Flubbed lines

Started by metroshane, May 31, 2004, 02:10:31 PM

metroshane

Having just finished my feature...I'm now in the editing process.  While on this venture I'm finding that I'm entertained and often enjoy takes with flubbed llines more than those perfect takes.  (I repeatedly coached my actors to carry on if they flub)  My justification is that people rarely talk perfectly and flubs are a part of everyday speech...but you rarely see it in movies.  

Am I making a mistake by allowing some flubs to make the print?
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Raikus

It really depends on what makes it work as a whole. I've always enjoyed movies that have flubs in it (I just finished watching 'Grosse Point Blank' so that one easily comes to mind). Sometimes it's maddening in a movie how perfect and articulate actors are. It's good to have variety in characters and I think some of that comes from the everyman approach of dialogue.

How many people do you talk to a day who don't say 'ah' or 'um' every three sentences?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

kotte

Quote from: metroshaneAm I making a mistake by allowing some flubs to make the print?

You are not making a mistake allowing mess-ups...if it's in character it can be great.

mutinyco

Watch American Graffiti. Lucas specifically chose the takes with mistakes.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

metroshane

I've seen American Grafitti probably 30 times.  Maybe that's why I like it so much.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Ravi

Quote from: RaikusIt really depends on what makes it work as a whole. I've always enjoyed movies that have flubs in it (I just finished watching 'Grosse Point Blank' so that one easily comes to mind). Sometimes it's maddening in a movie how perfect and articulate actors are. It's good to have variety in characters and I think some of that comes from the everyman approach of dialogue.

It also depends on whether the lines sound like real people genuinely messing up what they are saying or actors flubbing lines.

QuoteHow many people do you talk to a day who don't say 'ah' or 'um' every three sentences?

Or "like" every three words.  But film dialogue shouldn't necessarily replicate real dialogue.  Sometimes film dialogue is too articulate, but a lot of "ums" and stuttering, etc. would probably bog down a film.  I would get fed up if I heard "like" throughout a film unless it was for comic effect.