Project Greenlight

Started by MacGuffin, June 21, 2003, 09:22:56 AM

mindfuck

Quote from: ewardi still think the film looks good tho, judging from the trailer

Saved by Shia no doubt.

Xixax

Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

MacGuffin

Miramax, LivePlanet & Bravo Give the Greenlight
Source: Miramax

Miramax Television has joined forces with Bravo for a new season of Project Greenlight, the Emmy nominated filmmaking contest, feature film and warts-and-all behind-the-scenes filmmaking documentary TV series that chronicles the challenges of first-time-writers and directors given the opportunity of a lifetime. For the show's third season, partners LivePlanet and Miramax are hopeful they will be able to create a series and a film that will revolve around a genre script such as horror or thriller (The past two season's films were based on coming of age stories). The agreement with Bravo, which calls for nine, one-hour episodes to air on the network, was announced today by Miramax Co-Chairman Harvey Weinstein and Bravo President Jeff Gaspin.

"'Project Greenlight' has tapped into this country's appetite for wanting to know how a film gets made, with all of the ups and downs that are a regular part of the process and thus we want to continue to bring this compelling series to audiences," said Harvey Weinstein. "Once it was decided to move the show to a network with a broader household reach, Bravo became a clear choice. We are proud to add 'Greenlight' to our wide ranging relationship with Bravo as we have seen what they have done to create a groundswell for some of their other series and we are confident they will be able to help us create similar interest in this series as well. The potential of a horror or thriller film is a great way to infuse a new angle into the show, just as we did last year by separating the screenwriter from the directors."

"We're thrilled to be partnered with Miramax and producers Ben Affleck, Matt Damon and Chris Moore on the next installment of 'Project Greenlight,'" said Gaspin. "We have long admired Miramax's contribution to film and television, and this show represents our companies desire to offer viewers risk-taking and exciting programming. This glimpse into the creative process of filmmaking is a perfect fit for our brand and we're thrilled with the prospect of providing 'Project Greenlight' the kind of elevated platform it deserves on Bravo, as well as adding a new twist by focusing on a genre film."

Project Greenlight contest rules and dates will be announced shortly. Plans call for the contest winners to be selected by mid 2004 and the film is anticipated to begin production in late summer/early fall of the same year. The series is slated to begin airing on Bravo in early 2005. For more information interested contestants can log on to ProjectGreenlight.com or BravoTV.com.

Last season's Project Greenlight confirmed the public's appetite to be behind the scenes on a film production by demonstrating an increase in its viewing audience by twenty percent from the show's initial season in 2002. Additionally, the series' producers have been recognized by the Producers Guild of America as nominees for the organization's 2004 Producer of the Year Award in the category of best Reality, Game and Information series.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Miramax Home Entertainment has details for Project Greenlight 2 which contains thirteen episodes of the show. This 2003 documentary looks at the making of a feature film, and the difficulties involved. Featuring Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, the two-disc set will be available to own from the 13th July this year, and should set you back around $39.99. No further details on the set at the moment, although the packaging does boast 'hours of extra material plus footage not aired on HBO'.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Project Greenlight Teaming Up with Wes Craven
Source: USA Today, Los Angeles Daily News  Thursday, July 15, 2004

USA Today reports that Ben Affleck and Matt Damon's Project Greenlight are teaming up with Scream director Wes Craven to produce their first horror film.

On Tuesday, the two announced the latest Project Greenlight winner. Written by first-timers Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan, Feast takes place in a remote bar ravaged by cannibalistic creatures. Newcomer John Gulager will direct.

Feast, as was the previous two Project Greenlight movies, will be filmed during production as a making-of, behind-the-scenes reality series that will air on Bravo, which picked up the series after it was dropped by HBO. The completed film is expected to reach theaters next year.

Ben Affleck also said at the event that Paramount and Tom Clancy are currently deciding whether the next Jack Ryan movie will be Red Rabbit or The Teeth of the Tiger. "When they settle that, then we'll figure it out. Under the right circumstances, I'd be into it."

Also, the Los Angeles Daily News caught up with The Village star Judy Greer who talked a bit more about Wes Craven's trouble-plagued Cursed.

"I just did four hours of ADR (automatic dialogue replacement), and it's just about done. They're hoping to have it out by Halloween," says Greer, who has a lead role in the film starring Christina Ricci, Shannon Elizabeth and Scott Foley.

Cursed was reportedly completely reshot with additional new actors after Craven became unhappy with initial footage of the werewolf film. Greer says, "We have enough for three or four movies now."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Project Greenlight 3 on Bravo Starts March 15th!

We are proud to announce that the Project Greenlight TV series will be airing on Bravo this season. The show will begin airing on March 15, 2005 at 9:00 pm.

Much like the second contest, PGL 3 sought both a screenwriter and a director through two concurrent contests.

