BRIAN DE PALMA

Started by godardian, May 13, 2003, 02:03:06 PM

SoNowThen

Kick --- fucking --- ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ellroy and DePalma is like a marriage in some perverse alternate dimension of heaven...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

yeah, that would be good if marky mark werent there to fuck it up.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

:shock:

man, did he not own Boogie Nights? He proved all he ever has to prove right there...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

Quote from: SoNowThen:shock:

man, did he not own Boogie Nights? He proved all he ever has to prove right there...

he did own Boogie, but has ruined just about every movie since then.  that was a one-time performance coaxed out of him by a mad-genius.  otherwise this movie would rule.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

I thought he was pretty good in Three Kings...

modage

thats right.  i knew there was one more exception.  so for every 20 films, he doesnt screw up 2 of them.  still, the odds arent good, but its still possible.  the idea of ellroy and depalma sounds fantastic though, so ill see it either way.

Chest Rockwell

I like Marky-Mark. He has a great bod.

godardian

I'm glad this thread was again brought to my attention (have to agree with Chest Rockwell, though Marky Mark's bod suffers from that Brad Pitt overexposure thing, which is kind of a turnoff).

I recently saw Casualties of War- last night, in fact- and I'm still articulating my thoughts on it. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen it and what their opinions are?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Alethia

i thought it was ehhh......but then again i saw it on TV, ill rent it soon enough

SoNowThen

I like Casualties. One of the best moments in a DePalma film is when MJ Fox is walking with his buddy and he gives that long monologue about doing the right things when you're so close to death. I like that part a lot.

The movie looks kinda shitty though...

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenI like Casualties. One of the best moments in a DePalma film is when MJ Fox is walking with his buddy and he gives that long monologue about doing the right things when you're so close to death. I like that part a lot.

The movie looks kinda shitty though...

I found that it had that blunt, bright-lit DePalma look, not much different from the rest of his films... garish, but obviously thought out and meant that way.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

SoNowThen

Yeah, and when you compare it to the other good 'nam movies (Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket), it's visuals are sorely lacking.

But I do like that movie, despite the blah picture...

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenYeah, and when you compare it to the other good 'nam movies (Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket), it's visuals are sorely lacking.

But I do like that movie, despite the blah picture...

Well, do you find all DePalma's movies visually blah, though...? 'cos I completely recognized the compositions/framing/lighting. I mean, it's definitely his, you know? As much as those things in Full Metal Jacket are so recognizably Kubrick. Really over-hot instead of ice-cold precise.

I could understand taking issue with DePalma's visual style and preferences, but I didn't find this one much different from any of his others in that way. I wasn't surprised it looked the way it did, I guess is what I'm saying. It was the story and the characterizations that were different (or had a different effect) for him.

SoNowThen

I find his compositions and visual style to be great, and his camerwork (movement) top notch. But I find that way the DP's light his movies often leaves something to be desired.

billybrown

For those that have seen it, is Mission To Mars as wretched as all the critics made it out to be? If so, does it have any of the redeeming Depalma qualities like great visuals and camerawork to offset the bad script or what have you? The DVD is quite cheap, like 11 bucks brand new, and I am getting tempted to take the plunge, as I am a fan of his, and the DVD is quite loaded with extras. I might even hit up Bonfire this weekend for 7 bucks, also brand new, and complete the critcally maligned, bottom of the barrel, Depalma double-bill DVD experience. Guilty pleasures I suppose, in that Snake Eyes kinda way...