BRIAN DE PALMA

Started by godardian, May 13, 2003, 02:03:06 PM

MacGuffin

De Palma Making Capone
A prequel to The Untouchables.

Brian De Palma has just signed a deal with Paramount Pictures to direct The Untouchables: Capone Rising, a prequel to his 1987 film The Untouchables, according to today's Variety.

De Palma, whose other credits include Scarface and Carlito's Way, replaces Antoine Fuqua who had been previously linked to the project. The Untouchables: Capone Rising, will center around Al Capone and Irish cop Jimmy Malone and track Capone's rise as king of the underworld.

Screenwriters David Levien and Brian Koppelman have been working on the script. When the project was initially announced, Levien told Variety, "The film starts on the eve of Capone's arrival, and while Malone wasn't the most corrupt cop, he operated at a time when every cop was on the take.  Once he crosses paths with Capone, he sees a level of violence and criminality that causes him to have a moral awakening."

The '87 film, which starred Kevin Costner and Robert De Niro (as Al Capone), and the Untouchables TV series, which aired in the late '50s/early '60s and starred Robert Stack, were both based on Oscar Fraley's novel of the same name.

De Palma has just wrapped up work on The Black Dahlia for Universal and may make Capone his next project.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

prequel prequel fucking prequel.
under the paving stones.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

soixante

I just rented De Palma's obscure 1980 cult film Home Movies.  It is like his late 60's experimental films Hi Mom and Greetings.  It is quite different from his horror and action films.
Music is your best entertainment value.

socketlevel

i love how across the board the poll was

that has to say something good about the man

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Weak2ndAct

:multi:  :multi:  :multi:  :multi:  :multi:  :multi:  :multi:  :multi:  :multi:  :multi:  :multi:  :multi:

The Red Vine

My favorite Brain De Palma movie is probably Scarface. Carrie is probably his best achievement as a director but it's just too depressing to be my favorite. And it's disturbing as hell.

Poor Carrie  :yabbse-sad:
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

modage

when can we hear your mixtape?  or should we wait till it hits the streets!

just kidding, you know, because rappers love scarface.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

JG

every christmas i get at all this scarface paraphonilia.  i now have like three posters and two figurines of a movie that is just pretty good.  my parents think that because i love movies scarface is like my favorite movie.   

Split Infinitive

Quote from: JimmyGator on February 14, 2006, 02:58:58 PM
every christmas i get at all this scarface paraphonilia.  i now have like three posters and two figurines of a movie that is just pretty good.  my parents think that because i love movies scarface is like my favorite movie.
If my parents bought me Scarface paraphernalia every Christmas, I would carve them up in the bathtub with a chainsaw.

No, seriously.  I hate the movie that much.
Please don't correct me. It makes me sick.

Alethia

yeah, i love alot of depalma but scarface sucks...but we can blame it on oliver stone and not feel so bad!

The Red Vine

Scarface isn't a GREAT movie, but I liked Al Pacino's wild performance. It seems to be a real love/hate movie for a lot of people.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: RedVines on February 15, 2006, 12:07:40 AM
It seems to be a real love/hate movie for a lot of people.

It's OK.

JG

A lot of the reason that i think it's hated is that douche bags love it.  it's not bad  but it's certainly not great.