What's In Your DVD Player?

Started by cine, April 26, 2004, 07:29:53 PM

godardian

Ooh, modage, you treated yourself today! I love both of those films.

Sunrise, I'm jealous. After Piano Teacher and Cache, I'm dying to see more Haneke. How is it?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Alethia

i know i'm not sunrise but ive seen five of his movies and code unknown is still my favorite

Sunrise

Quote from: godardian on February 22, 2006, 11:05:17 PM
Sunrise, I'm jealous. After Piano Teacher and Cache, I'm dying to see more Haneke. How is it?

Incredible!! Why I had waited so long to see this I have no idea. Generally I will watch a Netflix once and get it in the mail. I will be keeping Code until I can watch it again...probably this weekend. Haneke is an exciting discovery.

Pubrick

Quote from: Sunrise on February 23, 2006, 07:18:24 AM
Haneke is an exciting discovery.
yeah, he seems to exist in a constant state of discovery around here.
under the paving stones.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Reinhold

so in 14 years, haneke will be the new godard. that's fine with me.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

penfold0101

"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

modage

i liked the former more than i thought i would and the later less.  that said, kino could atleast pretend to give a shit about their transfers, it looked like absolute shit.  and i dont watch wong kar wai films to have them filled with dust scratches and an overall terrible transfer.  the dvd cover also looks like shit, and that is why kino will never be criterion.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

penfold0101

"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

modage

i would NEVER have imagined myself watching a UPN show about high schoolers, but here were are.  and it's good.  so far, real good.  more details and a VM thread to follow...

Sunrise

I haven't visited Amores Perros in a couple of years. I just read the Amores Perros BFI Modern Classic and had to throw this in.

McfLy

The Ice Harvest, directed by Harold Ramis. Here's hoping it delivers...

penfold0101

Fried Octopus