the genius of steve martin

Started by sphinx, February 24, 2003, 08:45:24 PM

godardian

My favorite Steve Martin movie is L.A. Story, but my favorite Steve Martin performance is probably The Jerk.

Parenthood ends up undermining itself, but in the meantime, it ain't half bad.

I've never seen Pennies from Heaven, but Pauline Kael raved about how great it was for decades, so I intend to see it as soon as I can get my hands on the DVD without actually purchasing it...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

dufresne

favorite films of Steve Martin are Planes, Trains & Automobiles and Parenthood.  

i think it has to do more with fond memories of going to the movies w/ my dad more than Steve Martin's performances... :cry:  :-D
There are shadows in life, baby.

modage

MGM Wants Steve Martin for Pink Panther
Source: Variety Monday, October 13, 2003

MGM has offered Steve Martin the lead role of Inspector Clouseau in Birth of the Pink Panther, hoping that Martin will spearhead the rebirth of the comic franchise originated by Peter Sellers. Len Blum wrote the script for Montecito partners Ivan Reitman and Tom Pollock. If a deal can be worked out, Martin would star in the film in 2004.

MGM has been trying for years to rebirth the "Pink Panther" franchise, which placed bumbling crime fighter Inspector Clouseau in high-level crime situations that always resulted in strong pratfall and farcical comedy.

Blum's prequel script has the inept sleuth assigned to solve the murder of the nation's soccer team coach while investigating the disappearance of the legendary Pink Panther diamond. That bauble, the national treasure of the Eastern state of Lugash, frequently disappeared in the earlier Panther pics.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

coffeebeetle

I hope he takes the Pink Panther job.  Christ, whenever I think of that Bringing Down the House with Latifah, I slap my forehead in stupified wonder.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

MacGuffin

Steve Martin is Officially Inspector Clouseau
Source: Moviehole

Moviehole sent this update about the casting of Steve Martin in the upcoming The Birth of the Pink Panther movie:

It was the swankiest party of the year, as MGM vice chairman Chris McGurk greeted select media and industry types at his Beverly Hills mansion, and our own Paul Fischer was there. Stars adorned the palatial grounds, from Diane Lane, Eva Mendes and Queen Latifah, to stars of TV's Dead Like Me. While the food was divine, McGurk left the best to last, with his long-awaited announcement, that just an hour prior to the party beginning, none other than Steve Martin has signed on the dotted line as the all-new Inspector Clouseau, in MGM's upcoming The Birth of the Pink Panther. The news was greeted with rapturous applause, prior to the evening's musical entertainment. McGurk joked that we can finally forget talking about Windtalkers and concentrate on an MGM future that includes Barbershop 2, Beauty Shop, more Bond and more Cody Banks.

Peter Sellers played the original bumbling detective.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Shawn Levy Directing Steve Martin in Pink Panther
Source: MGM Monday, November 17, 2003

Just in time to celebrate the Pink Panther's 40th birthday, Steve Martin has signed on to step into Inspector Jacques Clouseau's gumshoes in MGM Pictures' all-new comedy The Birth of the Pink Panther, it was announced today by Chris McGurk, vice chairman and COO of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Inc., and Michael Nathanson, president & COO of MGM Pictures. In what will be the ninth film in the studio's immensely popular Pink Panther franchise, Martin will put his own touch on the beloved Clouseau character working with his Cheaper by the Dozen director Shawn Levy. Dozen's Robert Simonds will produce the comedy from a script by Len Blum, with Tracey Trench as executive producer. Production is set to begin in spring 2004.

"We are thrilled that Steve, Bob, and Shawn have all signed on for 'The Birth of the Pink Panther'," says McGurk. "The Pink Panther series is one of MGM's most successful and enduring franchises, and we're pleased to have assembled such a stellar creative team to take the new film in a fresh and exciting direction."

"Steve, Bob and Shawn have already been working on hilarious ideas that I think will surprise many people," says Nathanson. "We're already helping them pursue their inspired casting choices and putting the finishing touches on a wonderful script; it's an immensely exciting project for the studio."

