All the Real Girls! - August 19th! (UPDATED W/ SPECS!)

Started by Ernie, June 06, 2003, 11:13:57 AM

Gold Trumpet

Fuck. No video store in my city has it. No place selling it. I ordered through amazon but am not sure. Amazon screwed up on the last 5 movies I ordered and I never got them. Again, fuck.

I'm on the waiting list still.

~rougerum

aclockworkjj

Quote from: MacGuffinFry's Electronics
they suck ass for new DVD releases the 2 times I have tried to grab something on "the day"...they hadn't recieved them yet...the last one being PDL....so I went and got it at Walmart.  That is sad.

Cecil

Pozer

Best Buy never fails me!
It felt good to blind buy this for some reason
it just looks like a movie I'm gonna love
plus I think I enjoy the same cup of tea as SoNowThen
but Ebes is the OG Bastard on DGG I believe
Gotta give 'im props for his tase in movies at his age

mindfuck

Okay wow. Just watched it. Stop reading now if you haven't seen it 'cause spoilers are coming.

That's probably the first movie that I've seen that's ever really captured that feeling of being cheated on. I really felt that one. Great movie.

MacGuffin

Get ready, ebeaman:

First off, I'm not disappointed about blind buying this. I think Green's filmmaking can be summed up in a shot that just struck me as a stand out. It's the one on the dog with his hind legs disabled, and yet he still is capable and able to go on, and Green finds beauty in objects/characters like that. Here, he takes everyday, banal dialogue interesting and tells us alot about the characters from it. The relationship of their innocent, young love was beautiully set up and established. Zooey commanded the screen in the 'fish hook' story, and Green does right by the actors to just let them talk in long takes. It gives everything a very real and natural feel. I also think the editing is incredible in this film. Love how the dialogue plays over other scenes/images.

But then, when she becomes 'honest' with Paul, it lost something for me. It turned a bit cliche (a little like "Who's That Knocking On My Door?"). The dialogue after that point seemed written, and, yet, the actors felt like they didn't have any direction to say what they felt (and not in a 'that's how they're supposed to behave' way). At that point, the characters seemed to be doing things out of character for themselves. Soap opera or melodrama, whatever you wanna call it, seemed heavy handed then (the two ways the river flows, and Paul telling his mom that her hitting him hurt, but it helped, being examples). Now, it didn't upset me to the point where I hated the movie because of the ending, but it felt like another movie crept in. But still, it was worth watching.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

edison

Quote from: mindfuckOkay wow. Just watched it. Stop reading now if you haven't seen it 'cause spoilers are coming.

That's probably the first movie that I've seen that's ever really captured that feeling of being cheated on. I really felt that one. Great movie.

I agree 100% with you on that one, the confession scene really hit me hard because i was in a way in a conversation pretty much just like that and it felt so real and brought back old memories, weird how a movie can do that. I really love Tim Orr's camera work just as much as i liked it in G. Washington. Still need to check out the commentary and finish the deleted scenes, i really hated the first one that pops up, that bust-ass guy cant improve for shit, just repeats the same lines over and over, good thing that was taken out. I almost bought this but just decided to rent it and im glad i did, i enjoyed it but its not one i would watch over and over.

mindfuck

Quote from: EEz28
I agree 100% with you on that one, the confession scene really hit me hard because i was in a way in a conversation pretty much just like that and it felt so real and brought back old memories, weird how a movie can do that.

Exactly. After thinking about the rest though I almost wish it had ended right there for some reason.

jokerspath

Quote from: mindfuckNetflix already has it. Just got it in the mail today.

I just got my email notice that they shipped it this morning!

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

SoNowThen

haven't got a chance to watch my copy yet -- it's killing me

SPOILER

I just wanted to remember in writing, that part at the end, for those who have said they didn't like the last bits as much as the rest of the movie...

The whole "water dog, land dog" thing, then him sitting there with his puppy.... I think that's the most beautiful scene ever in a movie. I dunno. Just the perfect way to end the film to me...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ernie

Quote from: SoNowThenhaven't got a chance to watch my copy yet -- it's killing me

SPOILER

I just wanted to remember in writing, that part at the end, for those who have said they didn't like the last bits as much as the rest of the movie...

The whole "water dog, land dog" thing, then him sitting there with his puppy.... I think that's the most beautiful scene ever in a movie. I dunno. Just the perfect way to end the film to me...

MORE SPOILERS

Yea, that scene always made perfect sense to me cause it's like he finds solace in life with his dog after the breakup...I think a lot of people look to pets at traumatic times in their lives. That was as real as can be. He kinda takes some of his anger out on it at first, but eventually he calms down. It's hard to get mad at a good dog.  

See, I think a lot of people expected it to end either with Paul clutching Noel in his arms or Noel waving goodbye to Paul from a bus window or something...but that's just not how it always ends up I don't think. I mean, I wouldn't be the one to tell you but I've seen other people's relationships go awry...and Paul's stuff at the end definitely reminded me of them. It's perfect.

SoNowThen

I agree. Perfection.

And two more things I want to point out that I love about that scene:

1) He sits looking back at his home town. DDG could have picked a nice sunset or landscape or something, but if I remember correctly, he's mulling things over while he stares at the town he's lived in his whole life. Just speaks so many volumes in one shot -- exactly what film is supposed to do.

2) All I could think of with the dog is 'aw, that's so nice, he's sitting with his pupppy. How come my puppy doesn't sit still with me for more than one minute..', then the dog gets up and walks away. Absolute perfection. The movie read my mind.
:)
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

*SPOILERS*

Answer me this then: Why does Noel, after having expressed that Paul was the only guy she wanted to spend more than five minutes with, lets him in on her 'fish hook' story, and trusts with her viginity secret, decide to "cheat" on him, and herself? To me, it seemed a plot device to get at what you guys are fawning over. She says after that, she knew she loved him, but I don't believe that. She loved him before that.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

I dunno, sometimes you really love someone, yet still do things that you know are gonna hurt them.

the more i thought about the film, it seemed almost inevitable that she had to cheat on him, like a karma payback for what he used to do to girls.

but as to what she said, well, characters can say all they want but do they even know what they really meant? she's trying to explain, and she's doing a bad job of it. no matter what she says, it's not gonna take paul's hurt away.

but you're right, it does feel like the only "plotted" moment of the script. interestingly enough, at that moment in the theatre, all i could think of was 'this is a really great movie. but something should happen soon, otherwise i might not be able to keep loving it...', then of course the one thing i don't want to happen happens :).... just seemed to work on a narrative level for me, even though i understand it to be somewhat blatant plot manipulation...

Ernie

Quote from: SoNowThenI dunno, sometimes you really love someone, yet still do things that you know are gonna hurt them.

the more i thought about the film, it seemed almost inevitable that she had to cheat on him, like a karma payback for what he used to do to girls.

Right right, that's what DGG talks about for a little in that making of featurette thing...about how it's like a doomed romance. That's what's so heartbreaking about it. It's about two people that might have been perfect for eachother but it was just bad timing...timing is everything. Hence the early scenes of utter infatuation and trust accompanied by the later scenes of betrayal and their (inevitable like you said) breakup.