Uwe Boll

Started by meatball, February 22, 2004, 03:42:55 AM

MacGuffin

Maligned Director KOs His Critics

Tired of the criticism of his films, controversial German film director Uwe Boll took on four of his critics in a Vancouver boxing ring, and ended each bout with a knockout.

The director of the vampire flick "BloodRayne," based on a video game and starring Kristanna Loken and Ben Kingsley, issued a fight challenge to his critics several months ago. Fifteen responded.

"I like now the critics," Boll told a news conference after the fights on Saturday. "Everybody who was in the ring showed (guts). Nobody dived.

"If they write about my movies without even seeing the movies then it's really annoying. If you make a movie like `House of the Dead,' a zombie movie, what are they expecting? `Schindler's List'?"

First in the ring with the director now dubbed "Raging" Boll was Richard Kyanka of Lee's Summit, Missouri, webmaster of http://www.somethingawful.com. He entered the ring clad in Stars and Stripes shorts.

"You are harboring a terrorist," he said of Boll to the Canadian crowd of about 600. "You are all guilty." Boll, grim-faced, KO'd him in the first round.

Jeff Sneider of Los Angeles, a journalist with Ain't It Cool News, went down in a technical knockout in the first round after his trainer threw in the towel.

He said Boll, 41, had told him it was just a joke, a public relations stunt.

"Then he started beating the crap out of my head," he said. "I think he's a jerk. This might be PR but I don't want to keep getting punched in the head."

Chris Alexander of Toronto, Ontario, a horror-move journalist with Rue Morgue radio and magazine, also went down in a knockout, but not before making an artistic statement.

While on the receiving end of a series of blows to the head, Alexander took Boll aback when a stream of blood spewed from his mouth. It turned out Alexander had taken a page from Boll's filmmaking book; the blood was fake.

"I had the fake blood in reserve," he explained.

"I spat it out. I freaked him out exactly like I wanted to do, it was poetry. It was my Jedi mind trick to try and disorient him."

He said he got in a punch for each of Boll's bad films. "I think I got him once in the face for `Alone in the Dark' and I got maybe one or two for `BloodRayne.'" he said. " I have absolutely no ... regrets. .. This is the weirdest pop culture bizarre journalism stunt I've ever been involved in."

Nelson Chance Mintner, a web site critic from Fredrick, Maryland, was the youngest fighter at 17. He also lost by technical knockout.

Actress Loken was in the audience for the bouts. "It's absolutely ridiculous. That's why I love him," she said.

Boll's next picture is "In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale."

Like "BloodRayne," it's also based on a video game. It features Loken again as well as Jason Statham, John Rhys-Davies, Ray Liotta, Matthew Lillard, Leelee Sobieski, Claire Forlani and Burt Reynolds.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Derek237

QuoteBoll's youngest opponent, 17-year-old Chance Mointer says, "I wasn't a big fan of House Of The Dead or Alone In The Dark, but after what he's shown me of Seed, I think it's fantastic." A triumphant Boll says, "See what happens when they take a blow to the head? They like my movies."

:lol:

pete

holy shit, did boll fight all of them in the same night?  Imma gonna start talking shit so I can fight him.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/2006-09-26/#3

Uwe Boll Knocks Out Critics

Cult German film director Uwe Boll has knocked out some of his harshest critics in the boxing ring, in revenge for their harsh reviews of his movies. The film-maker challenged journalists to a physical contest after they criticized his movie BloodRayne, which stars Sir Ben Kingsley and Kristanna Loken. Five people were selected to go fist-to-fist with Boll in a series of boxing matches, one of which took place in Malaga, Spain, while the others took place in Vancouver, Canada. And Boll proceeded to knock out every one of his opponents. Critic Richard Kyanka of website Something Awful says, "I feel great. I feel like a very angry German man punched me in the head repeatedly. He kept saying it was PR stunt and a joke, but then he comes on just 'murderizing' me. I want to have more kids someday, so I just said, 'I'm not going to stay in here and keep getting punched in the head.'" And Boll's youngest opponent, 17-year-old Chance Mointer says, "I wasn't a big fan of House Of The Dead or Alone In The Dark, but after what he's shown me of Seed, I think it's fantastic." A triumphant Boll says, "See what happens when they take a blow to the head? They like my movies."
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