"This is more than just a movie for us," says producer Simonds. "We understand what a huge priority this is for MGM, so it's an incredible honor to be a part of it. It's a dream project for all of us involved."

"Steve is an inspired comedian and a great actor; he's a perfect choice to play Inspector Clouseau," says director Levy, whose hit comedy Just Married made over $100 million worldwide. "Our working relationship is so fluid at this point that I look forward to taking it to the next level with the Pink Panther franchise."

Released in 1964, The Pink Panther was the first film in the Panther franchise. Directed by Blake Edwards from a script by Maurice Richlin and Edwards, The Pink Panther featured bumbling Inspector Jacques Clouseau as played by legendary actor Peter Sellers. The character was so popular with audiences he spawned seven follow-up films: A Shot in the Dark, Return of the Pink Panther, The Pink Panther Strikes Again, Revenge of the Pink Panther, Trail of the Pink Panther, Curse of the Pink Panther, and Son of the Pink Panther. Blake Edwards directed all eight films. Revenge of the Pink Panther was Sellers' last film as Clouseau, though outtakes and never-before-seen footage were used to bring Sellers back onscreen in Trail of the Pink Panther after his death. Ted Wass starred as Clouseau in Curse of the Pink Panther, while Academy Award-winner Roberto Begnini took over the reins as Clouseau's heir in Son of the Pink Panther. Revered for its inspired brand of slapstick style, the series is also known for Henry Mancini's Grammy-winning theme song as well as the Oscar-winning Pink Panther cartoon character, who was born in the opening credits of the first Panther film. Contrary to popular belief, the original Pink Panther was neither Inspector Clouseau nor the cartoon; it was actually a rare and valuable diamond featured in the first film. The diamond had a piece of pink amber in its center that looked like a leaping panther.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

sphinx

sigh

"come on amy let's go home"

Sigur Rós

MacGuffin

WENN reports that International Superstar Jackie Chan has signed up to join Steve Martin in the new Pink Panther movie. Chan will play Inspector Clouseau's hapless servant Kato in "Birth Of The Pink Panther".

Following the news, Steve Martin has secured the role famously played by the late Peter Sellers in the hit series of comedies. Chan replaces Burt Kwouk in the role, which will see Kato joining Clouseau in trying to solve the murder of the French soccer team manager.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Has anyone seen Pennies from Heaven? Some love it, some hate it. Any thoughts? I think it's not on DVD...

Throw a shoe at me if I've asked this before.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Pubrick

Quote from: godardianI think it's not on DVD...
pfft, then it's not worth mentioning.
under the paving stones.

godardian

Quote from: P
Quote from: godardianI think it's not on DVD...
pfft, then it's not worth mentioning.

Certainly not worth renting.

MacGuffin

Knowles and Reno Joining The Pink Panther
Source: Variety

MGM is in talks with Beyonce Knowles to play the chief suspect in a diamond heist in The Pink Panther and has signed French star Jean Reno (Ronin) to play Inspector Clouseau's traveling companion, reports Variety.

Steve Martin plays the comical French detective as he bumbles through the investigation to find the legendary "Pink Panther" diamond ring.

Reno will play his driver Ponton, who's secretly an undercover cop assigned by the boss to keep an eye on Clouseau. Knowles is eyeing the role of Xania, a pop singer whose suddenly dead boyfriend owned the rock.

The film, which began with a Len Blum script, is now prepping after Martin turned in a polish of the script. Shawn Levy (Cheaper by the Dozen) is directing.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

How does Beyonce Knowles keep getting roles? I've seen goldmember and that movie she did with radio and it wasn't very good, granted she is gorgeous but there are plenty of amazing actresses who could and would suit roles such as this better. irks me to no end. Jean Reno is cool though.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

Quote from: StefenHow does Beyonce Knowles keep getting roles?
because she will begin to think she is a real actress, and when hot chicks start thinking that they start doing crazy things to get attention/respect.. like extreme nudity.

i'm grateful that these ppl are giving her the opportunity to eventually appear naked at 500K a nipple/cheek.
under the paving stones.