Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Gold Trumpet

The Lower Depths has been officially posted on the Criterion website and not only does it have the best cover art for any Kurosawa film, but one of the best covers for the entire collection imo, but anyways, here is the link: http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=212

~rougerum

Gold Trumpet

Confirmed by Mulvaney via customer questions as future possibilities:

Criterion hopes to release, but nothing is definite at this time:

A Mizoguchi title (4/17/03)
An Ophuls film (5/5/03)
Eisenstein silent films (4/17/03)
Films by Rohmer, specifically the 6 Moral Tales as a box set (5/13/03)
L’Eclisse (3/21/03)
More documentaries in 2003 (5/1/03)
More Hitchcock in 2004 (4/28/03)
More Truffaut in 2003 (3/26/03)

For the Hitchcock, expect likely Blackmail. That seems the obvious right now for him.

~rougerum

xerxes

Gold Trumpet

Latest on Ikiru is that it has been postponed for release til 2004. Its dissapointing because it is the most anticipated of the Kurosawa releases for me too.

And to add to my previous post, "The Devil and Daniel Webster" has been announced as an official release sometime this year.

~rougerum

SoNowThen

A while ago, Mulvaney replied to an email of mine and stated that La Strada will be out before the end of 2003. Fucking finally.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenA while ago, Mulvaney replied to an email of mine and stated that La Strada will be out before the end of 2003. Fucking finally.

Yeah, they actually had that one listed on some of their inserts a while back, as I recall.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

As far back as 2001, if I'm not mistaken.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

edison

Expect Floating Weeds and Diary of a Country Priest in 2004, source is from JM himself.

Gold Trumpet

Sad sad news on Floating Weeds. With the Ozu centennial coming later this year, I completely thought it would be released late in the year like originally planned. This was the most anticipated of for sure releases coming up for me.

~rougerum

cine

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetConfirmed by Mulvaney via customer questions as future possibilities:

Criterion hopes to release, but nothing is definite at this time:

A Mizoguchi title (4/17/03)
An Ophuls film (5/5/03)
Eisenstein silent films (4/17/03)
Films by Rohmer, specifically the 6 Moral Tales as a box set (5/13/03)

~rougerum

I'm very happy about the Rohmer films, and I hope the Mizoguchi film is "Princess Yang Kwei Fei" and the Ophuls film is "The Earrings of Madame de..." I also wouldn't mind a Criterion Potemkin.
These would make me quite a happy camper.
-Cinephile

godardian

Diary of a Country Priest is probably my favorite Bresson... I can't wait for that. It's really an experience.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Gold Trumpet

Major major major rumor here. Don't wanna say anything is definite, but rumor has it Criterion is planning to release Visconti's The Leopard on dvd, which is considered one of the very best movies of all time (never seen it) and one of the most anticipated works to get on dvd. This was sent to a member on the Criterion forum by someone from Italy in the dvd business:

Big news, Criterion is remastering Il gattopardo and while the edition we got before was struck from a newly printed 35mm but positive, their master will be HD and strucked by the 8 FRAMES ORIGINAL TECHNIRAMA NEGATIVE!!! it will be gorgeous, as always their dvds are...

~rougerum

godardian

This piques the interest of part of me... and makes the other part wish somebody would watch that damn Blood Simple commentary already, so we could discuss (yes, there is a Merchant/Ivory connection...)

Merchant Ivory films slated for DVD Release

The filmmaking collaboration of Ismail Merchant and James Ivory has spanned three continents over four decades, and now The Merchant Ivory Collection is being released on DVD. The series, produced in association with Criterion and distributed by Home Vision Cinema, will debut in August with two adaptations of Henry James directed by James Ivory—The Europeans (1979), starring Lee Remick, and The Bostonians (1984), starring Christopher Reeveand Vanessa Redgrave. Bombay Talkie (1970), Heat and Dust (1983), Maurice (1987), and Quartet (1981) will follow later in the year, and the series will continue into 2004. For more information about Merchant Ivory Productions, visit their website.

Gold Trumpet

Weird news to be on Criterion website considering they aren't even releasing the films listed but instead will be released by Home Vision (different company).

~rougerum

Gold Trumpet

Releases by Criterion for September have been announced and packs a nice list of films which include Knife in the Water, the anticipated Polanski release and The Devil and Daniel Webster, which also was in rumor stage for a few years. Then finally is Fassbinder's BDR Trilogy getting the confirmation on when it will be released considering it was already officially announced.

Original announcement here:
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/index.cgi?page=News&id=4679

HVE website info (links may be removed)

Knife in the Water:
http://www.homevision.com/film.php?id=KNI020

The Devil and Daniel Webster:
http://www.homevision.com/film.php?id=DEV040

Fassbinder's BDR Trilogy:
http://www.homevision.com/film.php?id=CC1594

~rougerum