Welles, Orson

Started by modage, June 10, 2003, 03:36:08 PM

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

i just found out that wells is dead, first i find out that kubrick is dead and now this   :: sobs like a little girl::

SoNowThen

Yep, I just bought Touch. Will watch probably this week.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

I don't think the letter is in the special edition dvd, because that wouldn't be good for sales because from what I remember, Welles destroys all credibility of the film if it was even done his way.

~rougerum

Pubrick

Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackMani just found out that wells is dead, first i find out that kubrick is dead and now this   :: sobs like a little girl::
dude, u won't like what i just found out on the kurosowa thread then:

Quote from: dufresneespecially since he's dead.

::freaking out:: this is not happening this is not happening!!
under the paving stones.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: P
Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackMani just found out that wells is dead, first i find out that kubrick is dead and now this   :: sobs like a little girl::
dude, u won't like what i just found out on the kurosowa thread then:

Quote from: dufresneespecially since he's dead.

::freaking out:: this is not happening this is not happening!!

OHH WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK........... :: runs into the mountains waving his hands in the air and screaming jibberish::

SHAFTR

It's interesting that Welles helped start Film Noir with Citizen Kane and had one of the last film noir films with Touch of Evil.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

The Silver Bullet

QuoteSay what you will about personal expectations, but Citizen Kane towers over films contemporary with it.
Indeed I will say what I will about personal expectations. I personally found there to be nothing special about Citizen Kane. That is not to detract from its importance in a historical context, it's just saying that I didn't like it too much. So sue me.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

modage

Quote from: The Silver BulletCasablanca lives up to expectation.

Citizen Kane gets raped by expectation.
Expectation makes Citizen Kane its bitch.

But to each his own.
For the record I really, really loved the Welles performance in Kane. Just not much else.

i like your "expectation" quote.  its really funny.  and at first viewing (which is all ive seen the kane thus far), i think sums up how i felt about it after watching it as well.  whereas exactly, casablanca, on the other hand, i dont give a shit what it did, or didnt influence, i had a great time watching it.  i thought it was great all the way through.  kane on the other hand seems like a movie you have to know about to fully enjoy.  if you arent aware of all the cool shit going on then its going to not have a big impact.  i even watched the documentary first, so i knew allthe backstory, and i think that helped, whereas my girlfriend on the other hand was like "that was it?"
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

The Silver Bullet

See, I knew a lot about Citizen Kane [I had not seen the doco, however], but I dunno. I wasn't able to see what made it this masterpiece that everyone said it was. In terms of Orson Welles, give me F for Fake over Kane anyday of the week. His performance is just as good, and it is a much better, much more innovative film.

Bar the Welles performance, the only thing I enjoyed about Citizen Kane was noting what scenes The Simpsons ripped off for the Rosebud episode.

And for the record, it isn't as though I'm saying that I dislike Citizen Kane just to look cool. If anything, saying something like this could get a man stoned. With rocks, I mean.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

godardian

I prefer Kane to Touch of Evil... I do think it's a brilliant film. It's very, very rich. Unlike many other "great" films, I think it has a lot of cheek and spryness and is very fun to watch. I think it probably deserves its status, much more so than things like Casablanca and Gone With the Wind.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Keener

I've only been able to get my hands on Citizen Kane which I fully enjoyed and did think it lived up to the hype. I enjoyed it all. I'm dying to see Touch of Evil as well as his other work. Alabama has crappy video stores.  :cry:
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

(kelvin)

Don't forget his brilliant performance in The Third Man. Nonetheless, I don't think that Welles is in any way overrated. Just think of it: Citizen Kane was his first...his very first!...movie. It's just incredible that someone who has never worked as a film director can make such a film without any experience concerning cinematography and film aesthetics.
The Lady from Shanghai is a very good film as well, I love the mirror scene in the end. Even his "minor" films, such as The Stranger, which he didn't appreciate that much himself, always show his extraordinary talent. Idem for The Magnificent Ambersons, altough mutilated by Robert Wise and others, Confidential Report, the film essay F For Fake, and even his short films and documentaries.  For me, he is just one of the greatest directors.

modage

yes, but a good first movie, and THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER CREATED EVER, are two different things.  thats a shitload of hype.

and i dont want to be misunderstood, i LOVE orson welles. i love everything ive seen so far.  but all im saying is that i agree with TheSilverBullet when i say that it didnt knock my socks off as much as id hoped.  hopefully that will change with repeat viewings.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

In terms of Directing Zest it certainly is the greatest. More so than anyone else, he is responsible for the forming of style in EVERY single one of our favorite directors.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

right, and i am not going to argue whether or not it was the MOST INFLUENTIAL movie of all time.  but is it still the BEST?  that'd be like saying the Model T was the best car ever created because it influenced the way everybody else made their cars.  yeah...but havent people learned what they could from that car and went on to design cars that were better?