Story of Delmer Darion in "Magnolia"

Started by kassius, January 05, 2004, 10:41:01 PM

kassius

I know it's fake.  My father used to tell me this story all the time when I was kid and I had thought it was true... and after watching "Magnolia" for the first time I was shocked to see PTA bring it up.  I did some research and found out it was all a joke.

Either that or research was done to put the tale to rest.  From what I understand the way those planes are designed, water which is sucked up, will pour out of tiny holes in the bottom of the plane, making it impossible for something as large as a human body to pass through.  Maybe the idea of the man getting sucked up was true? Maybe? Maybe it was all B/S?  

But does anybody know how the joke got started?  The movie cites "The Reno Gazette",  a real newspaper.  I did a search for "Delmer Darion" on the 'net and nothing came up but articles on the movie.

Was this an April Fool's joke?  I was just wondering the inside of the story.

That... what does everybody think of the fact that all of the stories told in the beginning of the movie are fake? Does it mean anything when the narrotor saids... "stange things happen all the time" when none of these things happened at all? Hmm. I ask because a friend of mine just watched the movie and was disapointed in the beginning. He told me that none of the stories were real and sort of takes away from the idea of convincing the viewer that stange things happen all the time.

I disagree.  I think it makes it point.

Just curious... I'm sure most PTA fans will agree that it's fine.

Sleuth

Doesn't matter, because frogs can fall from the sky.  Fact.  Also, I doubt he'd use their REAL names (Delmer Darion)
I like to hug dogs

kassius

Good point about the frogs.

As far as "Delmer Darion", your probably right.  It probably wasn't in the "Reno Gazette" either (assuming it was posted SOMEWHERE).

Quote from: SlorgDoesn't matter, because frogs can fall from the sky.  Fact.  Also, I doubt he'd use their REAL names (Delmer Darion)

Pubrick

whether they're fake or not is not the point. they are probable, and at the very least it is implying stranger things hav happened. which is all the prologue is trying to establish.
under the paving stones.

molly

I think in one episode of CSI the victim is a diver found on a tree after the forest fire. In the end they discover the body was just placed there to look like an accident, but i think they say that those things are possible(diver sucked in the air-tractor)

nix

PTA could have just as easily picked even stranger, real occurances.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

SoNowThen

Anyone not totally taken in by the brilliance of the opening of Magnolia is an enemy of cinema and shouldn't be allowed to watch movies.

:-D
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.