the genius of steve martin

Started by sphinx, February 24, 2003, 08:45:24 PM

MacGuffin

Kline is Inspector Dreyfus in The Pink Panther
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Kevin Kline is in talks to team up with Steve Martin in The Pink Panther for MGM and director Shawn Levy. Beyonce Knowles and Jean Reno also star in the project which starts shooting this May in New York, followed by Paris.

The new version follows the story of chief Inspector Dreyfus (Kline), who needs an idiot to take over the investigation of the missing legendary "Pink Panther" diamond ring. The person he needs is a fool who will divert public attention that in turn will make him look better when he solves the case himself. He then turns to Inspector Clouseau (Martin).

In the "Pink Panther" films, Inspector Dreyfus was played by Herbert Lom, who originated the role in 1964's A Shot in the Dark.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

1st pink panther production stills:

dtheatre.com

Pubrick

oh god, jean reno is in this.

i'm sorry.
under the paving stones.

cine

Seeing these stills of Martin makes me think I'll be cringing a lot during the movie afterall.

Just Withnail

Every time I see the title of this thread I think "is nonexistent", and those stills right there just seems to prove my point...

cine

Well I'm not going to cringe because it's Steve Martin. I'm going to cringe because it won't matter HOW GOOD he is... he won't surpass Peter Sellers.

So there is a genius to Steve Martin... but it's irrelevent for this movie.

jonas

"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

Just Withnail

Quote from: CinephileSo there is a genius to Steve Martin... but it's irrelevent for this movie.

Could we agree on "was"?

cine

Quote from: ...& I
Quote from: CinephileSo there is a genius to Steve Martin... but it's irrelevent for this movie.
Could we agree on "was"?
He didn't lose that genius just because he's back to being a big box office draw. And the Steve Martin of 2004 isn't going to do the movies he did in the 70's. The genius is still there.. its just a lot more subtle now for people to notice, I guess.

Pubrick

Quote from: ...& I

Could we agree on "was"?

sure, in as much as all experience is in the past..

under the paving stones.

cine

foray

Steve Martin is associated with the Monty Python chaps, isn't he? I heard of an interview he did with them after one of them died, and they brought the guy's ashes to the interview and spilled it all over the floor. Wonder if I'll ever get to see that; sounds hilarious. Steve Martin + Monty Python = must be good.

f
touch me i'm sick

cine

Quote from: foraySteve Martin is associated with the Monty Python chaps, isn't he? I heard of an interview he did with them after one of them died, and they brought the guy's ashes to the interview and spilled it all over the floor. Wonder if I'll ever get to see that; sounds hilarious. Steve Martin + Monty Python = must be good.
Steve Martin was not in attendance for that. That was when all the Python members were having an interview for the first time in several years as a troupe together. They brought the urn and rested it on the coffee table in front of them and one of them accidently kicked it over. Then they scrambled to clean it up then just swept his ashes under the carpet.