Lost Highway

Started by ono, July 23, 2003, 08:48:09 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: FernandoBut that version still is in fullscreen, isn't?

I've seen it and it says it's Pan and Scan, unless there's another version I'm not aware of.
nah check it out: http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/3167 and they post international, so the foreign ppl got no excuse.

also check the link mogwai posted.

it's cheaper at JB Hi-Fi.
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

Pubrick

play it on ur computer.

get a multi-region player.

join the new millennium.

PAL is higher quality anyway.
under the paving stones.

mogwai

Quote from: PubrickPAL is higher quality anyway.
in what way? sharpness is not one of the things pal has if you compare it with ntsc. i prefer region 1's in front 2's.

Pubrick

Quote from: mogwai
in what way? sharpness is not one of the things pal has if you compare it with ntsc. i prefer region 1's in front 2's.

well i'm talking about r4, not that it matters.

but to answer ur question: in basically every possible way, read http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/PALvsNTSC/PALvsNTSC.asp

basically this is a good version cos it's 16x9 enhanced. and since there is no better version of the movie, there is no choice.
under the paving stones.

Two Lane Blacktop

Quote from: mogwai

PAL has a higher number of scan lines than NTSC...  I forget the numbers, but you can Google it if you like.

Of course, if you watch a PAL DVD in the US, on your NTSC TV set, the multi-region DVD player is going to convert the signal into the smaller, NTSC number of scan lines, so the quality will be the same as what we're always used to.   People will tell you they think the picture looks better, but it's psychological...  if you're watching it on an NTSC set, you're seeing a regular NTSC regardless of the disc format.  Mogwai, if you see a difference in region 1 and 2 DVDs on your setup, it may be the way your player compresses those extra lines that's causing a little phase or blurriness or something.  I've never seen a PAL-to-NTSC transition look bad, though.

BTW, JB and others, I have a cheap little Apex DVD player (the 1500 model) that's like $65 at Wal-Mart or online, and you can get a patch off the internet (or from me if you want) that makes it region-free.  It plays both PAL and NTSC.  It's great...  I have a nicer Toshiba that I keep hooked up most of the time, but when I want to watch one of my Region 2 or 4 DVDs, or something that's in PAL, I hook up the Apex and away we go.  

2LB
Body by Guinness

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Pubrickplay it on ur computer.
Macs only let you change the PAL/NSTC setting a few times, and I've already done it twice to watch Idioterne.

Quote from: Two Lane BlacktopBTW, JB and others, I have a cheap little Apex DVD player (the 1500 model) that's like $65 at Wal-Mart or online, and you can get a patch off the internet (or from me if you want) that makes it region-free.  It plays both PAL and NTSC.  It's great...  I have a nicer Toshiba that I keep hooked up most of the time, but when I want to watch one of my Region 2 or 4 DVDs, or so
Mmmm...  :yabbse-thumbup:

Weak2ndAct

I get people, and then I don't get them.

Tonight at work (video store), I had 5 people call or come in asking for copies of 'Lost Highway,' and it's all too blantantly obvious that they're asking for it b/c of the fact that the Robert Blake verdict came down today.  

Will these legal shenanigans result in a R1 dvd?  Let's see if it gets exploited.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: Weak2ndAct
Will these legal shenanigans result in a R1 dvd?  Let's see if it gets exploited.
I'm crossing MY fingers to hope it will happen.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: SiliasRuby
As much as I hate to admit it... ditto.

Two Lane Blacktop

Body by Guinness

No Hay Banda

Quote from: SiliasRuby
Same with me. I've been wishing and hoping for a Lost Highway DVD for years. I picked it up on VHS a while back, and it was quite honestly one of the worst quality transfers I'd ever seen, if not THE. I can't really say I was expecting much from a pan and scanned VHS though.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Two Lane BlacktopThis seems as good a place as any to link this:

The Blake verdict, with his reaction and the opinions of some of the jurors
I saw the video of Blake's reaction, and it almost made my cry. He looked totally sincere and grateful. Remember O.J. Simipson's acquittal reaction? He looked like he just won a football game.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
I saw the video of Blake's reaction, and it almost made my cry. He looked totally sincere and grateful. Remember O.J. Simipson's acquittal reaction? He looked like he just won a football game.
I saw it live and you're right he was sincere. I found the expression, whether it was genuine or not, to be slightly haunting.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

From Dugpa.com:

Actor Robert Blake Found Not Guilty = Good News for Lost Highway DVD

Yesterday, actor Robert Blake was found not guilty of the murder of Bonny Lee Bakley. Rumor in Hollywood was that Universal was holding back the Lost Highway DVD release until the murder trial blew over fearing bad press for releasing a gilm which depicts Blake in a unsavory role. My guess is that we will see the release this year right around the time of the Dune DVD, which will likely appear Q4 of this year.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks