Lasse Hallström..

Started by NEON MERCURY, November 06, 2003, 12:56:06 PM

NEON MERCURY

..Do you think his good or is he really not good.....????

i .thought  he is good...
or is this a wasted thread....???

after watching grape again I forgot this is a good director at work..
and he is Swedish....also... 8)

i don't know how to put the "accent mark" over the "o" in his name....

godardian

I like Gilbert Grape, My Life as a Dog, and Once Around. Genuinely dislike Cider House Rules and Shipping News.

He's okay.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MrBurgerKing

I like Lasse Hallström (I admit, I'm only making this post because I've never made one that has an accent mark).

Chocolat, Grape, and Shipping News are good Hallström flicks I'd say. Shipping News was kind of ridiculous though, as if Burger King suddenly offered salad. I don't know about the Life as a Dog movie or Cider House Rules, are they worth watching?

Finn

I love his movies! I really liked "The Cider House Rules", "Chocolat" and particularly "The Shipping News".
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

MacGuffin

An Unfinished Life

Release Date: December 25th, 2004

Cast: Jennifer Lopez (Jean Gilkyson), Robert Redford, Morgan Freeman, Becca Gardner, Damian Lewis, Josh Lucas, Camryn Mannheim.

Director: Lasse Hallstrom (The Cider House Rules, Chocolat, My Life as a Dog, The Shipping News, What's Eating Gilbert Grape?)

Screenwriter: Mark Spragg (cowriter of Gross Anatomy) and Virginia Spragg (feature film debut)

Premise: An impoverished and abused mother, Jean Gilkyson (Lopez), finds that the only option left to her and her pre-teen daughter (Gardner) is to move in with her father-in-law (Redford) to live on his Wyoming ranch, even though they have been estranged for quite some time. (Lewis plays Lopez's abusive husband.)

On set photos here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ernie

Gilbert Grape is one of my favorites of all time...My Life as A Dog is cool too. I can't decide whether or not I should see any of his other stuff though, I don't know, I don't want his name to be tainted, The Shipping News looks really lame.

cine

If you read the Shipping News and enjoy it, you'll HATE the movie.

ono

I liked The Shipping News but never read the book.  The Cider House Rules, OTOH, was just no good.  I can't believe the film got so much praise, or that Michael Caine won the Oscar over Tom Cruise.

Alethia

shipping news is lame........chocolat is fucking great as is gilbert grape and ciderhouse rules...once around is okay, it is always (heh) nice to see dreyfuss and hunter together........havent seen his other ones

meatwad

I like Cider House Rules and Gilbert Brape the best. Chocolat i could not sit through. I may have to give it another try

MacGuffin

Lasse Hallstrom Helming Harry & Caresse
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Director Lasse Hallstrom (The Cider House Rules, The Shipping News) is in talks to direct the literary drama Harry & Caresse.

The Fine Line Features project is inspired by the true lives of Harry and Caresse Crosby, who influenced the Paris literary scene in the 1920s. The project follows the couple's relationship through drugs, sex and endless parties all in the name of creating art.

Hallstrom also helmed the upcoming Miramax drama An Unfinished Life, which stars Jennifer Lopez and Robert Redford and is slated for release next year.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Ledger in mood for 'Casanova'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Lasse Hallstrom has found his "Casanova." Heath Ledger has signed on to topline the helmer's Walt Disney Co. period tale, with shooting set to start in August in Venice, Italy.

The casting continues Ledger's busy work slate for 2004. Later this month, he's due to step in front of the cameras on "Lords of Dogtown" for Columbia Pictures and helmer Catherine Hardwicke. He'll then follow that up with a lead role opposite Jake Gyllenhaal as a pair of love-crossed cowboys in Ang Lee's "Brokeback Mountain" for Focus Features. He then segues to Hallstrom's "Casanova," a romantic comedy about the legendary Casanova and his pursuit of the one woman in Venice who doesn't fall prey to his charm.

The project will find him starring as the famous Lothario who is forced to learn the meaning of love after meeting a woman who is immune to his charms. Mark Gordon is producing along with Hallstrom's producing partner Leslie Holleran. Writers on the project have included Kimberly Simi and Michael Cristofer.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Hallstrom Has a DAUGHTER
The gestating Daughter of the Queen of Sheba has found a director in Lasse Hallstrom. Source: FilmStew.com

Director Lasse Hallstrom has just joined the family of the Daughter of the Queen of Sheba, housed at Paramount Pictures. The film has been in development since 1997, and at one point, Meryl Streep and Gwyneth Paltrow were attached to portray the mother and daughter.

The film, based on Jacki Lyden's bestselling memoir, is about her own childhood in a small Wisconsin town, and her mother's manic-depressive episodes. Karen Croner (One True Thing) wrote the script.

Store Front Pictures president Susan Cartsonis, Matt Williams and Leslie Holleran are producing. Hadeel Reda will be an executive producer.

Hallstrom currently has two films in the can, ready to be released. They are Disney's Casanova and Miramax's An Unfinished Life.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Finn

Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

MacGuffin

Hallstrom Directing A Christmas Carol
Source: Variety

Universal has hired Lasse Hallstrom to direct its adaptation of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, reports Variety. Leslie Holleran, Jon Berg, Todd Komarnicki and Karen Tenkhoff will produce.

The trade says the studio purchased a pitch from Komarnicki, who will write the script. The project will be a co-production between the LaHa and Guy Walks Into a Bar.

The story will be told through the eyes of a 40-year-old Scrooge.

For Berg and Komarnicki, "Carol" marks a return to a Christmas-themed project three years after Elf, their maiden producing effort at Guy Walks Into a Bar.

Skeleton FilmWorks