The writers submitted a feature length screenplay online. The screenplay contestants were narrowed to a Top 1000 based on the results of an online peer review round. The scripts were then read offline by third-party reviewers hired by Project Greenlight and narrowed to a Top 100. The Top 100 were read and rated by the Review Panel which included Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Chris Moore and Wes Craven. The Top 5 were then named, given extensive script notes from the Panel and asked to revise their screenplays based on these notes. The scripts were re-read by the panel members and the Top 3 Finalists were named and flown to out to Hollywood for two days of meetings with the Director Finalists and the Review Panel.

The directors were asked to send in a three-minute scene of their choosing. The scenes were reviewed by third-party viewers hired by Project Greenlight. The Top 250 were named and asked to submit a 3 minute bio video. The field was then narrowed to the Top 50 directors and their scene submissions and bio videos were reviewed by the Review Panel. At this point we were down to the The Top 10 Directors. Each Top 10 Director was given an identical scene assignment which challenged the contestants to be creative, while still following all the assignment parameters. At last we arrived at our Top 3 Director Finalists who were then flown out to Hollywood for meetings with the Screenplay Contest Finalists and the Review Panel

Skeleton FilmWorks

Raikus

Good first ep. Loved how it showed the weasels in the business all the more clearly. And what about the directing choice? Substance over style? What's the world coming too (although his pitch meeting was embarrassingly horrific itself).
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

Quote from: RaikusGood first ep. Loved how it showed the weasels in the business all the more clearly. And what about the directing choice? Substance over style? What's the world coming too (although his pitch meeting was embarrassingly horrific itself).

It was a pretty good start. 'Sitting in' on the meetings, I could see the reasoning for both sides. The choice of director, however... I guess they decided they want to make for a better TV series. How else to explain choosing him after a terrible pitch meeting where the guy made clapping sounds infront of his mouth?

The best part was the meeting about writing, but the label on the phone said, "Dail 9 first."

Quote from: Gamblor Ain'tWorthADollarReruns anytime soon?

http://www.bravotv.com/Schedule/search.bravo?month=2006-12&keyword=Project%20Greenlight&start=today

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

Haha well shut my mouth.
WWPTAD?

modage

i've never seen this show before because i didnt have hbo when the first two seasons were on.  but i'm going to watch this season because i have bravo.  i have hbo currently too, so i guess that does me no good now.  anyways, although i despise reality tv, i will and am instantly hooked on this show i guess because its more like a dvd extra on making a movie and less like a competition or something once thats out of the way in the first episode.  and this stuff is interesting.  i cant believe they picked the crazy guy to direct after i was sure they were going to go with that confident kid.  this will probably be disastrous, but yeah it was interesting to see how even damon and afflecks pick for writer was totally shut down by the dimension and hte moneymen.  you could see how pissed damon was about it all episode.  what sucks is this probably will not be any good either and then everyone loses.  its a good idea for a show though, and a contest and started with very noble intentions.  so... yeah  :yabbse-thumbup:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Weak2ndAct

I watched season 1, and it was just sad b/c Pete Jones was such an idiot.  I gave up on season 2 b/c the directors were such douchebags, it was infuriating to watch (4 years of school spent working on shoots for people this lame is enough for me-- don't need to watch it).  So I taped the premiere, though haven't watched it yet.  Someone told me that the crazy guy that got picked is Clu Gulager's son.  Who's that?  Director of 'A Day With the Boys' (excellent short on the George Washington criterion) and longtime character actor.  Oh yeah, he appeared in motherfuckin'  Nightmare on Elm Street 2.  Who's the 'master of horror' producing this greenlight movie?  There goes the whole idea of giving someone 'unknown' a shot.  The show has reached even new levels of lameness (yes, nepotism and people getting gigs b/c of showbiz families irk me).  I'm not even going to watch this, it'll probably piss me off even more.

Raikus

If you saw Gulager's directing piece and the other two guys he was in contention with, there's no question why he was picked. It wasn't to "make the show better," or because of nepotism, it was because this guy truely has the ability to raise the script out of the gutter with good direction.

Now, it will be a trainwreck getting to a final product, but it has a much better chance of being a visually stunning film with a blah script, than blah direction along with it.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

MacGuffin

Quote from: RaikusIf you saw Gulager's directing piece and the other two guys he was in contention with, there's no question why he was picked. It wasn't to "make the show better," or because of nepotism, it was because this guy truely has the ability to raise the script out of the gutter with good direction.

But the studio picked the safe script. Why not go with the safe director? Afterall, it was the suits that had a problem with Gulager. I agree the guy directed a very good piece, but I dunno how they could believe the guy can be a "leader" based on that interview.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Raikus

The feeling I got from it was that Damon and Affleck (behind the scenes in the director's meeting) said "you guys picked a shit script, we're picking the director. Period."

It was obvious the people in the room were far more for the first guy then Gulager. It was basically Matt and Ben fighting for him. Then, after break it was like "Gulager's the director."

At least that's how I imagine it went down.