Gus Van Sant

Started by pilgrim, June 22, 2003, 09:33:52 PM

jenkins

oh i remembered my last thing in terms of now

there are 2 movies i've seen this year

1 Black Panther
2 Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far On Foot. i saw it in some screening room on Wilshire. it was weird, four of us were in this small theater with leather seats, i was with one person, Mark Olsen was another person, the fourth person i didn't know. so that was a special unusual circumstance and still i thought the movie was just okay. it's what they say: an AA meeting as a movie. the theme of perseverance through life obstacles is important, and i personally adored its appreciation for dark humor, but the movie felt flat and only later did i remember that Van Sant often goes flat, i forgot to mention Phoenix is at peak sure, Jonah Hill is solid sure, the movie disappointed me but also i'm being hard on it.

wilder

'Feud': Naomi Watts To Star In 'Capote's Women' Season 2 Of FX Series Written By Jon Robin Baitz & Directed By Gus Van Sant
Deadline

Ryan Murphy and Plan B have set a second installment of their FX anthology series Feud. Titled Capote's Women, the project will star two-time Oscar nominee Naomi Watts as Babe Paley who ruled the glamorous world of New York society in the 1960s and 70s. Two-time Oscar nominee Gus Van Sant is set to direct all eight episodes, with Tony and Pulitzer-nominated Jon Robin Baitz, who put together the high-profile package, writing all episodes and serving as showrunner.

An adaptation of Laurence Leamer's bestselling book "Capote's Women: A True Story of Love, Betrayal, and a Swan Song for an Era," the miniseries is set in the 1970s, and ends with Truman Capote's death in 1984. It chronicles the tale of the famous wunderkind author as he stabs several of his female friends — whom he called his "swans" — in the back by publishing a roman à clef short story called "La Côte Basque 1965" in Esquire in 1975. The piece was intended to be a chapter in Capote's infamous unfinished novel "Answered Prayers," his followup to the blockbuster "In Cold Blood."

Following the enormous success of "In Cold Blood," Capote was the toast of New York high society who counted the city's most beautiful, stylish, and wealthy women as close friends, his swans. The list of top socialites in his inner circle included Babe Paley, wife of CBS head Bill Paley, who will be played by Watts in Feud: Capote's Women; Slim Keith; Pamela Churchill Harriman, ex-wife of Winston's son and future wife of Slim's husband; Lee Radziwill, sister of Jackie Kennedy; Gloria Guinness and C.Z. Guest.

La Côte Basque's characters were thinly disguised versions of Capote's  female confidants and exposed their shocking secrets and scandals, from adultery to murder. Its publication destroyed Capote's friendships, with all of his swans cutting him off, as well as his reputation and his social standing.