Welles, Orson

Started by modage, June 10, 2003, 03:36:08 PM

SoNowThen

Yeah, I see what you're saying. "Best" has gotta be THE most subjective word in the English language.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

that much hype can ruin anything.  even the best movie ever.  :wink:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

But what if it was the BEST hype ever?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

oh man, i am SO THERE!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

WhooHooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Um, yeah.... anyway, in all seriousness (disregarding the current "he's dead" jokes), is Orson still alive? I can't remember. I certainly hope so...

modage

"he's dead" jokes?!?!  :shock:

no seriously, he died 10 October 1985
Hollywood, California, USA. (heart attack)
he was 70.

SoNowThen

The Silver Bullet

I'm weirded out solely by the fact that you didn't know.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

tpfkabi

i like the Trial too. i bought it for 7 bucks in a crummy dvd bin. i believe he got shorted on budget for this film, so all the sound is done post, and a lot of the sound doesn't sync (i think he might have even had to do the voice overs for several other actors because of lack of funds). i don't know if this is the DVD people's fault or if this is just what they were given. none the less, the camera angles / sets are amazing, just like in Kane and in all his films i've seen.

i think it's one of the greatest tragedies of film that he didn't get moderate control on his films after Kane. to be honest, i really think film might be in a slightly different place right now if he did.

he was that good in ALL areas: sound / visuals / story / acting.

some directors are known for their striking visuals, but lacking stories etc, and any other combinations of the things listed above.......but he seemed to do it all well.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

(kelvin)

I saw his version of Othello today. Orson, if you can hear me right now, you are a genius...a genius, you hear me?

Cecil

Quote from: chriskelvinI saw his version of Othello today. Orson, if you can hear me right now, you are a genius...a genius, you hear me?

yes, i hear you

Sleuth

(takes a deep satisfying breath with a smile on his face, tears in his eyes, shaking head thoughtfully)  I knew it...
I like to hug dogs

(kelvin)

Quote from: cecil b. demented
Quote from: chriskelvinI saw his version of Othello today. Orson, if you can hear me right now, you are a genius...a genius, you hear me?

yes, i hear you

erm, cecil, is your real name also Orson? Or is that the kind of jokes I just don't understand?  :roll:

Sleuth

It's the kind you don't roll your eyes at!
I like to hug dogs

(kelvin)