Favorite Coen Bros. Movie?

Started by Satcho9, January 09, 2003, 03:50:07 PM

NEON MERCURY

i saw ......barton fink....ffor the first time ..and i was connfused.....

someone check the meanning ...for me.....

SPOILERS

...is the whole film about barton gets job to write a wrestling script-----barton has trouble writing script--barton meets goodman-----barton falls ffor  judy davis----barton sleeps with her---barton wakes up slaps mosquito--judy davis bleeds from under her back which makes her KO'ed------barton is scared and still has to write the wrasl'n film------barton stares at a picture of a lady staring at the ocean----bartonns apartment sucks---goodman gives barton a present---barton finds out that goodman is really  a badmann---goodman sets fire to the hotel----barton is freed by goodmann---goodman goes back to his apartment---barton walks to the beach and stares at the lady who is staring at the sea that barton was staring earlier while staring at the pictrure in the apartment------THE END

two questionns

1..whats in the box

2...whats the poitn of the final scene(s)......

and as always if you donn't know the annnswers ..feel free to repond witgh a smartass post...(pretend you are on def comedy jam).....

kotte

No one knows what's in the box but it's probably the her head.
* She lacks a head.
* Goodman is the one who gives it to him. A madman gives him a box with something in it.

There are several interpretations of the final scene but some say it represents his state of mind...how he's been set free or something. I'm not sure. Knowing the Coens it's probably just a guy on a beach with a box.

MacGuffin

Quote from: NEON MERCURYtwo questionns

1..whats in the box

and as always if you donn't know the annnswers ..feel free to repond witgh a smartass post...(pretend you are on def comedy jam).....

1. A MacGuffin

2. If they weren't there, you'd still be watching the movie, as would I from when it first was released.

I'm not def, nor do I jam, sorry.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

I think I heard or read that Coens described the movie as a guy who ends up on a beach with a head in a box.
WWPTAD?

Sleepless

I really really really love every film the Coens have done. It's strange, but each of their movies are so completely different, but they're all definately Coen films. O Brother and TMWWT are opposite ends of the spectrum, but they made one straight after the other.

Personally I think Miller's Crossing is my favourite Coen film. Although I really can't choose. It's not fair. Everyone of their films has something really good going for it. I think Intolerable Cruelty is prob their weakest film, but then there were reasons for that... I think Fargo and Big Lebowski are probably the most definitive Coen movies though.

But they are all awesome.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

fulty

Quote from: NEON MERCURYtwo questionns
1..whats in the box
Just saw the movie, very interesting, I really enjoyed it.
My guesses:
1. I think it's the "fear" of her head in the box.
2. And the final scenes confirm that Charlie is the devil and Barton really is in hell.

The hints:
Barton checks in to the hotel, the bell doesn't stop ringing until Chet crawls out of the ground.  The ringing was like nails on a chalkboard..!!
He takes the "EL"evator.  Everything he does turns sour.  He has writers block, and the person he sees typing a hundred words a minute is just uncreative secretary stuff.  The shoes = souls.?  The Bible in the nightstand was not a Bible.  When he squishes the mosquito, it's like killing one of God's children.?

Sorry, I am facinated.
I just didn't get what Barton did to go to hell.
Sell out to Hollywood.?

I think this is worth purchasing the DVD.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

jwebb202

killer flees on horseback with the girl, the cop.s after them on a motorcycle

ElPandaRoyal

Any Lebowski friend is a friend of mine. And by Lebowski, I mean The Dude.
Si

El Duderino

yeah, Lebowski, by far, then Fargo, then Barton Fink. I really didnt like The Man Who Wasn't There very much, except for James Gandolfini and Scarlett.

and i've never seen Blood Simple.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: El DuderinoI really didnt like The Man Who Wasn't There very much

I'd say it's my second favourite.
Si

SiliasRuby

For me my top three are these
1. The Big Lebowski
2. Fargo
And a tie for 3rd it's Raising Arizona and Barton Fink
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

wilder

A rare TV documentary — The Coen Brothers (2000). During the promotional campaign for O Brother, Where Art Thou? in 1999, the BBC showed a 50 minute documentary about the Coen brothers. It was mainly concerned with the Coen's past and featured interviews with many of the actors that have worked with the Coens along with family, friends and crew members.

Cloudy

^That was really great. I haven't seen a film director as obviously stoned in an interview before as Joel was in this.

Might as well, in the spirit of ILD release, for the ones I've watched repeatedly:

1. Big Lebowski
2. A Serious Man
2. Miller's Crossing
2. Barton Fink
3. No country

Reel

my favorite coen's goes:

No Country For Old Men
Fargo
The Man Who Wasn't There
The Big Lebowski
Blood Simple

and that's all I have to add to this thread

MacGuffin

Coen Brothers' Next Film: 'Hail Caesar' A Fixer In 1950s Hollywood

EXCLUSIVE: Joel and Ethan Coen are putting together their next film, and it's about a fixer in Hollywood circa 1950s who works for the studios to protect the stars of the day. Entitled Hail Caesar, the comical yarn centers on a man named Eddie Mannix who sounds a lot like the Fred Otash of his day — the famed 1950s private investigator who worked for Confidential magazine and was the muckraker of the time using wiretaps to spy on movie stars and gather dirt. Otash was a former lifeguard who became a cop, then helped operate a call girl ring and lost his job as a cop and became a private eye who wiretapped. The project is being put together now. It's not clear if the Eddie Mannix in the script is based on the man of the same who was a MGM vp, for those of you wondering.
It was not unusual during the time for studios' internal security to protect their assets to construct and manage the squeaky clean image of their stars. The big stars of the day were under contracts for a certain number of pictures so the powerful studios had their own go-to guys (and sometimes hired outside investigators) to deep-six scandalous stories, whether it be romantic dalliances, drug use, DUIs, arrests, you name it. For the more serious threats, the fixers used pay-outs, strong-arming, and took care of "problems" (real or perceived) by any means necessary. It was the day of the old Hollywood star system.

A man I knew very well, Milton Ebbins, who was like my second father and was the liaison between Hollywood and the Kennedy White House, took care of the Rat Pack in a similar fashion, cleaning up behind the scenes for the boys. I would hear story after story about Old Hollywood and this kind of behavior. Pay-offs, a trip to Hawaii for a girl who witnessed something she shouldn't have, money carried in envelopes or brown paper bags, and threats to make problems go away were not unusual. That behavior among Hollywood's elite — illegal wiretapping, threats and a corruption of the Los Angeles' legal system — continued up until 2002 when the current Hollywood fixer, Anthony Pellicano, was arrested and thrown into prison (after threatening my life and illegally wiretapping my phones).

Hail Caesar follows the Coen brothers' critically acclaimed Inside Llewyn Davis which was set in New York's folk music community and starred Oscar Isaac. The Coens won Best Picture, Directing and Writing Oscars for No Country For Old Men and won for best writing for Fargo, which has been spun off now as a event TV series on FX. They are repped by UTA.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks