Welles, Orson

Started by modage, June 10, 2003, 03:36:08 PM

SHAFTR

I am going to have to say that Citizen Kane deserves its hype, I didn't think so the first time I saw it though; but since than I've had a week of one of my film classes spent talking about the movie and I have since bought the DVD and enjoy it more and more.

My top 3 Best Movies of All Time
Citizen Kane
Breathless
The Grand Illusion
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Cecil

Quote from: chriskelvin
Quote from: cecil b. demented
Quote from: chriskelvinI saw his version of Othello today. Orson, if you can hear me right now, you are a genius...a genius, you hear me?

yes, i hear you

erm, cecil, is your real name also Orson? Or is that the kind of jokes I just don't understand?  :roll:

just a joke. cause he says "genius." im saying im orson wells the genius.

its funny to explain jokes sometimes. :-D

tpfkabi

Quote from: SHAFTRI am going to have to say that Citizen Kane deserves its hype, I didn't think so the first time I saw it though; but since than I've had a week of one of my film classes spent talking about the movie and I have since bought the DVD and enjoy it more and more.

My top 3 Best Movies of All Time
Citizen Kane
Breathless
The Grand Illusion

same for me. the prof. pointed out so many devices, camera angles, sound links, etc.
i remembered he talked about 3 big shots/scenes
1. the diner table, where we see the ruining of a relationship and marriage in a very short time.....the length of the table grows in every shot, flower changes/die, etc
2. when Kane stills the best newspaper staff and at first you see the photo and then it "comes to life"
3. and for teh life of me, i can't remember the third........oh, i think i remember now......the shot of the opera (where we never actually see the crowd, but we feel like it's big) and then the camera "pans" up (while the sound changes accordingly) to the two guys in the rafters

but those shots alone make a great film and there are so many more:
the long "hall" of mirrors, the little Kane playing outside in the snow in focus like the rest of the shot, the shot of Kane speaking  behind the big poster of himself.......and there are many more
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

SoNowThen

Just saw The Trial yesterday. Damn!! David Lynch eat your heart out... THIS is how nightmare movies should be done. What a great flick!

Orson is cool. Must locate a copy of this on dvd.

As to Magnif Ambersons, even though the studio destroyed some of the stuff he shot, are there ANY copies of anything (like an intermediate print or something) so that someone could piece together the whole thing, no matter how shitty the quality? Or are we forever fucked out of seeing the whole story?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Comte de Saint Germain

forever fucked.

~rougerum
The garland of the trumpet was set afire, and then I saw the aperature of the dome open and a splendid arrow of fire shoot down through the tube of the trumpet and enter the lifeless body. The aperture then was closed again, and the trumpet, too, was put away.

-Johann Valentin Andreae, Die Chymische Hochzeit des Christian Rosencreutz, Strassburg, Zetzner, 1616, pp. 125-126

SoNowThen

Seriously? Then I'm never watching Ambersons. I don't wanna see a mutilated version.

Anybody have the Trial on dvd, can tell me if the quality is decent? There seems to be 3 diff versions (2 all region, one region1)
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

Quote from: SoNowThenSeriously? Then I'm never watching Ambersons. I don't wanna see a mutilated version.
what remains is pretty good.

u saw american history X didn't u? millions of things are butchered. orson is just the biggest shame.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Hmm, yeah, I guess I'm just pouting. I'll eventually see Ambersons. It's just such a damn shame.

The fact that things are taken away and changed is the one bit I hate about movies. So frustrating. It's like publishing a poem, and chopping the last two lines. Or when fucking radios get those Radio Single versions of good songs, and edit a minute out of them. Pure evil.

MacGuffin

Quote from: SoNowThenAs to Magnif Ambersons, even though the studio destroyed some of the stuff he shot, are there ANY copies of anything (like an intermediate print or something) so that someone could piece together the whole thing, no matter how shitty the quality? Or are we forever fucked out of seeing the whole story?

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=952
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

i bought the Trial on dvd for 7 bucks in a dvd bin. it was made by Laserlight. the quality is pretty bad, but i think i made a post on it a page or so ago.

what version did you see of it? is all the dialogue done post and out of sync?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

SoNowThen

Yeah, I got a video copy (letterboxed) from the library. It looked pretty good, but I had to CRANK the sound on the tv. I just wanted a dvd for the chapter stops, and cleaner sound.

And yeah, it was mostly out of sync, but I'm so used to that from all the Fellini movies. :-D

cine

How about Orson's voice? I think I mentioned this in the past on another thread but really his voice really stands out and his presence is really felt when you hear him speak. This is of course because he was a great thespian already with his Mercury Theatre before making Kane. I only watch the film on DVD but sometimes I'll get out the TCM VHS of Citizen Kane just to listen to him talk about the actors in the CK intro when all you see is a microphone under the light. I'm waiting for the "It's on the DVD, dumbass" because I'm not *entirely* sure if its on there; I didn't think it was. Anyhow I love that whole intro. I'm compelled to listen to him speak until he's finished. One of the absolute greats of the cinema and in no way overrated.

MacGuffin

Quote from: CinephileHow about Orson's voice? I think I mentioned this in the past on another thread but really his voice really stands out and his presence is really felt when you hear him speak.
I think his voice narration (along with the eerie, pre-1980 Nostradamus predictions) was one of the reasons "The Man Who Saw Tomorrow" scared the crap outta me.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

And when he did "The War of the Worlds".. amazing. Orson Welles just had that raw intensity in his voice that every word he said, he said it with power and authority. Beautiful.

***beady***

Yeah, the live broadcast, semi-journalistic style he did was fantastic.