Love Liza

Started by aclockworkjj, June 07, 2003, 03:04:45 PM

Keener

I really, really loved this movie. Thanks to aclockworkjj for mentioning it. When I saw it at Hollywood I remembered seeing the topic about it from some time back and picked it up. A real treat. Sorry to see a great deal of you here didn't enjoy it.

I only rehash this topic to find out soundtrack details. Can anyone help ? I love all the songs in this movie.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

MacGuffin

Quote from: KeenerI only rehash this topic to find out soundtrack details. Can anyone help ? I love all the songs in this movie.

http://us.imdb.com/Soundtracks?0282698
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jokerspath

Just hearing the title of this movie or seeing the cover makes me feel lightheaded, obviously because of his gashuffing addiction...

Once, I went to the dentist and got gas for like the first time, so I was sucking it in really hard, and I hallucinated that I saw Number Munchers on the ceiling.  I can't think of the dentist (let alone type this) without feeling sick and dizzy...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

jokerspath

Quote from: tremoloslothAre you lying

Not in the least.  I just had to get a drink of water to get my head straight...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

Keener

I've never seen that feature on IMDb. Thanks a bunch !
Alabama Film Forum

Mesh

Quote from: KeenerI only rehash this topic to find out soundtrack details. Can anyone help ? I love all the songs in this movie.

Go buy this:

Jim O'Rourke - Eureka

If you like that, lemme know and I'll point you toward more excellent O'Rourke music.....

Mesh

Quote from: ebeamanIt's really a shame that Phil Hoffman had to have a debut like this.

Wait, what?

Mesh

I'm here to agree with the general consensus about Love Liza.  It was OK at best.  Way to much gas huffing, not enough back story, intriguing characters, etc.  PSH was good, as always, but he didn't have a ton of character to work with: "Depressed gas-huffer who experiences short bouts of insanity"....that was about it.  I also agree that the O'Rourke music worked very, very well except when it had lyrics.  The whole "girl at work likes Wilson" sub-sub-plot was weak.

Thing I'll remember most about the movie:  The scene where Wilson, sitting slumped over in the darkened hallway, rants at his friend for coming in uninvited.

Hey!  Was anyone else totally remined of About Schmidt?  They were, like, the same movie, except one had lots more gas-huffing and RC planes.

Keener

Ah, screw you all. I loved the movie.
Alabama Film Forum

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: KeenerAh, screw you all. I loved the movie.

Rock on Keener.  I thought it was a very moving portrait on grief, something you don't get from Hollywood nowadays.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

godardian

Quote from: Ghoulardi Goon
Quote from: KeenerAh, screw you all. I loved the movie.

Rock on Keener.  I thought it was a very moving portrait on grief, something you don't get from Hollywood nowadays.

That's probably a too-easy generalization about Hollywood (The Moonlight Mile surprised), but I will say I enjoyed it quite a bit more than Mesh did. It's strange- I didn't mind the music at all, it wasn't bad or anything, but I felt the movie would've done better with a more spare instrumental soundtrack or really nothing at all. I didn't feel it was a great fit.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: MeshGo buy this:

Jim O'Rourke - Eureka

If you like that, lemme know and I'll point you toward more excellent O'Rourke music.....

I wouldn't mind hearing more....

aclockworkjj

this is Imdb.com's movie of the day.....here is what they say about it.

IMDb Movie of the Day
The debut feature from actor-turned-director Todd Luiso, Love Liza is an odd but potent mix of pain, grief, frustration and even laughter. Starring Philip Seymour Hoffman as Wilson, a man recently widowed following the completely unexpected suicide of his wife, Liza. Faced with the quiet mass of crushing emotions tied to her death, Wilson's grief is initially tempered by the detached, vague kindness of those around him, including the distant concern of his mother-in-law Mary Ann (Kathy Bates), his well-intentioned client Tom Bailey (Stephen Tobolowsky), and even his very concerned boss Maura (Sarah Koskoff) and her quirky brother Denny (Jack Kehler). Wilson struggles with his emotions, becoming increasingly dependent on the respite offered by huffing gasoline fumes to avoid opening the suicide note that his wife left him, for fear of what he might find, or how he might have failed her. Even his brief foray into the world of model planes, a hobby he stumbled into rather than chose, only serves as a simple, pleasurable escape for so long, before the reality of his life barges back in and the debate over opening his wife's letter begins to weigh on his mind again. While Hoffman's mostly silent, all-consuming depictions of Wilson's grief are exquisitely overpowering and could easily be the sole focus of the film, screenwriter Gordy Hoffman's script twists the film's focus a bit, to examine how the helpful intentions of others in such a situation can actually make the despair more acute and almost claustrophobically inescapable, aiding rather than calming the erratic behavior of the grieving.