in years. The documentary Grizzly Man details the heartwrenching story of naturalist Timothy Treadwell who became famous--and controversial--for his up-close-and-personal encounters with bears in the wilds of Alaska before meeting an untimely end. The film earned Herzog the award for Best Documentary Director from the Directors Guild of America last weekend. (The film was deemed not eligible for the Oscars.)

Herzog could not be reached for comment, but a rep for Lions Gate, the studio that released Grizzly Man, confirmed the director had indeed helped Phoenix out of the wreckage. And the actor is grateful.

"I got out of the car and I said, 'Thank you,' " Phoenix recounted. "And he was gone."
... wow.  That's unreal.  And so so cool.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

The Perineum Falcon

I just found out, and perhaps it's a bit too late, but The Grizzly Man is said to play on the Discovery Channel, tonight, at 8pm EST.
I'm sure it'll rerun sometime soon, hopefully.

Thought that was interesting and so I'd share.

EDIT: :doh: Poop, Shangai beat me to it a few days ago in the actual thread for Grizzly, sooo... a friendly reminder?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

pete

I just saw my best fiend again last night...on the big screen.  It was awesome on the big screen.  All herzog films should be viewed on the big screen!  Man, that ending in my best fiend always gets me, but when it's like huge it just made me weep. 
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

I Don't Believe in Beatles

Herzog Shot During Interview

By WENN|Friday, February 03, 2006

HOLLYWOOD - German director Werner Herzog was shot by a crazed fan during a recent interview with the BBC.
The 63-year-old was chatting with movie journalist Mark Kermode about his documentary Grizzly Man, when a sniper opened fire with an air rifle.

Kermode explains, "I thought a firecracker had gone off.

"Herzog, as if it was the most normal thing in the world, said, 'Oh, someone is shooting at us. We must go.'

"He had a bruise the size of a snooker ball, with a hole in. He just carried on with the interview while bleeding quietly in his boxer shorts."

An unrepentant Herzog insisted, "It was not a significant bullet. I am not afraid."

http://www.hollywood.com/news/detail/id/3478770
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

modage

hah!  that's awesome.  if that's true somebody needs to make a movie of his life. between this and the car accident rescue, he is truly an amazing creature.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

I am beginning to think that Herzog may be God...

How do they know that the shooter was a "fan?"  If he or she was, then maybe that shooter was trying to prove that Herzog is God.  If so, mission accomplished.

squints

Holy fucking shit thats amazing!

Why would anyone wanna shot Werner? I'll bet it was Kinski...
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Reinhold

i'd love to be herzog's publicist.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

matt35mm

Herzog wears boxers.  Good to know.

I'm going to catch up on this guy's work... it's just too clear that I have to.

pete

well, he's been shot at by leftist guerillas in both South America and Africa, he's been threatened by Kinski, as well as the neighboring Indian tribes with arrows, he's been left alone almost frozen to death on the top of a mountain, escaped a volcano about to erupt...etc. I don't think being shot at by bb guns is a big deal for him.
you don't really need a movie on him when he's already got a book out called Herzog on Herzog.  Everyone should read it.  Even if you don't like his films it's just one great adventure after another.
- Buster Keaton

pete

just saw little dieter needs to fly again.  WHAT AN AMAZING MOVIE!!!!
- Buster Keaton

Alethia

WERNER HERZOG IS COMING TO MASSACHUSETTES WITH FREDERICK WISEMAN

http://www.massmoca.org/performing_arts/perf_arts_apr06.html

just in time for my birthday which is the day before, and you best believe i've already called and put myself on the list...

pete

whoa, where is north adams?  who cares, I'm going.
- Buster Keaton