matt35mm

Quote from: Walrus on September 26, 2006, 02:45:59 PM
Critic Richard Kyanka of website Something Awful says, "I feel great. I feel like a very angry German man punched me in the head repeatedly. He kept saying it was PR stunt and a joke, but then he comes on just 'murderizing' me. I want to have more kids someday, so I just said, 'I'm not going to stay in here and keep getting punched in the head.'" And Boll's youngest opponent, 17-year-old Chance Mointer says, "I wasn't a big fan of House Of The Dead or Alone In The Dark, but after what he's shown me of Seed, I think it's fantastic." A triumphant Boll says, "See what happens when they take a blow to the head? They like my movies."
So apparently he's fighting his most idiotic opponents.  First of all, getting punched in the head does little to your ability to produce offspring.  Second of all, that 17-year-old has been brainwashed or something.

This has proven to be a very lame PR stunt.

MacGuffin

Far Cry Movie Coming Soon
Uwe Boll preps his next game-to-film adaptation.

Perennial games-to-film helmer Uwe Boll is getting set for his next directorial effort, a movie version of Ubisoft's Far Cry. The illustrious Dr. Boll has revealed to IGN that the film will go into production in May 2007.

We expect the game-based flick to mirror the plot of the original Far Cry, centering on a man who finds himself tied to a chair inside an old cargo ship. He is freed by an unseen stranger, and sets out to escape his captors.

Michael Roesch and Peter Scheerer (Alone in the Dark) wrote the script for the film. A rewrite is being done by Art of War screenwriter Wayne Beach.

The film was previously reported to have a budget of around $25 million. Rumor has it that filmmakers were at one time interested in courting The Rock and Naomi Watts for the lead roles. That might seem like a bit of a casting stretch, but in the world of Uwe Boll, anything is possible!

Boll also tells us that he's working on sequels to Alone in the Dark and BloodRayne.

Next up from Boll are In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale and Postal.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Postal Notice
Uwe Boll unleashed!

"Postal will insult all cultures, religions, political groups and leaders. No one will be spared. The film is intended to provoke thought, laughter and open debate. Our world is out of balance and Postal will reflect just how (expletive) up we are."

So says Uwe Boll, director of the screen adaptation of the ultra-violent videogame Postal, in a posting at the Skewed and Reviewed website. The pugilist-filmmaker's screed claims Postal is a reaction to and commentary on everything from 9/11 to U.S. foreign policy.

"The world is in need of a film that is tougher in it's humorous mockery of the globe than South Park. The audience is ready to approach this type of satire with live actors rather than cartoons. Postal will not accept any form of censorship."

After calling for filmgoers to "wake up" and saying that the victims of 9/11 "were not heroes at all," Boll closes with: "May Postal shock, stir, offend and entertain you !!!!!"

http://www.sknr.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=759&Itemid=76

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 25, 2006, 11:57:05 PM
Postal Notice
Uwe Boll unleashed!

"Postal will insult all cultures, religions, political groups and leaders. No one will be spared. The film is intended to provoke thought, laughter and open debate. Our world is out of balance and Postal will reflect just how (expletive) up we are."

So says Uwe Boll, director of the screen adaptation of the ultra-violent videogame Postal, in a posting at the Skewed and Reviewed website. The pugilist-filmmaker's screed claims Postal is a reaction to and commentary on everything from 9/11 to U.S. foreign policy.

"The world is in need of a film that is tougher in it's humorous mockery of the globe than South Park. The audience is ready to approach this type of satire with live actors rather than cartoons. Postal will not accept any form of censorship."

After calling for filmgoers to "wake up" and saying that the victims of 9/11 "were not heroes at all," Boll closes with: "May Postal shock, stir, offend and entertain you !!!!!"

I feel like this is where Stan from South Park would say, "Jesus Christ, dude."

