tom hanks.

Started by NEON MERCURY, February 24, 2004, 12:56:14 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: Zigur RózBut hell I cried the first time I saw Forrest Gump....what can I say - I'm a sensitive guy.

"I'm not a smart man but I know what love is!"

.....damn, just thinkin' of it makes me cry.

yes dude! i posted this in the Saddest Movie Moment thread some 7 months ago..

Quote from: Pfor me: forrest gump "i might not be a smart man, but i know what love is" and then he runs out into the rain. that always makes me do the old "there's sumthin in my eye".
i can't hate the guy after that.
under the paving stones.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: P
Quote from: Zigur RózBut hell I cried the first time I saw Forrest Gump....what can I say - I'm a sensitive guy.

"I'm not a smart man but I know what love is!"

.....damn, just thinkin' of it makes me cry.

yes dude! i posted this in the Saddest Movie Moment thread some 7 months ago..

Quote from: Pfor me: forrest gump "i might not be a smart man, but i know what love is" and then he runs out into the rain. that always makes me do the old "there's sumthin in my eye".
i can't hate the guy after that.

I'm still gonna kick your ass.....

mogwai

meh, the hostility!! what have i done?

Sigur Rós

Quote from: mogwaimeh, the hostility!! what have i done?

, , ,

Thank you so much for everything.

mogwai

before we ruin another thread i just want to ask you sigur..

what's worse? abba or hep stars?

Sigur Rós

Quote from: mogwaiwhat's worse? abba or hep stars?

To be honest, I hate them both so very very much. Benny is a cool guy though.  :wink:

phil marlowe

Quote from: Zigur Róz

Thank you so much for everything.

HAHAHAHAHAAAA FUCKING CLASSIC ! !!

Find Your Magali

Wait, I like ABBA!

Is Hanks directing an ABBA biopic?

I've lost my way so badly in this thread....

MacGuffin

Hanks & Kasdan Playing Risk Pool
Source: Variety

Castle Rock and Warner Bros. will turn the Richard Russo novel The Risk Pool into a star vehicle for Tom Hanks, with Lawrence Kasdan (Dreamcatcher) writing the script and directing, reports Variety.

Set in the same upstate New York location that is the usual haunt in Russo's books, the project tells the story of a man who is suddenly charged with raising his son, after his estranged wife has a nervous breakdown.

Hanks will play a charming petty thief and gambler, whose unreliability puts him on the lowest rung of the insurance risk pool.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

El Duderino

Hanks Having a Riot on First Visit to Cannes
Source: Reuters

CANNES, France (Reuters) - Oscar winner Tom Hanks said on Wednesday the Cannes film festival scared off some directors afraid of a poor reception, but as far as he was concerned it was one giant perk.

"It beats absolutely everything. It's sunglasses and paparazzi and red carpets and screenings at night and it's a blast," Hanks told Reuters in an interview at the French Riviera resort.

The "Forrest Gump" star is attending the world's top film festival for the first time in a career stretching almost 25 years.

He plays the larger-than-life Professor Dorr in Joel and Ethan Coen's remake of "The Ladykillers," about a group of hapless criminals who meet their match in a little old lady. The film is one of 19 competing for the Palme d'Or best film award.

With 5,000 showbusiness reporters in attendance, the festival can make or break the reputation of a film. Risk-averse Hollywood studios are only just beginning to view it as a launching pad for their summer blockbuster releases.

"This concept of the game of the competition that all films are in, it scares away an awful lot of people," said Hanks.

"I've had films that they've thought about maybe trying to get in competition in Cannes, but then withdrawing it because they're afraid of this kind of thumbs down, or thumbs up aspect of the gladiatorial contest that goes on," he said.

"I think it's great, I think that everybody does that anyway. They either love the movie or they hate it or they greet it with kind of like a tepid response," he said.

"The Ladykillers" has had mixed reviews in the United States but was warmly received at Cannes, where the Coen brothers have become an almost annual fixture.

Striding up the red carpet with his wife Rita Wilson on Tuesday night, Hanks turned the tables on the press pack, motioning to photographers to smile as his wife took a souvenir snap.

Earlier, the affable actor had delighted reporters at a press conference with a stream of self-deprecating jokes. He said he was not worried about walking away with the best actor prize.

"I'm just having fun here. Not only am I having fun but somebody else is paying for it, that's the key. I have a very lovely hotel room and they provide me with a boat every morning and I don't have to pay a dime so, hey man, I'm on a busman's holiday."
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

modage

Quote from: El Duderino"The Ladykillers" has had mixed reviews in the United States but was warmly received at Cannes, where the audiences were so excited to see Tom Hanks they didnt realize the movie completely sucked.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Tom Hanks Deciphers The Da Vinci Code
Source: Newsweek November 14, 2004

Tom Hanks has been pegged to play the lead role in Sony's upcoming film The Da Vinci Code, the adaptation of author Dan Brown's best-selling thriller, Newsweek has learned. Director Ron Howard and producer Brian Grazer, the duo who helped make Hanks a star with their 1984 comedy Splash and rehired him 11 years later for Apollo 13, cast Hanks as the globe-trotting scholar Robert Langdon, a decision based partially on the cerebral (riddle-solving, code-cracking) nature of the action in "Da Vinci."

