The Would've Beens

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, August 19, 2004, 09:56:30 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: rustinglassI'll bet this is such old news that I just made a fool of myself.
not so much old news, just mentioned in the second post.
under the paving stones.

NEON MERCURY

orenthal was going to be the terminator...

i learned that from the "collectable booklet" from a dvd .....

Alethia

from the making of doc, i learned that tim burton for a while was going to direct after hours.

soixante

Before Scorsese was hired to direct Taxi Driver, Jeff Bridges was considered for Travis Bickle.

Christopher Reeve turned down the lead in American Gigolo, as did John Travolta.

Travolta turned down Officer and a Gentleman, and had to bow out of Days of Heaven, and was replaced by Richard Gere in both films.
Music is your best entertainment value.

MacGuffin

James Cagney is Robin Hood. Well, nearly
Source: The Guardian

A new website (Notstarring.com) lists the famous film roles that might have been cast very differently. Emma Thompson in Silence of the Lambs anyone?

Madonna (The Bodyguard): Turned down the lead female role. Kevin Costner is shown in her documentary Truth or Dare saying, "It wasn't going to work out."

The part went to Whitney Houston.

Kevin Costner (The Matrix): Costner was apparently considered for the role of Neo (seriously).  (:shock:  :yabbse-huh:)

The part went to Keanu Reeves.

Tom Selleck (Indiana Jones): Selleck declined because of his commitments to Magnum PI.
The part went to Harrison Ford.

Elizabeth Taylor (The Mirror Has Two Faces): Screenwriter Richard La Gravenese had Taylor in mind to play the mother of Barbra Streisand, but Streisand insisted otherwise.

The part went to Lauren Bacall.

Richard Burton (Julius Caesar): Burton was to play Brutus in a film to be directed by Orson Welles, but the rights were held by MGM, who hired director Joseph L Manckiewicz instead. The part went to James Mason.

Richard Burton (The Sound of Music):Was considered for the role of Captain Von Trapp.

The part went to Christopher Plummer.

Julia Roberts (Shakespeare in Love):Roberts turned down the lead role of Viola De Lesseps.

The part went to Gywneth Paltrow.

Warren Beatty (The Way We Were):The first choice to play "Hubbell" turned down the leading role.

The part went to Robert Redford.

Warren Beatty (Indecent Proposal):The first choice to play the rich guy.

The part went to Robert Redford.

Ben Affleck (Brokeback Mountain): One of the actors whom director Ang Lee talked to about starring in the love story between two ranch-hands.

The part went to Heath Ledger.

Emma Thompson (Basic Instinct):Thompson turned down the lead role of Catherine Tramell.

The part went to Sharon Stone.

Emma Thompson (Silence of the Lambs): She also turned down the role of Clarice Starling.

The part went to Jodie Foster.

James Cagney (The Adventures of Robin Hood): This film masterpiece was originally planned for the gangster great.

The part went to Errol Flynn.

Chevy Chase (American Beauty):Turned down the lead role of Lester. Jeff Daniels was also considered for it.

The part went to Kevin Spacey
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

CHEVY CHASE!?!?!?!?

And Richard Burton as Von Trapp would have made little to no difference in the movie as far as I can see.  Warren Beatty and Robert Redford are similarly interchangable for those parts.  I just mean I can easily imagine it in all those cases.

But a lot of what I see on this list would suggest the actual existence of Movie Gods.

MacGuffin

Did some poking around on www.notstarring.com and found:

George C. Scott

The multiple award-winning stage and screen actor turned down the role of "Earl Partidge" because he hated the screenplay.
Actor who got the part: Jason Robards

Patricia Arquette

Producers wanted Patricia Arquette to play Amber Waves.
Actor who got the part: Julianne Moore

Warren Beatty

Warren Beatty turned down an offer to play Jack Horner.
Actor who got the part: Burt Reynolds

Leonardo DiCaprio

DiCaprio was offered the lead role of Dirk Diggler. Leonardo did Titanic instead, and Mark Wahlberg took the part.
Actor who got the part: Mark Wahlberg

Samuel Jackson

Jackson turned down the role of Buck Swope.

Gwyneth Paltrow

Gwyneth Paltrow turned down an offer to play Rollergirl.
Actor who got the part: Heather Graham
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Chest Rockwell

George C Scott would have been interesting.... but Robards played it so perfectly, anyways.

Pubrick

what the hell is warren beatty's problem? i guess he chooses his movies like he chose his wife. by passing on the best ones.
under the paving stones.

soixante

Actually, Beatty was right to turn down Way We Were and Indecent Proposal.  He was foolish to turn down Boogie Nights and Kill Bill.

Fun fact:  Beatty wanted Muhammad Ali to play the lead in Heaven Can Wait.  Now that would've been interesting.

Anthony Michael Hall turned down the lead in Full Metal Jacket, and starred in the all-time classic Out of Bounds instead.
Music is your best entertainment value.

picolas

SPOILS FOR THE DEPARTED

according to imdb, De Niro was doing Sheen's part until he had to drop out for Good Shepherd. that would've been an interesting symbolic passing of the torch to DiCaprio.. plus you never expect a De Niro character to die.

update: i think i'm wrong.