Robert McKee's story seminar

Started by jtm, April 14, 2004, 05:23:03 PM

SoNowThen

Inspiration = watching dvds

dvds = $

therefore, inspiration = $
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pastor Parsley

inspiration = reading a well written book or script

book or script = free through inter-library loan

therefore,

inspiration = free if you're remotely motivated

Q.E.D.

SoNowThen

library card = $12

therefore, now that we've got to the bottom of it,

inspiration = $12 (canadian funds)
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mutinyco

Quote from: SoNowThenInspiration = watching dvds

dvds = $

No, inspiration comes from life and your own imagination. Other movies should exist soley to show you what other people have done. Film is only a medium. A medium for communicating ideas. You have to have ideas first. You're not going to get them from other people's ideas. Then you wind up with Kill Bill.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

cowboykurtis

Quote from: mutinyco

dvds = $

You have to have ideas first. You're not going to get them from other people's ideas. Then you wind up with Kill Bill.

amen brother. couldnt agree with you more.
...your excuses are your own...

molly

I've read only one book about writing - it was Stephen King's On Writing. Can't tell you if it's good or bad, but everything that i've read i "knew" intuitively, i knew when sth taht i wrote "sounds" ok or shaky. The good thing that those books provide is that they take of your chest a littlebit of uncertainity, make the process of writing less distant, because when i think of the word "writing" names of classics go through my mind and it instantly makes me feel sick.

Pastor Parsley

You have to have ideas first. You're not going to get them from other people's ideas. Then you wind up with Kill Bill.

I second that.

ono

Quote from: cowboykurtis

dvds = $

amen brother. couldnt agree with you more.
Yep.  Not only that, but anyone with a library card can watch movies for free.  And anyone who doesn't make it a habit of stealing from libraries can watch their movies.  Ergo, inspiration = free.

SoNowThen

Library cards cost money. Getting to the library via bus costs money.

Therefore, inspiration = $

I'm stressing the stupid joke because you guys continue to be so dead serious about this. Who cares how someone is inspired, as long as they make good films? Nearly every filmmaker worth his salt has been accused of being unoriginal at some point.

You CAN get ideas from other people's ideas.

El Duderino

Quote from: SoNowThenlibrary card = $12

really? mine was free.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

ono

A library card costs MAYBE two or three bucks, a one-time fee.  At least, it did when I got mine, but that was years ago.  All public buses in my town are free.  And, if you attend a university, that card is free, and universities have great libraries.  Maybe it's just different in Canada.

Okay, that horse is pretty much horseburger now.

SoNowThen

Hehehe, yeah.

What it's like in Edmonton:

(if you don't go to university, cos apparently they are the most important people in the world and get fuggin discounts on everything)

My card cost me $12 Canadian, or $.000007 American.....

Buses ain't free.

Really though, I have no problem paying $12 for a library card, especially when the library is so well stocked.

Anyway, maybe it comes down to the fact that you pretty much need money to make movies, even on the lowest possible scale. It's not really a poor man's game...

cine

Quote from: SoNowThenMy card cost me $12 Canadian, or $.000007 American.....
I stopped using that joke when I realized the exchange rate was really, really good.  :)

SoNowThen

FOR NOW

*bum bum bum bum bum*

:-D

Kal

Ok I'm going to his Genre Seminar... Yeah maybe some people think its throwing money away... or that the guy is a clown... I personally think its a good way to listen to someone that knows the stuff and can maybe tell me some things I dont know... Yes I read his book and many others and maybe its all there... but when you listen to a planned seminar for 3 days its different... and you also have the chance to network and meet interesting people...

I have all the info here and I will register as soon as I clear up some things on my schedule. It seems very interesting. If anyone has experienced it I would like some feedback, comments, suggestions, whatever you have (except for smartass/dumb/offending remarks).