Sofia Coppola

Started by Rudie Obias, April 18, 2003, 08:27:21 PM

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: Pthe broke up cos she was too good for him.
I thought it was because she stole Lance Acord and wouldn't give him back.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Pozer

And now I'll pull my arms out with my face

tpfkabi

well, i guess because everyone thinks that Sophia is the Charlotte character and Diaz is whoever Anna Farris plays........and it seems that Charlotte is quite annoyed with her and her husband's relationship
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

godardian

On page 15 of the new EW (02/13/2004), Sofia Coppola's twelve CD picks. Including some interesting stuff from My Bloody Valentine, New Order, Gang of Four, Roxy Music, One from the Heart sdtk.... She also seems to have a fondness for trendy stuff, which I won't get into here, you'll just have to read the mag. Full-length photo of Ms. Coppola herself amidst her picks.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Chest Rockwell

Hey guys! I just saw Virgin Suicides for the first time tonight, and I really liked it. I love how moody, or airy, Sofia's movies are. They really give me a warm feeling when I watch them, though this one was certainly inferior to LIT in my opinion and was a tad more depressing (not saying LIT was at all). All in all I enjoyed it, and the acting was surprisingly credible from the kids and Kirsten and Josh. Oh, and I liked how mysterious it was (at least to the end that I can't really say why the girls suicided themselves), and also how the focus was less on the girls and more on the anxiety of the boys. A very nice film.

modage

i dont think it was inferior.   i like them about the same.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

analogzombie

I wonder how many big busget Hollywood Romantic Comedy scripts are being thrown at Sophia right now?

Do you think she will parle her success into a big Hollywood film next or is she more like PT Anderson, someone who has a vision of continuing to make personal projects, Hollywood be dammed. I mena, it's not as if she needs to make the move into big movies for financial reasons. She doesn't have to worry about how much money she makes and I think the success of LIT has secured her ability to get her next 2-3 films financed.
But is she the type to attempt a mainstream romcom?
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

SHAFTR

Quote from: analogzombieI wonder how many big busget Hollywood Romantic Comedy scripts are being thrown at Sophia right now?

Do you think she will parle her success into a big Hollywood film next or is she more like PT Anderson, someone who has a vision of continuing to make personal projects, Hollywood be dammed. I mena, it's not as if she needs to make the move into big movies for financial reasons. She doesn't have to worry about how much money she makes and I think the success of LIT has secured her ability to get her next 2-3 films financed.
But is she the type to attempt a mainstream romcom?

i think the PTA route.  She seems in the auteur vein. She wrote and directed both of her pictures.  I think if she wanted to jump the blockbuster gun, she would have already.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Chest Rockwell

I agree with SHAFTR. I think one more movie will really show us where she's heading. Though I don't see how writing her movies really matters...well...I guess that could show that she isn't relying on some low-key jerk's script when she can just write her own screenplays. But Anthony Minghella also writes his movies and I hate Minghella (besides Talented Mr. Ripley).

modage

Quote from: Chest RockwellThough I don't see how writing her movies really matters...well...I guess that could show that she isn't relying on some low-key jerk's script when she can just write her own screenplays. But Anthony Minghella also writes his movies and I hate Minghella (besides Talented Mr. Ripley).
writing her own movies matters hugely because even if she fucks up, atleast it'll be from her, and not because she got restless waiting for the perfect script to come along and decided to settle for something in the meantime.  her writing her own movies means, it has to be worth telling for her to want to tell it.  what does minghella have to do with anything?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: Chest RockwellThough I don't see how writing her movies really matters...well...I guess that could show that she isn't relying on some low-key jerk's script when she can just write her own screenplays. But Anthony Minghella also writes his movies and I hate Minghella (besides Talented Mr. Ripley).
writing her own movies matters hugely because even if she fucks up, atleast it'll be from her, and not because she got restless waiting for the perfect script to come along and decided to settle for something in the meantime.  her writing her own movies means, it has to be worth telling for her to want to tell it.  what does minghella have to do with anything?

I was just looking at the issue from two angles, both of which I addressed (and one of which you basically repeated from me). The first is
Quote from: Chest Rockwell...well...I guess that could show that she isn't relying on some low-key jerk's script when she can just write her own screenplays.
I'll admit, I didn't put enough into this thought, but what you said is basically what I meant to say.

The second is
Quote from: Chest RockwellBut Anthony Minghella also writes his movies and I hate Minghella (besides Talented Mr. Ripley).
in which I addressed the same statement from the angle that "well maybe SHAFTR's trying to say that anybody who writes/directs is cool" standpoint, so I showed my disdain for this particular viewpoint by pointing out Minghella.

Sorry I didn't explain this better in the original post.

lei

or was there no discussion of Sophia and the Oscars.
Are people really more harsh on women directors?
And if not why is their more negative feedback and more gossip about her personal life in this thread.  I don't think Fiona Apple is mentioned Once in the PTA threads.

kotte

Quote from: leior was there no discussion of Sophia and the Oscars.
And if not why is their more negative feedback and more gossip about her personal life in this thread.  I don't think Fiona Apple is mentioned Once in the PTA threads.

http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=647&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=fiona+apple

http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=3940&highlight=fiona+apple

http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=758&highlight=fiona+apple

MacGuffin

Lost In Translation thread:
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=3446

Post-Oscar comments thread:
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=5604
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

worst first impression award recipient.
under the paving stones.