Uwe Boll

Started by meatball, February 22, 2004, 03:42:55 AM

pete

but people are rarely nice or insufferable all the time.  it all depends on how you engage them and how they interact with people.  obviously uwe boll is pleasant and charming when he's the star of his own screening.  the writer sounded semi star struck when he penned this piece.  it was like that todd barry observation, when he said he had a friend who met Michael Moore at a party and Moore was a perfectly nice guy, and Todd Barry's reaction was like "who isn't a nice guy at a party?"  It's the same thing working with accomplished filmmakers - you can't possibly define people with words like "nice" or "dickheads" because that shit changes all the time.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

SoNowThen

Oh.. uh, I should clarify, he wasn't "pleasant" to me in passing, or anything. An aquaintance who I helped do a music doc had worked parrallel to Boll and continually said what a solid guy he was (and this guy HATES Boll's movies, just hates them). Then, one of my business partners (who is, like me, a complete nobody on the very far fringes of the industry), just sent a little email to Uwe requesting some info/help (I dunno why, exactly), and Uwe hooked him up with a meeting with a foreign salesman type fella who reps Uwe's projects to markets and festivals, and soon (even though we really only develop personal art projects that have nothing in common with Boll's work) they offered to even display some of our advert artwork for potential projects at one of their booths.

I didn't want to go into detail cos I'm sure nothing will come of it, but it was just such a warm display of helpfulness COMPLETELY CONTRARY to what I have encountered previously from industry people in the US, Canada, and UK (well, actually, in the UK they were a pretty pleasant lot, to be honest).

But yeah, I gues Uwe could have been in a good mood that week. And then his assistant/contact guy was in a good mood for a few days, resulting in a free lunch and a nice meeting for my partner. Who can say...

Also, P... yeah, the Godard thing. I still speak no French, so please translate for me. I don't blame him for being a dick. That was more like Pete said -- I think if I could have caught him at a good time everything would have been golden. As it stands, it was still a great experience, Rolle was beautiful, and I got a lot done on that trip.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

picolas

uwe poll responds to online petition to stop him from making movies, hilarity ensues

Gold Trumpet

I saw Uwe Boll on Fox's Red Light a few months back. I thought he was great. His candor is unbelievable because the hosts were asking him straight up questions about what actors were assholes. In most interviews the interviewees try to be somewhat respectable with him, but the Fox hosts wanted dirt and he was as honest as can be.

I want him to keep making movies. I don't care if his movies are bad. They would still be made and still be bad without him, but he's refreshing in interviews. It's more entertaining than a lot of movies. Besides, the video gamers deserve Uwe Boll. Not all gamers are bad, but as a collective whole they are a suspicious bunch. The gamers on the board seem OK, but in my city they are down right arrogant nerds who chastize you for not knowing basic computer concepts.

for petes sake

More hilarity: Uwe mocking a film made by middle schoolers

MacGuffin

Edward Furlong set for 'Janjaweed'
Uwe Boll film stars Kristanna Loken, Billy Zane
Source: Variety

Edward Furlong ("American History X") will star alongside Billy Zane and Kristanna Loken in Uwe Boll's "Janjaweed." Drama is lensing in Cape Town, South Africa. The film follows American journalists confronting atrocities in Sudan.

Furlong next appears in John Morrissey's "Tequila," indie "This Is Not a Movie," and another Boll film, "Stoic."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

For about half a second, I thought, "Wait, didn't he die?"  Then I realized I was thinking of Brad Renfro.  Carry on.
My house, my rules, my coffee

wilder

Neil

I feel bad for him. But, at the same time, I hope that he is a man of his word.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Jeremy Blackman

This video is even better:

Neil

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

wilder

Uwe Boll Announces His Retirement From Filmmaking
via The Playlist

"Rampage: President Down" will mark Boll's final outing behind the camera because, as he tells Metro, the money is no longer there to keep things sustainable.

"The market is dead, you don't make any money anymore on movies because the DVD and Blu Ray market worldwide has dropped 80 per cent in the last three years. That is the real reason; I just cannot afford to make movies," the director said. "I can't go back to student filmmaking because I have made so many movies in my life, and I can't make cheaper and cheaper movies at my age. It's a shame. I would be happy to make movies but it is just not financially profitable."

However, Boll remains very proud of his work, including his attempts at issues-driven movies, like "Assault On Wall Street."

"It's way better than 'Wall Street 2' by Oliver Stone," he said of the film. "It's better researched, it's better written, it's better, but it doesn't have Michael Douglas."

----------------------------------------------------------------

I hope he becomes a professional vlogger.