Is Francis Ford Coppola dead?

Started by Duck Sauce, February 06, 2003, 12:43:58 AM

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetif one of you thinks that he did make a great movie after Apocalypse Now, then it would mean you disagree with me so save your typing hands to not say just that and jack off or something instead.

With the invention of the internet, I've learned to do both at the same time. So I will practice that skill to state that I disagree with you.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Derek

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

budgie

Quote from: DerekDracula was good.

:yabbse-thumbup:

Quote from: budgie's pleasureDisagreeing with GT and sucking up to Guffy while he jerks off

:yabbse-thumbup:

MacGuffin

The Godfather, Part IV: Andy Garcia talked with The Calgary Sun about a possibile fourth 'Godfather' flick which he wanted to do but Paramount declined the offer - "The irony and fascination for me is that with all the movies Paramount takes risks on each year they have this franchise people are desperate to see and they won't green-light it". Has he heard anything from Coppola about it? "There was a moment where Francis did want to have Mario [Puzo] write a script. I knew that Francis had this story that him and Mario had worked out, to do a parallel story of a piece of the book that has never been told, which is the [19]30s. In the 30s, Sonny Corleone, who was always Mario's favorite character, would basically be Leo [DiCaprio] in his 20s, or you know, Leo could play him. And, then he would do a parallel story of my character [Sonny Corleone's son] in the future, you know, running amok...Anyway it accelerated, and all of the sudden it was like, this would be a very interesting movie. Because, Robert DeNiro could play the Godfather, and Leo DiCaprio could play Sonny, and you could get a couple of younger people to play Michael and Fredo and Tom. So on one side of the movie, you would have the demographic that you would be looking for, you know the young kids, and then on the other side...you can actually bring Al [Pacino] back, because he died a very old guy. But Mario [Puzo] passed away...after that, I have never really heard anything more about it. I have asked Francis about it, and his attitude is, "Yeah, I can do it," but you know, they have to hire me, I can't hire them".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Duck Sauce

I dont want a Godfather 4 for obvious reasons, but if they had to do another one why not do one about another family?

Grand Epic

Coppola's idea is very ambitious (obviously) and sounds like it could either be really boring or really interesting. Let's hope it's the latter.

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: Pawbloe
Quote from: Pi don't know how exciting that is to u, but i think it's a great idea..  it has to be hardcore tho. none of this gangs of new york love story bullshit. i wouldn't mind if it's 99% political with a nipple now and then.

You say that... Now think about Coppola's "Tucker."  The plots aren't too different.

Shit, I didn't know he made Tucker.  That's a great film.  I'll have to rent it again.

This Megalopolis sounds really fucking cool.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

mutinyco

He's been talking about Megalopolis for a long time. So, I've been waiting a long time. I read an interview with him a while back where he said that Megalopolis was written like The Conversation, but on a scale to equal Apocalypse Now -- and that it was as strange as the latter. He also mentioned Fellini's La Dolce Vita as an unimpeachable masterpiece and that Megalopolis was his attempt to do something on that scale. He wants it to be a film that works intimately and also as a great social epic.

Thematically, it sounds like pure Coppola: the lone visionary up against a mass force of conservativism. That's what all his best work was about. If he pulls it off, if he makes the masterpiece that he's been talking about for years, I will have no problem declaring him the greatest living filmmaker. As far as I'm concerned, his '70s output was so astonishing that he could've directed Police Academy sequels for the last 20 years and still be better than 99% of other directors.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

jokerspath

Quote from: mutinycoAs far as I'm concerned, his '70s output was so astonishing that he could've directed Police Academy sequels for the last 20 years and still be better than 99% of other directors.

This is a terrific fucking quote...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

chainsmoking insomniac

Incidentally, has anyone seen He's a Big Boy Now?  This is one of Coppola's earlier films, and I just watched it this afternoon.  I thought it was hilarious.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

lamas

Well I just finished watching Coppola's segment from New York Stories and thought it was absolute shit.  How does one guy make some of the greatest movies ever and so much crap?  I don't want another Godfather movie but that storyline with those proposed actors sounds pretty good...

Ravi

FFC recently has presented a Thai film called "The Legend of Suriyothai."  It is the most expensive film from Thailand and the highest grossing film over there.  The sets and costumes are elaborate and the battle scenes are impressive.

mutinyco

Rumble Fish was pretty hot. Pretty out there. But generally, Apocalypse was his last great film.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

The Silver Bullet

QuoteFilm director Francis Ford Coppola is hunting for the perfect city as he seeks inspiration for his first film in six years.

The director of The Godfather trilogy has spent a week in Curitiba, a sleepy city of 1.6 million in southern Brazil, known for its clean streets and efficient public transportation.

"I want to create a mixture of the Roman epics of [director] Cecil B DeMille with a modern New York," Coppola said in an interview with Reuters.

The new movie, to be called Megalopolis, has been in the works for four years and could take Coppola to three continents before he settles down to film in New York City.

Coppola said he wrote the original script with actor Russell Crowe in mind for the lead role as the visionary architect that sets out to design a utopian city.

"But that was before he became so famous," Coppola said.

"I don't think it would be viable anymore," Coppola said of Crowe.

Asked to describe the perfect city, Coppola said it would be one without advertising and billboards at every turn.

Since the release of his last film in 1997, Coppola has spent most of his time tending to his Napa Valley vineyards and his restaurant businesses, a task he says is often more rewarding than filmmaking.

source: ABC News Online
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

cine

Quote from: The Silver Bullet
QuoteSince the release of his last film in 1997, Coppola has spent most of his time tending to his Napa Valley vineyards and his restaurant businesses, a task he says is often more rewarding than filmmaking.

Not surprising coming from him. If my second last film was "Jack," I'd say the same thing.