How movies are made explains the power (and potential abuse) in Hollywood

Started by wilberfan, December 05, 2017, 04:15:48 PM

wilberfan

http://www.wbir.com/article/news/nation-now/how-movies-are-made-explains-the-power-and-potential-abuse-in-hollywood/465-3d68b96e-c072-4968-9a63-c39b5c7168e9

QuoteSix corporate-owned major studios remain at the top of the Hollywood movie pyramid: Paramount, Sony, 20th Century Fox, Universal, Walt Disney and Warner Bros. All serve as one-stop production houses — producing, marketing, publicizing and distributing big-budget films such as Justice League, Warner/DC Films' latest superhero movie.

The bottom line-oriented majors rely on safe, tested concepts, with release schedules that are heavy on sequels, franchises and branded content (from Rocky to Harry Potter) — the "tentpole" movies that are reliable moneymakers in an era when cinemas face strong headwinds.

I found this depressing, for some reason.  (Naivete on my part, I suppose.  Or I'm remembering a time when this wasn't the case...).

QuoteThere are still risk-takers who earn big budgets for original stories, such as Christopher Nolan, Steven Spielberg and James Cameron, thanks to their successful box-office track record. And independent auteurs like Wes Anderson and Paul Thomas Anderson are able to work with investors to bring their ideas to the screen on a scaled-down budget to minimize financial exposure.