Most visually impressive series you have seen

Started by Mel, September 18, 2014, 03:21:49 AM

Mel

This is a kind of response to "TV's a Crowd - Article on Television vs Film aesthetics".

It would be easy to pick True Detective or The Knick, I offer some lesser known series.

Shadow Line (BBC 2011)

A forgotten gem. The British audience expected something like "The Wire", where creator wanted to show Gotham-like version of London. Very dramatic lighting (going from full black to full white in the same scene) and compositions. Some visually memorable scenes: finding of Harvey's body, clock workshop, almost every death.

The Returned (Canal+ 2012-)

Best first episode of any series I've seen, enough of recommendation?

Planet Earth (BBC 2006)

I just couldn't hold myself, when it comes to documentaries from BBC.

Few honorable mentions:
Red Riding (Ch4 2009) - every part is shot on different camera.
Wallander - question, which one?
Borgen (DR1 2010-) - unusual 2.20 aspect ratio, especially for political drama.

More to follow.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

Reel

The Decalogue, The X Files, a handful of Tales From The Crypt episodes...

The intro to that show is the most visually impressive opening I've seen:

Drenk

Classic. The Sopranos.

SPOILERS

The last scene if one of the best visual moment I've experienced. Chase makes you aware of everything. Not only Tony's PoV but also all the little things that happen in this dinner room. And everything seems threatening because we're aware of everything. Life gets intense in these last minutes. And that's what we experience, yes, life. The scene makes you look. You wonder what's gonna happen. And when, ultimately, it cuts to black, you realize how precious what happened was. And how easily it just wash away.

There's also the weight of the series. The echoes. When Carmela, AJ enters the room, it gas a weight. It's a family reunion. They seem happy.

Ascension.