Neil

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 25, 2006, 11:57:05 PM
Postal Notice
Uwe Boll unleashed!

I think that the only think boll is capable of provoking is suicide...
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

MacGuffin

Uwe Boll Talks BloodRayne, Dungeon Siege & More
In this exclusive, controversial movie director Uwe Boll talks about his new Dungeon Siege movie (which debuts in Germany next summer), his upcoming sequel to BloodRayne and plans for the franchise, Far Cry and Ubisoft's involvement, and the next Alone in the Dark.
Source: Game Daily

Boll said that if this sequel can match what the first film did on DVD, then there will definitely be a third movie.

"I like the franchise," said Boll. "The third one will be in the Second World War where the first game was based. We'll likely film it in Eastern Europe to recreate those old German cities during WWII."

Boll may have to make a decision on which actress will reprise the role if a third film comes to fruition. Both Kristanna Loken, the original Rayne, and Natassia Malthe, the new Rayne, are interested in returning to the role. Boll joked that he could do a BloodRayne versus BloodRayne movie.

Next year will be very busy for Boll. In addition to the releases of In the Name of the King and BloodRayne II, Boll's finishing up Postal for a 2007 release. That film, based on the controversial Running with Scissors video game, stars Zack Ward, Dave Foley, Michael Pare, Chris Spencer, Chris Coppola and Boll, as himself. Gamers will start seeing teaser trailers for the film soon, featuring Osama Bin Laden. Boll will also release an original horror film, Seed, starring Michael Pare, next year.

On the production side, Boll expects to film Far Cry in Hawaii beginning in May 2007. That film will have a $30 million to $40 million budget and will feature a Hollywood star, possibly Jason Statham, who's waiting to see how the Dungeon Siege movie distribution is handled. Boll said he will definitely go after a known actor for this role, since he sees the film as a franchise and considers it the biggest game he has the rights to.

Although he optioned the film rights from developer CryTek, Boll said Ubisoft is very interested in working with him on the new film. He said the game publisher is eager to keep their franchise alive.

"Every other game I did so far, the game makers were happy I did a movie to support their franchise," said Boll. "With Far Cry, Ubisoft wants me to make a good movie because this is already a big franchise for them and they want to keep it going. I think they will be more involved in the whole process than the other companies before. We always want to make a good movie. In the past, the game companies never co-promoted the movie or even had a new game come out with the movie."

Boll believes that working with a big game publisher like Ubisoft will be a win-win for the film and game franchise. He said there are many ways to work with gaming press and the gaming audience to cross-promote the film and games. The Far Cry movie is expected out in 2008, which gives Ubisoft plenty of time to coordinate a new game release.

Boll has another original film based on the tunnel rats of the Vietnam War, which he will likely shoot back-to-back in Hawaii. He said the jungle and exterior scenes of both films will be shot on location in Hawaii and then the interior scenes will be filmed in either Vancouver or Eastern Europe.

Because he'll be busy with these projects, Boll said he'll pass the Alone in the Dark II movie on to writers Michael Roesch and Peter Scheerer (Far Cry, Alone in the Dark) to direct. Boll will produce the sequel, which he said will be set in New York City and based on the new game from Atari and Eden Studios. The sequel will likely have a budget of $7 million, about half of the $15 million the original had. Boll's contacted Christian Slater about reprising the role of Edward Carnby, but the actor hasn't decided yet.

"If he accepts that, he's the first choice to play him as Edward Carnby again," said Boll. "If he doesn't, I think we should go for someone who looks like Edward Carnby. In the new game, he looks more modern. Alone in the Dark is one of the games where the character face changed several times. He was more British-looking in the first one with glasses and in the fourth game he was more of a tough-looking paranormal investigator."

Boll's original film was tied into the last Alone in the Dark game, which Atari canceled and started over from scratch. As a result, the movie opened with no game tie-in. This time around, Atari has a big budget relaunch of the franchise for next generation consoles, which should only help the movie franchise.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Uwe Boll the film critic
Source: Arizona Daily Star

Reviled German director Uwe Boll, whose career is turning bad video games into worse movies, has taken many a beating from critics. He's dished out a few as well, having comically invited four Internet cinema pundits to take him on in boxing matches during the filming of his new film "Postal."

