saving timeline

Started by zerocool41, November 29, 2003, 11:55:23 PM

zerocool41

I'm not sure if this has been addressed...but on adobe premiere, how can i make a backup of my work other than on my hard drive?  Can i save it to a cd-rw?  i'm like half way done editing and worrying what if my operating system crashed or something.  

Thanks
I'm going to lay down a monster hand here.

aclockworkjj

if you just save the premiere project file...on say a CD, when you put it in at a later date, it will search for the original clips.  if you lose the original clips, you are pretty much screwed, or will have to re-capture them.  but otherwise, it should reconize the embedded timecode on each clip.  

realize premiere isn't actually building a movie, in the timeline.  rather it's just simplying pulling bits and pieces from the clips stored on your hard drive and assembling them in a timeline (does that makes sense?).  depending on how organized you have things.  in the export timeline menu, you should be able to save out a text file with all the clips and files used in the project too....

Ghostboy

Generating an EDL is a good idea and then saving that to a disc is a good idea. However...

One problem is that miniDV (which I'm assuming you're using) doesn't run on actual SMPTE timecode. Even if you pre-black your tapes, it's not going to be pristine. So if you have an Edit Decision List that is timecode based, while you could ostensibly reassemble the movie using that and a hefty round of batch capturing, you probably would end up with something slightly different than your original cut.

The best solution is just to output your project back to tape, and do that every time you make a significant change/addition. Or you can buy an external hard drive and store all the files on there. That way if your computer's hard drive crashes, nothing gets hurt. Unless the external drive crashes, of course.

mutinyco

Just use an external hard drive. You should be using it regardless. I never save anything to my computer.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe