Is Francis Ford Coppola dead?

Started by Duck Sauce, February 06, 2003, 12:43:58 AM

MacGuffin

Coppola Looks to Brazil for Inspiration

Curitiba, Brazil (EFE) – Francis Ford Coppola traveled to the South of Brazil to find inspiration to finish the script for 'Megalopolis' a film he has been developing for the better part of a decade. The award winning director of 'The Godfather' has been in the city of Curitiba for about a week with producer Dean Tavoularis, who will co-executive produce the project.

According to El Mundo Coppola himself described the film as a "futuristic epic, passionate and humane, set in New York, a city which will not be left under rocks at the end of time." Coppola has avoided the press while in Curitiba but did manage to surprise a group of film students at a local university by attending a weekend film conference. The local news paper Gazeta do Povo reported that in the conference Coppola talked about his past projects and explained that his next project will not be made "make money" but to satisfy the four fundamental concerns of any artist, "create, learn, perfect and celebrate." 'Megalopolis' will mark Coppola's first film as a director in six years. He directed the 'Rainmaker' in 1997.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mutinyco

Yeah, he's traveling to about half a dozen cities wordwide to study urban planning. There was an article last week, but I can't find it. By the way, Ron Fricke, who shot Baraka, has been mentioned as the DP.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

cine

Quote from: mutinycoRon Fricke, who shot Baraka, has been mentioned as the DP.

Beauuuutiful! :-D

kotte

Quote from: MacGuffinCast Notes: (7/18/01) Among the stars reportedly reading for roles are Nicolas Cage, Russell Crowe, Robert De Niro, Paul Newman, Parker Posey, and Kevin Spacey.

How great do you have to be to get THOSE guys to READ for you???

freakerdude

Quote from: kotte
Quote from: MacGuffinHow great do you have to be to get THOSE guys to READ for you???

I heard Gary Coleman is gettting the lead......
MC Pee Pants

Ernie

Quote from: mutinycoRon Fricke, who shot Baraka, has been mentioned as the DP.

Wow, cool...can't wait to see Baraka.

QuoteNicolas Cage

Great.

QuoteRussell Crowe

Bad.

QuoteRobert De Niro

Great.

QuotePaul Newman

Great.

QuoteParker Posey

Great.

QuoteKevin Spacey

OK.

Pedro

Quote from: ebeaman

QuoteRussell Crowe

Bad.

QuoteKevin Spacey

OK.

Now, I'm not too fond of Russell Crowe, but I can defenitely appreciate him as an actor...have you seen the insider? or LA confidential?  He gives two great performances there and something tells me we've had this argument before.

Kevin Spacey deserves a lot more than OK.

Ghostboy

Copied from a Toronto FF report at AICN:

"Speaking of Coppola, I chatted with George Hickenlooper, the director of Mayor of the Sunset Strip and co-director of Hearts of Darkness (the brilliant Apocalypse Now doc), at the Sunset Strip after-party. About a month ago he was talking with Francis about a DVD release of Hearts of Darkness -- the sticking point is the infamous Martin Sheen heart attack scene. Coppola wants a bit of narration added to the beginning of the sequence to further clarify exactly what he means when he goes on his "Martin Sheen isn't dead until I say he's dead!" rant.  

Now, it's not my place to tell Francis Ford Coppola what he should do, but I think it's an unnecessary and somewhat futile step. The film, as is, gives plenty of context for the rant -- Coppola is clearly pissed at his staff for going behind his back and telling the studio about Sheen's condition before Coppola had figured out how he was going to handle the situation, not railing against God and trying to shout back the specter of Death or something. And further narration won't dispel the urban legend that's grown up around that interpretation, just as Sting telling people 10 years later that he was pulling Bob Geldof's leg with that tantric nonsense is going to change the way the general public sees him. That moment has become part of the mythology of Francis Ford Coppola, for better or worse, and delaying the release of Hearts of Darkness won't rewrite it. "

That movie NEEDS to come out on DVD. With or without the lame new narration.

cine

Apocalypse Now should've had a commentary track.  :(

mutinyco

It should also have been shown in the correct aspect ratio of 2.35:1 and not 1.85:1! How stupid was it to see Redux on the big screen in it's original aspect ratio, then have it cropped a few months later on DVD? Coppola seems to do that with all of his widescreen videos. Did it for Tucker too.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

MacGuffin

Once again taking the independent route, Francis Ford Coppola and American Zoetrope have today announced an exclusive distribution deal with Fantoma Films.

First up from the legendary American auteur is is landmark 1982 cult favorite One From the Heart, which will get the two-disc deluxe treatment on January 27th. While not a box office hit, it is a notable piece of Hollywood history - Coppola was one of first directors to make extensive use of computer technology to help realize the intricate visuals, and the film has amassed a dedicated cult following.

Newly remastered in anamorphic widescreen, extras are set to include an audio commentary by Coppola, the featurettes "The Dream Studio" (30 minutes) and "Tom Waits and the Music of One From the Heart" (12 minutes), unreleased demo recordings and alternate music takes, deleted and alternate scenes, rehearsal footage, storyboards, still galleries and additional footage. Retail is $29.95.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Quote from: mutinycoIt should also have been shown in the correct aspect ratio of 2.35:1 and not 1.85:1! How stupid was it to see Redux on the big screen in it's original aspect ratio, then have it cropped a few months later on DVD? Coppola seems to do that with all of his widescreen videos. Did it for Tucker too.

Vittorio Storaro, the TP of AN and Tucker, is a propnent of the 2:1 Univisium format, which is fine, but did he have to advocate cropping a film shot at 2.35:1 down to around 1.90:1?  AN at 2.20:1 might be okay, since 70mm prints were made, but I somehow doubt it was framed for 2:1.

mutinyco

The problem isn't even that they were cropped, per se -- but they were originally shot in scope. And scope has a round image. So when it's cropped it looks distorted.

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

Quote from: mutinycoIt should also have been shown in the correct aspect ratio of 2.35:1 and not 1.85:1! How stupid was it to see Redux on the big screen in it's original aspect ratio, then have it cropped a few months later on DVD? Coppola seems to do that with all of his widescreen videos. Did it for Tucker too.

Why would he do that? Fuck, I didn't notice, but now I'm glad I at least caught this in the theatre...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mutinyco

He does it so you can ask why he does it.

-St. Joe