Werner Herzog

Started by adolfwolfli, August 06, 2003, 01:05:56 PM

Gamblour.

i think Herzog fanatics need to get together or else his vote'll be split and none of you will win. i'm being serious, i haven't seen any of his films (sadly) and i can't go and watch four or five films in time to vote. it seems he's great, but for the sake of the list! pick one.
WWPTAD?

w/o horse

I voted for Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, The.  So my vote is for that movie. . .
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Alethia

ill be fine just as long as herzog is acknowledged.  id prefer it that fitzcarraldo was not the film to win however, not that it's not great, but because it's the most widely regarded, it seems.  its like naming "like a rolling stone" as the greatest dylan song.

picolas

Quote from: eward on November 27, 2005, 04:46:58 PM
ill be fine just as long as herzog is acknowledged.  id prefer it that fitzcarraldo was not the film to win however, not that it's not great, but because it's the most widely regarded, it seems.  its like naming "like a rolling stone" as the greatest dylan song.
i think Aguirre is the most widely regarded.

SoNowThen

I say let's go with Stroszeck. Herzog fans unite!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, Land Of Silence And Darkness, I dunno how many of you have seen this, but I caught it at a really small venue in London this year, with a friend, and it has probably the funniest thing I've ever seen in a movie, I almost pissed my pants laughing, but everyone turned to frown at me, and the only way I could get through it was to walk to the back corner and face the wall for the rest of the movie...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

w/o horse

Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, The.  I think it's Herzog as the Grizzly Man, I think it's Herzog telling us that the world should be looked at different.  Stroszek, a movie that seems to be being championed in the campaign thread, I mean I love it but it's not nearly as out there as Enigma, I feel, you know.  It's composition is much smaller:  America isn't a dreamland.  It fits into a larger sect, a general 70s cinema statement.  Hell, ambiguous ending and all.  Great cinema, sure.  Great Herzog, would disagree, and say Enigma.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

meatwad

Alethia

of his features, stroszek is my favorite.  so yeah, i have no problem going with it.

pete

ah man, my heart, so much of my heart belongs to kaspar hauser.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

planet_jake

For anyone interested, The White Diamond is defiantly my favorite film of the year, if not the decade.  I suggest everyone on this site go see it ASAP! It ha recently been released on DVD by Wellspring (Decent Transfer) and features some of the most stunning images Herzog has ever captured.

pete

check out I think october's issue of Filmmaker magazine, in which he talked about that film, it was a good interview.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

planet_jake

Groove. Thanks alot, I'll look for that!

Garam

I just ordered the Herzog/Kinski boxset since you guys vouch for him so much. Pretty damn cheap, too. Only £20 for the five films and 'My best friend.'

I was slightly put off by Herzog, because some guy I know can't stand him. "Completely portentous...", He says.

SoNowThen

That's the best £20 you've ever spent.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

planet_jake