talent gone to waste

Started by soixante, March 15, 2003, 09:10:54 AM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: cecil b. dementedclockwork orange.

eh... I didn't laugh much...  you probably would, though

sphinx

Quote from: Jeremy Blackmaneh... I didn't laugh much...  you probably would, though

i laughed a lot.  perhaps i need to learn more

oakmanc234

polkablues wrote: Agree totally that Piven's a great talent, disagree totally that "Very Bad Things" is a waste of it. I loved ''Very Bad Things''.

Oops! Major mis-communication! I meant that 'Very Bad Things' is an example of how under-rated and excellent he is, not an example of how badly used he is.
And not to carry on the 'Very Bad Things' chat but I have to get it out of my system, I f***in LOVE that movie!
If there was anyone to take over the role written for Sandler, I'm glad it was him (he's kinda like Sandler anyway).

(And Piven fans, check out this shitty Jared Leto movie called 'Highway'. Crap movie but Piven does a truly insane cameo!)
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

xerxes

didn't he have his own show for a week???

oakmanc234

I'm pretty sure it was called 'Cupid'. I faintly remember it being on late night.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

soixante

Wasn't Piven in Grosse Pointe Blank?  He was great in that.  Very Bad Things I only saw once.  I didn't like it, but I get the feeling it's something that needs to be seen again.  I have to admire the ballsiness of Very Bad Things, so I guess I better see it again with a fresh perspective.  I know some folks who loved it, others who hated it.

Talent wasted -- John C. Reilly in Perfect Storm, alongside William Fichtner.  How about Malkovich in Con Air (although it was a great camp villain).  Robert De Niro in Backdraft.  Dustin Hoffman in Mad City.  Al Pacino in Author Author.  Jeff Bridges in Against All Odds.  Nick Nolte and Emily Watson in Trixie.
Music is your best entertainment value.

polkablues

Quote from: oakmanc234polkablues wrote: Agree totally that Piven's a great talent, disagree totally that "Very Bad Things" is a waste of it. I loved ''Very Bad Things''.

Oops! Major mis-communication! I meant that 'Very Bad Things' is an example of how under-rated and excellent he is, not an example of how badly used he is.
And not to carry on the 'Very Bad Things' chat but I have to get it out of my system, I f***in LOVE that movie!

<tenting fingers>  Excellent.....

Back to wastes of talent: "Dreamcatcher".  For talent wasted per minute, it ranks right up there with the best (worst).
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Quote from: RaikusWhere is Billy Zane?

Billy Zane in Talks for Superman

An anonymous source tells Superhero Hype! that Warner Bros. is eyeing Billy Zane, who previously played The Phantom in Paramount's adaptation and is well known for his role in "Titanic", to play Lex Luthor in the Superman movie. The film, which now has no director or lead star, is still going ahead according to the studio.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

frankie muniz in big fat liar....
julia stiles in save the last dance.......
keanu reeves in the watcher.......
air bud in the golden retriever(Air Bud ? can-not remember the number)......
vanilla ice in the new guy........
britney spears in crossroads.........
bruce(aka jaws) in jaws the revenge...........
ben affleck in forces of nature
michael jordan in space jam.......
tara reid in van wilder.............

ono

chainsmoking insomniac

On a slightly different note (not because of bad roles but because he wasted his talents all on his own): Robert Downey Jr.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

jonas

Quote from: BonBon85Can anybody think of a darker comedy?

Dr. Strangelove

Colin Farrel: Started with the War Zone and Tigerland. All roles since have been crappy (except Minority Report). Now he's got S.W.A.T  :(

Vin Diesel: His short film Multi-Facial showed he has talent, but he pissed all of that away with his role choices. Too bad, he talks about liking DeNiro and Brando all the time, but chooses roles that are the opposite.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

modage

Robert De Niro May Play Hide & Seek
Source: The Hollywood Reporter Tuesday, August 5, 2003

Robert De Niro may star in 20th Century Fox's thriller Hide & Seek. The film will be directed by Albert Hughes, the helmer's first solo project apart from brother Allen Hughes.

Hide & Seek is about a girl who loses her mother at a young age. Her father (De Niro) comes to discover that his daughter is dealing with the death of her mother in an unusual and terrifying way.

De Niro moves to the film from Rule No. 3, also a Fox project, which stalled in recent weeks and is in jeopardy of falling apart.

---HIDE AND SEEK---
A Hughes Brother Film
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Find Your Magali

Folks in need of some more good roles in 2003, and not crappy thrillers or police procedurals...

Morgan Freeman (gotta get this guy his frickin' Oscar)
Bruce Greenwood
Tommy Lee Jones
Gary Sinise (hello???)
Josh Charles (playing the bad guy in SWAT?? C'mon!)
Felicity Huffman
Owen Wilson (agreeing with all those who already mentioned him)

and Tim Robbins needs to stop making comedies and cameos. Hopefully Mystic River gets him turned around.

EDIT: Yes, I know Huffman is in a successful, well-received new series on Showtime. But I don't get Showtime. Dammit.

cine

De Niro needs to stop making cop movies... or movies where he plays some sort of cop. I wanna see something new with De Niro. He can still go the extra miles in roles so just let him.

Also I think Cuba Gooding Jr. is talented but he needs to stop rat racing, playing with snowdogs and being a retard and get down to some serious acting again.