Pete's Dragon

Started by matt35mm, February 21, 2016, 11:06:16 PM

matt35mm

Uh, it's probably about time we made a thread for this.

TRAILER!!!!!!!!

I'm so fucking proud of you gb

jenkins

still waiting for the trailer, still excited because duh

polkablues

Cockteaser trailer. I want more!
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

it doesn't give me much to anticipate. i'm not dying to see what the dragon looks like. i'm dying to see the dragon sneeze, hairball, and/or roll on the ground. the kid is a mystery to me. it's got adults dropping e bombs, and that gets me worried.

because i'm easy but i'm sassy too. this is destined to be my favorite 2016 multiplex movie. for me the real kickers arrive in the helicoptering, tracking shots across treetops, and the general composition of the sequence with the kids turning around in the bus, then the kid turning around while on top of the bus, and:

Lottery

Ayo, you know you've made it when your work is trending on twitter.

Kal

Looks incredible. Congrats David this is so awesome!

Alexandro

oh shit. my kids are gonna LOVE this. I'll be there on release day.

modage

Looks great. I keep wondering how the Ghostboy vibe fits into the Disney machine but this looks like the perfect synthesis. Would love to know the BTS on the WTWTA nod on the poster.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

Quote from: modage on February 22, 2016, 10:55:43 AM
Looks great. I keep wondering how the Ghostboy vibe fits into the Disney machine but this looks like the perfect synthesis. Would love to know the BTS on the WTWTA nod on the poster.

Bizarrely, it never came up. When I first saw the poster I quietly sent an e-mail with the WTWTA dvd art in response but it was never acknowledged. The only concern was trying to not make it feel like Jungle Book or Good Dinosaur. I guess creatures peeking out from behind things are just embedded in the lexicon of poster designs. All in all, I'm really happy with the poster.

polkablues

Quote from: Ghostboy on February 22, 2016, 12:17:51 PM
The only concern was trying to not make it feel like Jungle Book or Good Dinosaur.

I was wondering how much Disney was worried about that as far as the marketing goes. It is a bit of a boom time for feral children and their large animal friends.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

synopsis:

QuoteFor years, old wood carver Mr. Meacham (Robert Redford) has delighted local children with his tales of a fierce dragon that resides deep in the woods of the Pacific Northwest. To his daughter, Grace (Bryce Dallas Howard) who works as a forest ranger, those stories are little more than tall tales until she meets Pete (Oakes Fegley), a 10-year-old with no family and no home who claims to live in the woods with a giant green dragon named Elliot. From Pete's descriptions, Elliot seems remarkably similar to the dragon from her father's stories. With the help of Natalie (Oona Laurence), an 11-year-old girl whose father Jack (Wes Bentley) owns the local lumber mill, Grace sets out to determine where Pete came from, where he belongs, and the truth about this dragon.

reminder:

QuoteIn March 2013, Disney announced a reboot of the 1977 film to be written by David Lowery and Toby Halbrooks
QuotePanavision Panaflex cameras
QuoteLive-action filming locations include Bay of Plenty, Wellington and Canterbury, while CGI will be done at Stone Street Studios.
QuoteThe film is set for an August 12, 2016 release

Oona Laurence: originated Matilda on Broadway

Music by: Howard Shore (Howard Shore)
DP: Bojan Bazelli (Paul Schrader's Patty Hearst, Stan Winston's Pumpkinhead, Ferrara's King of New York, The Ring, Hairspray, and Rock of Ages you motherfuckers "risky jk")
Editor: Lisa Zeno Churgin (Gattaca [drops mic], and also Dead Man Walking and Pitch Perfect)
Casting: Debra Zane (clear Hollywood pro)

Production Designer: Jade Healy
^this is a favorite credit of mine because it could very well be, based on looking at imdb credits, that Lowery and Healy met on the set of Joe Swanberg's Alexander the Last, for which Lowery was a writer, an additional editor, sound recordist, Ry Russo-Young was wardrobe ffs, these were the wild west days of upcoming independent filmmakers, and Lowery was right in the center and indeed you can see Ghostboy on stage at a point in the movie. textures. i like those things. this job is bringing some textures, and other credits include The House of the Devil, Detachment, Ain't Them Bodies Saints, James White.

Ghostboy

Quote from: jenkins<3 on February 22, 2016, 02:01:14 PM

Music by: Howard Shore (Howard Shore)

(my secret weapon)

wilder

Quote from: jenkins<3 on February 22, 2016, 02:01:14 PMMusic by: Howard Shore

Oh My God! Cross an item off the bucket list. :yabbse-thumbup:

QuoteDP: Bojan Bazelli
Editor: Lisa Zeno Churgin
Casting: Debra Zane

Incredible collection of collaborators. Not to mention The Sundance Kid.