the genius of steve martin

Started by sphinx, February 24, 2003, 08:45:24 PM

Jeremy Blackman

OK, I'm sorry. I had no idea my John Hughes grudge would get me in more trouble than my Scorsese grudge.

I'll admit this: I haven't seen Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.. and I haven't seen Sixteen Candles or the Breakfast Club. I know I know I know I'm sorry I'm making an assumption based on a few bad movies I've seen, but right now I don't think I can tolerate his style without cringing.

Quote from: XixaxAlthough I guess I can't be too harsh since I diss the Beatles every chance I get.

I take my apologies back. Every one of them.

jtm

I just looked up John Hughes on imdb.......maybe he shouldn't be allowed to be on this board,  that man is responsible for alot of shite!!!

Pubrick

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI had no idea my John Hughes grudge would get me in more trouble than my Scorsese grudge.
u hav a Scorsese grudge?? fuck outta here!
under the paving stones.

Sigur Rós

I like him....sometimes....He is THE 80's comedy-man Nr.1....But i dont like his recent work. But he seems like a nice guy and he plays the banjo  :-D

ProgWRX

Ferris Bueller is classic.
8)

I think Steve Martin *can* be very funny, given the right script and ensemble of actors. I also had that fondness with Three Amigos when I was little  :-D
-Carlos

temple5150

The Man with Two Brains...the happy hooker...Duke of Earl. Idellibly ingrained in my mind!
I'm so intense...coffee should drink ME!

budgie

Quote from: polkabluesI'm the only person I know who has seen, bought, and loved "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid".

And I liked "Man With Two Brains", dagnabbit.

No, you are not. Alright, haven't bought, but have seen four times and love.

Also The Man is one of my favourite Steve Martins. Totally absurd and yet oh so charming. There are few films of his that I have seen that I haven't enjoyed, even that one with Goldie Hawn. All Of Me and Roxanne I would always watch.

Xixax

Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Redlum

I think Steve Martin has the "lets put on an Adam Sandler" factor that PTA mentioned, for me.

I love Roxanne, especially the semi-fight scene with the sporting equipment.

I recently saw "A strange twist of fate" and wasnt quite sure what to think of it. In some ways it was a nice little film, in other ways I just think the script was just too bad. Cool ending though...well I didnt see it coming.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

polkablues

I would love "Roxanne" if it wasn't for Darryl Hannah, who besides having a man's name (and a redneck man's name at that), is perhaps my least favorite actress of all time.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Quote from: budgie
Quote from: polkabluesI'm the only person I know who has seen, bought, and loved "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid".

No, you are not. Alright, haven't bought, but have seen four times and love.

Same as budgie, although the number of viewing might be more.

I probably saw this film before I saw most of the other films the clips were taken from, and I still think of Steve Martin in drag pretending to be James Cagney's mother whenever I watch "White Heat". This film ruined my enjoyment of classic noirs... but in a good way.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

budgie

Three Amigos was just on tv. Just had to go with it. I love the guy who plays El Guapo, and Martin Short was excellent, specially in spoofing/homaging the silent acting style.

ono

Funny, I was just wondering if anyone else here has seen Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid.  Now that's an original movie.  Too, too funny, too.  I was flipping through the channels one night a couple years back, and got to AMC, and was wondering, "hey, what's Steve Martin doing in a black and white film?"  Classic.

children with angels

I adore that movie! "You don't DESERVE a puppy..."

My favourite Steve Martin has got to be LA Story though: it did what American Beauty did eight years later, but much funnier...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

sphinx

oh no.  oh no.

one of the character posters from the movie