The Would've Beens

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, August 19, 2004, 09:56:30 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

In this, I'd like to just get a list of actors/actresses who would've had a role, but were later switched to something else, be it by better judgment or just a once thought of role, but later found another actor/actress was better.

Like...

In Boogie Nights, Leonardo DiCaprio was supposed to be Dirk Diggler, but was replaced by Mark Whalberg.

In Collateral, it was supposed to be Adam Sandler as the driver, but was replaced by Jamie Foxx.

In Spiderman, Peter Parker was supposed to be Chris O' Donnel, but was later replaced by Tobey Macguire.

And as funny as it would be to make a joke that totally lies and says some actor who was considered for something, but wasn't, let's just tell the truth.  As truth can be stranger than fiction! OoOOOh! But seriously, please just post true replacements.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

Sly Stallone was supposed to be "Beverly Hills Cop."

Sofia Coppola replaced Winona Ryder in "Godfather III."

Eric Stoltz was originally Marty McFly in "Back To The Future."

Nicole Kidman, due to injury on "Moulin Rouge," dropped her role to Jodie Foster in "Panic Room."

Harvey Keitel was Willard before Martin Sheen in "Apocalypse Now."

Tom Selleck was to play Indiana Jones, but couldn't get out of his "Magnum P.I." contract.

A brain tumor kept Mark Ruffalo from playing the brother that Joaquin Phoenix ended up playing in "Signs."

Stuart Townsend was originally cast as Aragorn in "Lord Of The Rings."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Quote from: MacGuffinSofia Coppola replaced Winona Ryder in "Godfather III."

Harvey Keitel was Willard before Martin Sheen in "Apocalypse Now."
:(

El Duderino

Russel Crowe was supposed to be Vincent in Collateral
Sarah Polley was supposed to be Penny Lane in Almost Famous
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

matt35mm

Oh yeah, and Kate Hudson was supposed to be William's sister (which was finally played by Zooey).  And maybe Zooey tried out for Penny Lane, I don't remember for sure.

Bethie

Quote from: matt35mmOh yeah, and Kate Hudson was supposed to be William's sister (which was finally played by Zooey).  And maybe Zooey tried out for Penny Lane, I don't remember for sure.

Kirsten Dunst was close to playing Penny Lane.
who likes movies anyway

cine

I was close to playing Penny Lane but the producers said something about it being "too much" sex appeal. I don't know. It's okay. I'm over it.

MacGuffin

I heard Cameron Crowe was so desperate, he was gonna get Penny Marshall to marry Nathan Lane just so she could play the role.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

rustinglass

I heard Tom Selleck was going to be Indiana Jones.

I'll bet this is such old news that I just made a fool of myself.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Fernando

Harvey Keitel was Victor Ziegler before Sidney Pollack in EWS.

Jennifer Jason Leigh was Marion Nathanson before Marie Richardson in EWS.

Alethia

wasnt woody allen considered for a brief moment to play either the sydney pollack or tom cruise role in ews?

MacGuffin

Quote from: ewardwasnt woody allen considered for a brief moment to play either the sydney pollack or tom cruise role in ews?

http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=3664

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

Quote from: ewardwasnt woody allen considered for a brief moment to play either the sydney pollack or tom cruise role in ews?
the tom one, so was steve martin. aye caramba!

Redlum

Quote from: MacGuffin
A brain tumor kept Mark Ruffalo from playing the brother that Joaquin Phoenix ended up playing in "Signs."

That's scary.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

The Perineum Falcon

Found this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/fridayreview/story/0,12102,1286328,00.html

A good majority of it's already been said, but they provide a few blurbs of info about each.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.