Dustin Hoffman

Started by meatball, September 21, 2004, 03:21:03 PM

meatball

There doesn't seem to be a thread on him as far as I know, so here's one.

I just realized that this guy was one of the best actors I've ever seen when I watched Straw Dogs last night. He rocked that house.

Just Withnail

I voted Midnight Cowboy. Didn't really like the film that much, but I liked his performance quite alot.

NEON MERCURY

Chest Rockwell

I voted Straw Dogs. I thought he had a much stronger presence than in Graduate, anyway. Never saw Midnight Cowboy, sadly.

meatball

See Midnight Cowboy, Chest! Voight's a gigolo in New York and Dustin's the con man that he befriends.

Alethia

"Are you saying..What are...You callin John Wayne a fag???"

EDIT:  i realize it is voight's line, but still memorable...

ono

Dick Tracy needs to be there.  But Rain Man was his best performance.  The Graduate is weak, and so is Midnight Cowboy.  But if you watch The Graduate and look closely, you'll realize why Hoffman and Cruise were cast as brothers in Rain Man(one reason).  The resemblance is UNCANNY, especailly when Hoffman is on the float in the pool, wearing shades.

coffeebeetle

Quote from: NimoySee Midnight Cowboy, Chest! Voight's a gigolo in New York and Dustin's the con man that he befriends.

I second that!  After Rain Man, I think Hoffman's performance in Midnight is fantastic....then Dick Tracy.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

NEON MERCURY

news flash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rain man is dated

although his performance in that film is incredible.  after seeing it over time it doesnt feel fresh...i  also think that philadelphia is dated too.

although the subject matter is very serious and important you cant help but notice that the film feels gimicky.

soixante

Rain Man is not dated -- it has gotten better with age.  It is not merely about autism -- Rain Man shows what it is like to deal with an intractable personality, or an intractable situation -- whether it's a terminal disease, alcoholism, or plain stubbornness.  

One of Hoffman's best performances is in Straight Time, by the way, which isn't mentioned in the poll.

Hoffman deserves his two Oscars, and should have won a few more. His versatility is unmatched -- he followed The Graduate with Midnight Cowboy. Think of how difficult his role in Tootsie is -- he plays an out of work, egocentric actor who disguises himself as a woman, and while he learns internally what it is like to be a woman, he falls in love with Jessica Lange. There are so many layers of emotional complexity to this role, so many tides and currents of motivation, emotion and concealed desires, and Hoffman makes it all work, and makes it funny besides.

And then in Rain Man, Hoffman eschews the sound and fury of screwball comedy for the stillness and calm of an autistic man, a man whose scale of emotional expression is very narrow. Hoffman does more with less dialoge and less emotional expression than most actors could ever hope to pull off.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Alethia

"...Oh yes, he'll crow - he'll fight - he'll fly, and then - He'll die.  Bwaha, haha, aha-ha-ha-ha..."

he's so much fun to watch.

Bethie

I fell in love with Dustin Hoffman after having to watch All the President's Men in Participation In Government class in high school.

The Graduate is one of my all time favourite films. It used to be sort of a joke because I would watch it every time it was shown on TV. Which was quite often.

Kramer vs Kramer. yeah. Thought it was all right.

Rain Man makes me laugh.

Tootsie! Just watched that today! Liked it a lot! What is that quote when his character Michael Dorsey was talking about the director of the 'daytime drama' and said something like, "he is an arrogant ass. if I wasn't wearing this dress, I'd kick his ass." I can't find the exact quote anywhere.  :(

and I got it! "I tell you, if I wasn't wearing a dress I would've kicked his arrogant ass in."   8)

I had it all twisted. haha
who likes movies anyway

MacGuffin

Dustin, Dax Revved Up for 'Car Wars'

Dustin Hoffman and Dax Shepard are ready to face off against each other in the comedy "Car Wars."

The Warner Bros. project follows a snobby Mercedes-Benz dealer (Hoffman) who sees his kingdom crumble after a "Hollywood Classic Cars" shop opens up across the street. The new dealer (Shepard) quickly befriends Hoffman's character despite his immense hostility.

Shepard's recent credits include the comedies "Without a Paddle" and "Cheaper by the Dozen." He is shooting "Zathura" for Columbia Pictures. Hoffman is in theaters with "I Heart Huckabees" and "Finding Neverland." He co-stars in "Meet the Fockers," which opens Dec. 22 via Universal.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: MacGuffinDustin, Dax Revved Up for 'Car Wars'

Dustin Hoffman and Dax Shepard are ready to face off against each other in the comedy "Car Wars."

The Warner Bros. project follows a snobby Mercedes-Benz dealer (Hoffman) who sees his kingdom crumble after a "Hollywood Classic Cars" shop opens up across the street. The new dealer (Shepard) quickly befriends Hoffman's character despite his immense hostility.

Shepard's recent credits include the comedies "Without a Paddle" and "Cheaper by the Dozen." He is shooting "Zathura" for Columbia Pictures. Hoffman is in theaters with "I Heart Huckabees" and "Finding Neverland." He co-stars in "Meet the Fockers," which opens Dec. 22 via Universal.

And the Robert DeNiro Award for Career Suicide Due To Pure Laziness goes to...