I met Boll last night when he was in Tucson screening "Postal" and found him an affable, humorous and intelligent guy, even though lunatic rants such as this seem to indicate otherwise. The movie isn't anything special, but it was worlds better than "The House of the Dead," the only film of Boll's I'd seen. Comedy seems to be more Boll's bag than drama. I'll hold off until release (either November or February, he says) for my review, but it's safe to say there will be some sort of audience for this. Some will walk out of the film halfway through in disgust, while others will be pleasently surprised.

At the preview screening, half the audience seemed to revel in the offensive absurdity while the other half (including me) sat in stunned, stone-faced silence. I guess that's the effect left by jokes that mock 9/11 victims, a scene with an invalid being used as a stepping stone for a man to hop a fence, and an extended sequence of gratuitous full-frontal male nudity.

Afterward Boll stayed for a Q&A in which he gamely handled some of the laziest questions any filmmaker will ever have to suffer through, including the old "What are your influences?" "How long did shooting take?" and "How was it writing your script?" Boll handled each query with verve and energy, leaping into amusing anecdotes and impassioned defenses of some of the choices he made in the film. Boll was steadfast and enthusiastic, somehow ignoring the fact that two-thirds of the audience noisily filed out of the theater as he spoke.

He earned a measure of my respect as an artist with a story about refusing to kowtow to studio insistence that he cut some of the more revolting parts out of his hyperviolent, iconoclastic movie. Boll said he was told chains such as AMC and Cinemark would refuse to show the movie unless the cuts were made. Boll said "show me a piece of paper that says they will play the movie if I make the cuts and I'll consider it." He reasoned that the big chains would probably spurn his film anyway, and there was no need to deviate from his vision, no matter how bizarre, in blind hope that the suits would find his stuff palatable.

The most interesting part of Boll's talk came when he turned his attention to other filmmakers, talking the sort of smack you'd never hear from any other established director weary of stepping on toes. Boll's takes on the film world:

"Steven Spielberg is a great director, but a lot of his movies are not really interesting."

-" 'Alexander' was s***."

-"James Cameron: I love 'Terminator 2,' but 'Titanic' is kind of meh. It won the Oscars and then one year later you're watching it on TV thinking 'how did this f****** movie make all this money? I couldn't stand it anymore."

It was hilariously surreal to see the man who made "Alone in the Dark" and two "Bloodrayne" films bashing such greats as Spielberg, Stone and Cameron. Then I paused to realize that someone with little filmmaking ability talking such trash is no more ludicrous than someone with no filmmaking ability – myself – criticizing movies.

So bravo, Uwe Boll. I don't like either of the two films of yours I've seen, which were so bad I can't bring myself to go back and watch your other work, but I like you as a person and public speaker, and respect your bat-crazy moxie. Other video game and movie fans cry out for you to end your career, but I for one want you to keep doing your thing.

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

that is a charismatic man, that Uwe Boll.
- Buster Keaton

SoNowThen

In terms of giving people the time of day, and being ACTUALLY friendly (which I'm to understand is a bit of a forgotten commodity for LA "industry" insiders), he is a solid guy.

Which struck me as strange.

However, one of my LA friends said that we'd all be surprised at how much some people who absolutely SUCK at making movies are the nicest, most helpful people, while those artists we admire are just insufferable dickheads.

Another chunk of my childhood naivette is forever desecrated.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

Quote from: SoNowThen on September 22, 2007, 02:03:48 AM
while those artists we admire are just insufferable dickheads.

haha, yes, of course, you know this from personal experience: http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=7013.0

hey, dude's still alive (cos he fucked so many beautiful women), have you learned any french since then? could help. start with this: "Je sais que vous ne parlez rien d'anglais, mais au cas où vous ne seriez pas de mauvaise humeur, j'aimerais parler de la signification du Week-end, et pourquoi vous êtes très overrated.  :waving:"

then after a long silence..

"le fond de l'air est douche".... he won't get it though.
under the paving stones.