"Tom is an exciting actor to watch thinking," Howard tells the magazine. "We probably don't need his status from a box-office standpoint" -- by now, The Da Vinci Code sells itself -- "but he gives Langdon instant legitimacy."

Howard and Grazer are taking their time casting "Da Vinci," but plan to hire actual foreign actors to play the book's foreign characters. "If there's any book that's supposed to be an international thriller, says Grazer, "this is it." Grazer tells Newsweek that one recent Oscar winner inquired about the role of Parisian cryptologist Sophie Neveu, "and she could easily do it. But I think the audience would be let down a bit. They expect a French girl." As for the role of bullish cop Bezu Fache, Gordon reports that Jean Reno is on Grazer's short list.

Grazer first got wind of The Da Vinci Code early in 2003, when Joel Surnow -- creator of the acclaimed TV series 24 -- thought "Da Vinci" would make a terrific story line for the show's third season. Surnow asked his boss, Grazer, to look into acquiring the rights. But as Brown had no intention of handing over his book to a mere TV show, Grazer says that "it quickly became clear that we had no chance." A few months later Sony paid $6 million for the movie rights -- and hired Grazer as the producer for the biggest film adaptation since "Harry Potter."

The 53-year-old Grazer, who also paired with Howard on the Oscar-winning A Beautiful Mind, has several upcoming projects on his slate, including an animated Curious George film with Will Ferrell and Fun with Dick and Jane starring Jim Carrey. Grazer is also producing a documentary about the notorious skinflick Deep Throat, Gordon reports. Due out in February, it may be the first NC-17 movie released by a major studio in years.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Finally ... President Hanks
To star in HBO founding father mini.

The Boston Herald reports that two-time Oscar-winner Tom Hanks will portray John Adams, the second president of the United States, in the long-gestating HBO miniseries.

Hanks is also producing the adaptation of Pulitzer Prize-winner David McCullough's acclaimed biography of Adams along with the cable network.

There's no word yet on who will portray his beloved wife Abigail or son (and future president) John Quincy Adams.

Adams was a Massachusetts native so the production is scouting locations to film there. According to the Herald, "the Mass. Film Bureau have taken producer Jeffrey Stott to the Adams House in Quincy, home to four generations of Adamses. But producers are deciding between Massachusetts and Virginia for the shoot."

Hanks previously produced the HBO miniseries Band of Brothers and From the Earth to the Moon.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gabe

Quote from: NEON MERCURY....and he seems to be a cool cat to go out and ask change for......i bet he would give it to you...and i bet he would buy you a meal at McDonalds........

Haha, did you see " Frankenstein Wastes a minute of our time " on Conan? Conan goes " I think its gonna be something interesting this time" and Frankenstein discovers Tom Hanks, Hanks waves at the camera and then he's pushed  out of the way by Frankenstein to reveal a light switch. AhHaahahaha! How cool does a guy have to be to be in that bit of all Conan's bits?

My Favorite Riff on Tom hanks was Paul Mooney on Chappelles Show:

We got Tom Cruise in "Last Samurai" Brad Pitt in "The Mexican" And then Paul Mooney has his new movie to be released " The Last Nigga On Earth starring Tom Hanks. " He truly is that Curley haired Honkey that is the perfect subject for a joke like that.

I Love Hanks's dramas, You've Got Mail, Cast Away, Forrest Gump, Road To Perdition, something about him feels really 'everyman' and comfortable. . .to me, at least. To me he's like Jimmy Stewart.

MacGuffin

Hanks Rocks Around the Clock
Oscar-winner to helm Bill Haley biopic.

Sky reports that Oscar-winner Tom Hanks intends on directing and co-starring in an untitled biopic of the late Bill Haley, widely considered the first rock n' roll star. Haley and his Comets recorded such hits as "Rock Around the Clock" (the original theme song for Happy Days).

The site claims that "Tom's biopic will take up the story just as the fame and record deals start to take off." Filming will reportedly commence in early 2006.

"So many people cite the talent of Elvis Presley as the start of rock 'n' roll, and let's face it, Bill was there first," Hanks said (actually, Chuck Berry and Little Richard were there first). Hanks added that he intends on telling the true story (what biopic doesn't claim that?). "To me, that is the essence of a good film."

Skeleton FilmWorks