Terry Gilliam - Lost In La Mancha

Started by MacGuffin, January 22, 2003, 05:10:52 PM

meatball

Stefen

Gilliam is one of those filmmakers who is always on point. He never fails, even his shit is good. It's very sad that a filmmaker has good as Gilliam doesn't get to do what he wants to do very often. He should get a free pass for anything he pleases. His movies rarely make money so that probably has alot to do with it. he gives great interviews also. I think my fave of his is brazil cause its just so fucking fantastic, fear and loathing is great too, but it feels so over the place which I think gives it it's charm. 12 monkeys is probably one of my least favorite Gilliam flicks but its still better than 90% of movies. The fisher king is terribly underrated. I cant wait to see grimm but I wish he would have been able to do good omens instead :o(
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Terry Gilliam Next Helming Tideland
Source: Variety

Terry Gilliam will next direct Tideland, which starts shooting September 7 in Saskatchewan, Canada, once the director has finished his current film, The Brothers Grimm.

Variety says the film, written by Gilliam and Tony Grisoni, is adapted from Mitch Cullin's novel about a girl in rural Texas who escapes from the grim reality of her life into a world of fantasy.

She is accompanied on her adventures of the imagination by four disembodied dolls' heads, which will be voiced by well-known actors.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Super.

I'm set to leave the Prairies at the end of June, Terry Gilliam comes 2 months later.

Dammit...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Just Withnail

Shit, that sounds like something Miyazaki would conjure up. It looks great, perfect for Gilliam.

El Duderino

yeah, i look forward to this...aswell as the brothers grimm
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I just saw Fisher King and it was waaay more than I expected.  I thought it was goign to be simple, but realized that if it was Gilliam film, it had to be the exact opposite.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

ElPandaRoyal

You should know, while going into a Gilliam film, that nothing is ever simple. He's visually one of the most powerful directors I can think of.
Si

MacGuffin

Tilly immersed in 'Tideland'

NEW YORK -- Jennifer Tilly and 9-year-old newcomer Jodelle Ferland and have inked to star in Terry Gilliam's upcoming feature "Tideland," which goes before cameras this month. Janet McTeer and Brendan Fletcher also have joined the cast of the film, based on Mitch Cullin's Southern gothic novel. Adapted for the big screen by Tony Grisoni ("Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"), "Tideland" follows the story of a young girl who creates an extraordinary, suspenseful and surreal fantasy world to escape the pain of her father's death.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Bridges back with Gilliam on 'Tideland'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

NEW YORK -- Actor Jeff Bridges is coming aboard Terry Gilliam's next feature, "Tideland," sources said, a move that reunites the actor and director who last teamed in 1991 for the Oscar-winning feature "The Fisher King."

Bridges joins a cast that already includes 9-year-old newcomer Jodelle Ferland, Jennifer Tilly, Janet McTeer and Brendan Fletcher.

Based on Mitch Cullin's Southern gothic novel -- and adapted for the big screen by Tony Grisoni ("Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas") -- "Tideland" follows the story of a girl who creates a surreal fantasy world to escape the pain of her father's death.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pwaybloe

Probably eating breakfast right now.  Or morning sex.  

Man, morning sex is great.

Pubrick

Quote from: PwaybloeProbably eating breakfast right now.  Or morning sex.
except it wouldn't turn out like he expected.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Gilliam Returning to La Mancha
Grimm helmer to resurrect Don Quixote.

Terry Gilliam has a history of making unusual films – the films he wants to make. The Monty Python member has directed such titles as Brazil, Time Bandits, 12 Monkeys, and Brothers Grimm, the last of which is just nearing release now.

In the late Nineties, Gilliam was busy on another pet project of his, a new take on Miguel de Cervantes' Don Quixote legend called The Man Who Killed Don Quixote. The story was to be another time-travel adventure; it involved a modern-day advertising executive who ends up in 17th century Spain with Quixote himself – a crazy old Spaniard who pretends he's a knight and travels around the country righting wrongs.

Gilliam spent several years pursuing funding for his Don Quixote film; and finally, in 2002, he began shooting it in Spain with Johnny Depp and Frenchman Jean Rochefort. Unfortunately, Rochefort was injured about a week into filming, and other problems made much of Gilliam's footage unusable. The film was finally shelved in mid-production.

Gilliam didn't give up, however. He insisted he would have another go at it eventually. "I am going to make this damn film, but maybe down the line," he told The Observer. "I can't even look at it right now. I can't even think about it. I mean, I'm supposed to be shooting right now, out there surrounded by creative people, thinking up new ideas, in my element. Instead, I'm sitting at home on the computer again. It's not the same thing at all!"

The time for returning to The Man Who Killed Don Quixote might be now. In a new interview with Sci Fi Wire, Gilliam says he's returning to the project once some legal hassles – probably involving the film's insurers, who now own the script – are dealt with.

"It'll be the next one I do," Gilliam said. "I really do want to do it. The script is too good. What we did, again, it's like The Brothers Grimm. We're not doing Don Quixote. It's The Man Who Killed Don Quixote. So we take the bits I want out of Cervantes' work, rather than be caught in [the] terrible situation of doing something that exists. And so with Cervantes, we wrote something that incorporates Quixote into a story we're telling. And so I can write in a sense what I think Cervantes might have written if he was alive now, without the worry of whether he would or wouldn't. So trying to stay true to the heart of the piece without having to be pedantic about it."

Gilliam added that a new actor for Quixote would have to be found. He didn't mention any other casting hurdles; it would be terrific if Johnny Depp was still available to take part in it.

Skeleton FilmWorks

72teeth

Spoiler:Gilliam will be struck by lightning
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: 72teethSpoiler:Gilliam will be struck by lightning

Gilliam will die on his way to the airport to head to Spain.  He will be in a 2-car collision with Robert Altman's car, Altman being one day from locking the print on Prarie Home Companion.  PTA and Johnny Depp will survive but never work again.