Is Francis Ford Coppola dead?

Started by Duck Sauce, February 06, 2003, 12:43:58 AM

ono

Was in the grocery store today, saw Coppola on the cover of October 2003's Cigar Aficionado.  There's an interview with him inside, though they're mostly asking him about The Godfather Trilogy, from what I read.  That is, from what I saw in my brief skim through it.  Still, thought some of you may be interested.

kotte

I just finished watching The Godfather series back-to-back.

I've always found the films good but this time...they are truly amazing.

This 'masterpiece' word is thrown left to right but these films are true works of genius.

This has been said more than once, I know, but I got this urge to write about it now when I'm done.

Pacinos performance when his daughter dies at the end. Fucking magic movie acting.

samuelclemens

i went on a spree with his films, i watched the godfather, and then the conversation, then apocalypse now and finally jack.... :shock:
Stupid babies need the most attention!

Sal

He came here to Denver a couple nights ago and he is most surely alive.  He gave a nice speech, screened an early film of his that was taken out of cinemas really quickly (and for good reason; it was all style and no substance), but being he was very self aware, it made for a nice night.  Also, he said he's begun writing again, and talked about always trying to reach a place that he has to struggle to get to, so whatever he's cooking, I think it'll be a delicious meal.

mutinyco

What early film? Sounds like it was One From the Heart. If so, it certainly wasn't early -- it was a decade after the Godfather.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Sal

Quote from: mutinycoWhat early film? Sounds like it was One From the Heart. If so, it certainly wasn't early -- it was a decade after the Godfather.

Yes, One From The Heart.  Early as in -- comparitively speaking.

mutinyco

Yeah, I suppose I consider anything post-Apocalypse Now late Coppola.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

mutinyco

Yes, everything after AN (except maybe Rumblefish) was jack!

-St. Joe

Alexandro

Yeah, I always hear this comments about filmmakers of the seventies losing it" like by their fourth film and the only one that seems true to me is the Coppola case...after Apocalypse he really kind of...you know...lost it...

Rumble Fish is great and I think Dracula was really cool too, but the rest, even if it's not crap, it's not on the Coppola level I would like to see...

I'm specially shocked when I see something like Cotton Club which is incredibly bad, or that episode from New York Stories...

However, Jack wasn't that bad, considering...and The Rainmaker was at least nice entertainment...

SoNowThen

I always considered Jack and Rainmaker to be his biggest falls from grace. And this is coming from a guy who liked Godfather 3.

Fuck I hope his next one is good...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Alexandro

I don't count Godfather 3 as a post Apocalypse film...it's a different thing for me...I always think of the three Godfather films as a unit or something, I don't know...

Godfather 3 is his best film in the last 23 years...

modage

Quote from: AlexandroGodfather 3 is his best film in the last 23 years...
my vote is for dracula.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Am I the only person who thinks "Tucker" is on the same level as his "Early Coppola" films? Maybe I'm the only one who has seen it.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alexandro

Dracula is next to The Godfather 3...

Someone told me about Coppola actually talking about AIDS in Dracula, which is interesting but I haven0t seen it since so I don't know...

Tucker is good, but not on that level...