ROMAN POLANSKI

Started by modage, June 26, 2003, 01:44:22 AM

modage

:shock: wow, now i feel bad. i wasnt aware of any of that raping stuff.  if i'd have known he was having such a rough time, i would've stopped watching his movies and just started sending envelopes of cash to

ROMAN POLANSKI RAPE FUND
keep on rapin!

who are we, US Weekly?  are we here to talk about movies or are we here to dish about Ashton and Demi?  (although from what I hear they are hot and heavy these days!)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

Haha, this thread is so fucked up
I like to hug dogs

ono

Rapist or not, I find Chinatown to be (though I hate to use this word) overrated.  And the rest of his work, though I haven't seen it yet, appears to be rather slight.  I will of course reserve my judgment for when I can see some more of it, but his films seem to be just a drop in the bucket compared to others.

modage

saying things are overrated is overhyped.  did you like the movie or didnt you?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

My saying it's overrated is not overhyped.  It's a matter of fact of my opinion on the film.  So many critics say it's one of the best ever, but I say it's not.  Hence, "overrated" by others.

Me, I didn't necessarily dislike it, but I didn't like it too much either.  I'd give it 6/10 (**½/****) if you're looking for some sort of rating.  The ending was a disjointed downer, and there were too few memorable scenes to make it mesh.  The fish plate, and Jack's character's nose getting cut were the only two things really of note there.

SoNowThen

Well, you're entitled to your own opinion....

but the ending to me was perfection. It made the movie.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ono

Too many endings often do make or break a movie, which is a shame, but also important to understand.  Perhaps the fact that I watched it on a cruddy, aging VHS didn't help matters, but it really marred a lot of the third act.  It was on two VHSes, too, so that didn't help much, either.  The ending just seemed rather foolish to me, nonsensical, disorganized, and gloomy for the sake of gloom.  *shrug*

cowboykurtis

another great film from earlier in polanski's career is KNIFE IN THE WATER. small character study/chamber drama --prettty much 3 characters on a boat -- great film -- i dont think it's on dvd... ive been waiting for eyars for the tenant -- i think it has arrived, i need to go pick it up.
...your excuses are your own...

Pedro

For anyone interested in what Polanski's scandal involved see.
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/polanskicover1.html
Regardless of everything there...I think Polanski is an amazing filmmaker and I really want and need to see more of his movies.

modage

i know its terrible, but was i the only one who laughed when i got to the
before he "put his penis in my butt." part?  :lol:  :shock: ohmigod.

Sleuth

Oh no,  modernage, he got you too?
I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

Roman Polanski & Ronald Harwood Making Oliver Twist
Source: Variety

Roman Polanski and screenwriter Ronald Harwood, who won Oscars this year for The Pianist, have reteamed for a feature adaptation of Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist. It will be Polanski's next film which he plans to shoot in Europe next summer, using a British cast.

Polanski said it would be a challenge to condense Dickens' 456-page book into a two-hour film, but he was inspired to make the film by his own children, now 10 and 5 years old.

Also joining Polanski on Oliver Twist are "Pianist" producers Alain Sarde and Robert Benmussa. Working with the filmmaker's reps at ICM, they plan to finance the new film much as they did "Pianist," seeking a domestic distributor only after the film is completed.

Charles Dickens' story is that of an orphan who runs away from a workhouse and meets a pickpocket on the London streets. He joins a household of young boys who are trained to steal for their master.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

tonite i watched The Fearless Vampire Killers, which was funny but 15 minutes too long.  (leonard maltin gave it 3 1/2 stars and called it "near-brilliant".  weird i've never heard anyone talk about it ever).  and also Repulsion, which was bizarre, but i didnt think it was very scary.  she was a pretty freaked out chick though.

samuelclemens

does anyone know if 'repulsion' is coming out on dvd anytime soon?  i'd love to see that...
Stupid babies need the most attention!

MacGuffin

Roman Polanski's Oliver Twist Starting on June 21
Source: Variety

Oliver Twist, Roman Polanski's take on Charles Dickens' classic tale and the helmer's followup to his Oscar-winning The Pianist, will begin shooting June 21 in Prague.

Producers Alain Sarde and Robert Benmussa have lined up many of the "Pianist" team, including Polish-based production designer Allan Starski. Starski is beginning pre-production in Poland before preparing in Prague in late February. The film, about young pickpockets in 19th-century London, is scheduled for a 15- to 20-week shoot and a Thanksgiving 2005 release.

"It's a huge project," Benmussa told Variety, "It's a two-year job. After the heavy emotional and personal story of 'The Pianist,' Polanski wanted to make a family film. We spent a year reading scripts and searching for the right story. Then we discovered the last film of 'Oliver Twist' was made by David Lean in 1948. There was a musical in 1968, but Lean's was the last straight version."

Budgeted at about $60 million, the film will take over most of Barrandov Studios, shooting on soundstages and the large backlot. Although writer Ronald Harwood is expected to deliver the finished product in March, casting has already begun, focusing first on children. The cast should be completely British.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks