Favorite Coen Bros. Movie?

Started by Satcho9, January 09, 2003, 03:50:07 PM

SoNowThen

It just looks fucking ridiculous... but not in a Coen Bros cool kinda way. With the baby being stolen, and shit sped up, and that guy who looks like he's outta Mad Max. I dunno...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

see it. if ONLY for the Cage performance. :wink:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

chainsmoking insomniac

Raising Arizona is one of my favorite Coen Brothers movies!  It's got some of the subtlest humor I've seen in any movie, period!!! :-D
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

modage

Quote from: themodernage02so tough for me...

1. RAISING ARIZONA
2. THE BIG LEBOWSKI
3. FARGO
4. BARTON FINK
5. THE MAN WHO WASNT THERE
6. HUDSUCKER PROXY
7. MILLERS CROSSING
8. BLOOD SIMPLE
9. O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU

ditto.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alexandro

THE BIG LEBOWSKI, by far

Ghostboy

I think Raising Arizona is probably my favorite film of theirs. It is PERFECT.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenIt just looks fucking ridiculous... but not in a Coen Bros cool kinda way. With the baby being stolen, and shit sped up, and that guy who looks like he's outta Mad Max. I dunno...

Raising Arizona was the first Coen Bros. movie I saw. It's really, really good. It's very funny. It is ridiculous, but it is very recognizably the Coen Bros. They display the same semiotic genius they brought to forties Hollywood (w/ the Louis Mayer and George S. Kaufman figures) and Depression-era South (what with the Dapper Dan).
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Yeah, I trust you guys. I'm gonna rent it soon.

But they really cut a bad trailer. Oh well.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Just Withnail

Damn you all for forcing me to choose!

...actually I kinda enjoy listing stuff...don't mind me.

1. The Big Lebowski
2. Raising Arizona
3. Fargo
4. Barton Fink
5. The Hudsucker Proxy
6. The Man Who Wasn't there
7. Miller's Crossing
8. O' Brother where art thou
9. Blood Simple

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenYeah, I trust you guys. I'm gonna rent it soon.

But they really cut a bad trailer. Oh well.

Not before you watch Blood Simple w/ commentary, though.

I swear, I'm completely wild about it. It's fucking hysterical.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Mr. Joshua

Raising Arizona come on, just, come on now.

"Well, sometimes, I be getting the menstrual cramps real hard."
"and in the windmill dawn, and under this orchard canopy, and out from under this barrel vault, and out from under this barrel vault." -

Derek

"Son, you got a panty on your head."
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Dr. Duke

I think that Barton Fink is there best film, folowed by Fargo and then THe Man who Wasn't There. Fink is a hilarious film, but also- in my opinion- strangely moving. The surrealism in it adds this nice level of mystery that brings me back again and again. I'm so glad that they released this movie on DVD because my VHS version has pretty much worn out.
I want you to hold it between your knees.

modage

interesting that your name is lebowski, when its not even in your top 3.  curious.

Dr. Duke

Quote from: themodernage02interesting that your name is lebowski, when its not even in your top 3.  curious.

I like the movie, but I like the name better
I want you to hold it between your knees.