The Night Of.... (HBO Mini series)

Started by max from fearless, July 01, 2016, 05:09:41 AM

max from fearless

From creators Steven Zaillian and Richard Price, The Night Of is an eight-part limited series that delves into the intricate story of a fictitious murder case in New York City. The series follows the police investigation and legal proceedings, all the while examining the criminal justice system and the purgatory of Rikers Island, where the accused awaits his trial. The Night Of stars John Turturro and Riz Ahmed and was directed by Steven Zaillian and James Marsh.

Was at a screening of the first episode last night. This first episode is directed by Zaillian and shot by Robert Elswitt and its really really really, good TV, film or whatever. Great performances, amazing supporting cast, wonderful extras. The writing is amazing, the pacing, the attention to details, the look and tone, all on point. Sidney Lumet is gonna love this. I cannot wait to see more. John Turturro is a master.

polkablues

I've got some bad news for you re: Sidney Lumet...
My house, my rules, my coffee

RegularKarate

They're streaming the first episode on HBO go right now.
I don't know about this one.
I'll keep watching it for a few more episodes because it does seem like this first one is just setting everything up, but it was frustratingly unbelievable and there are some really stupid moments and bland dialog.
Then John Turturro shows up and suddenly it feels like a show I want to see, but he doesn't show up until the end.
This could end up being really good, but there's some dangerously rough patches.

Jeremy Blackman

I mostly agree. This was very good but could end up going either way.

(Spoilers)

What I loved about the episode was the moments of sinking dread when Nasir realized his life was over. Each one more intense than the last. In particular the whole sequence when he's waiting in the police station really got to me. I can't think of anything else that's captured that specific feeling so vividly.

In terms of unbelievable moments, yeah. Nasir did the worst things you could possibly do after seeing what he saw. He was still on coke and ecstasy or whatever, but I can see that feeling like a cheat.

I definitely don't believe the knife through the hand moment. She would be screaming endlessly, all the way to the ER, right? Hands are not just slabs of flesh. There's all kinds of bones and tendons and junk in there.

©brad

Hmm... what rough patches are you referring to RK? Genuinely curious. I found the premiere to be riveting, not to mention beautifully shot and staged. It's also daringly cast. I can't imagine many other networks approving a similar cast for something like this.

I suppose the kid made some stupid decisions but that's kind of the point no, he's young and drug-fueled and obviously panicked? Some of the dialogue felt kind of bland but nothing stood out as being cringe-inducing. Richard Price is known to be a master of dialogue, at least in his books.

So far so good. Between this and Mr. Robot coming up I'm happy with summer TV.

RegularKarate

Quote from: ©brad on July 12, 2016, 04:46:05 PM
Hmm... what rough patches are you referring to RK?

JB mentioned the hand thing. That was a little outrageous.
Also, some pretty on-the-nose cliches like picking up a girl like this and having that moment by the bridge.
I know it was setting stuff up, but the moment with the racist guy on the street felt pulled right from a bad movie.

Now it's been two weeks though and to be honest, the rough patches are more foggy and I'm looking forward to the next episode.

jonas

2nd episode was great as well.

Looks like it will be more concerned with police/system procedure rather than a whodunit.

Great camerawork and framing along with an overall creeping sense of doom for Naz. I thought the scene with Box trying to get a confession then slowly going to the board and writing "Homicide" for the charge was very well done.

Any one else notice the cop in the interview at the beginning stressing that he didn't puke, only dry heaved (we saw him puke)? Just shows how little stories can change from peoples point of view. Not that what the cop did mattered, but the fact that the "good guys" can change their story and it not really be challenged is in line with what the theme of the show seems to be so far.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

Jeremy Blackman

Eh. The second episode was at least 20 minutes too long. They bring us through the procedure as if we've never seen anything like this before. I actually almost fell asleep.

SPOILS

The highlight for me was the detective. His gut is telling him it doesn't add up, while the evidence is telling him that it does. When he made that last push for a confession, I think he sincerely did want help putting things together. Nuance is definitely a strength of this show — the detective can have that genuine curiosity while still being a "subtle beast."

RegularKarate

Yeah, I'm a little torn because I really liked this episode's patience, but maybe it was a little TOO patient.

SPOILS
I also really like this detective, but the aspect that I appreciated the most was Turturro appearing a little out of his depth. Being aware of that, but still moving forward with confidence. I really liked the moment he had with the judge that congratulated him on being in the right place at the right time.

©brad

Yes agree on pacing. There was maybe 20 minutes of material here stretched out to 50.

I have to give it to Steven Zaillian for showing some impressive directorial chops, pacing issues aside.

Turturro's foot problem. What um, is going on there exactly?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ©brad on July 19, 2016, 01:09:10 PMTurturro's foot problem. What um, is going on there exactly?

He's going to find a remedy by the end, and that will be a metaphor for his success.

Jeremy Blackman

SPOILERS

Real question: Is there even going to be a trial in this thing?

It's a mini-series of 8 episodes. There will not be a second season. Vague future spoilers: Looking at the description of next week's episode, the trial may not begin until Episode 7, if it happens at all. So let's take a look at what might transpire in Episode 5:

Stone takes on a commission and rescues a detainee on death row. Naz is pulled further into Freddy's sphere of influence at Rikers. Box reconstructs Naz's whereabouts the night of the murder, while Helen maps out a prosecution strategy.

I'm not sure people signed up for this. A "miniseries event" about... prison life and lawyer drama? It's a shame, the premiere felt so fresh. The show spends too much time on anything and everything except "the night of."

The backlash has already begun. Episodes 2, 3, and 4 could have been combined into a single hour, easily. The prison scenes are unbearably dull. Holding a storyline in stasis does not give it more meaning. Listen, if I were a hardcore fan of procedurals, maybe this would be working for me. But it feels like they're running out of time, and they haven't really found anything interesting to talk about yet.

Also, eczema is the most overwrought metaphor of the year. Just cut all of it out. This is actually what Steven Zaillian said about it:

"It gradually became a kind of symbol, it developed in a very natural way, it spoke to who this character was. We did a lot of research on it, too, and it became more and more interesting."

I just rolled my eyes so hard that I'll have to take corticosteroids now.

RegularKarate

Haha... episode 4 was actually the episode that made me finally like the show.
I think that has to do with my letting go of this ever being great. Now it's just a beautifully shot and interesting show that I'm curious to finish.

SPOILS

I liked not knowing who to trust. It mirror's Naz's experience. Everything is so confusing... everyone seems like they want to help, but then they also claim they are the only one that CAN help and that everyone else is wrong (yes, like the eczema and yes, I'm pretty bored with that aspect too).

RE: Trial
Let's face the fact that we may lose Naz before a trial even happens. I just hope we get at least SOMEWHAT of an idea of what happened that night and it's not one of those intentially ambiguous things because fuck that.