Sofia Coppola

Started by Rudie Obias, April 18, 2003, 08:27:21 PM

godardian

Quote from: themodernage02in the new issue of rolling stone Sofia names her top 5 romantic movies

Sofia Coppola on Burning Love
1. Breathless
2. In The Mood For Love
3. The Thin Man
4. Gilda
5. Harold And Maude

All wonderful choices from a cinematically insightful filmmaker...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: godardianAll wonderful choices from a cinematically insightful filmmaker...
and you could be too if you had daddy warbucks and the heir director patting your butt along the way... :wink:

godardian

Quote from: aclockworkjj
Quote from: godardianAll wonderful choices from a cinematically insightful filmmaker...
and you could be too if you had daddy warbucks and the heir director patting your butt along the way... :wink:

Not necessarily. I think Roman kind of sucks. At least C.Q. did, in my opinion.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

MacGuffin

Sofia Coppola, Spike Jonze to Divorce

LOS ANGELES - Filmmakers Sofia Coppola and Spike Jonze are splitting after four years of marriage.

Coppola, daughter of Oscar-winning director Francis Ford Coppola, filed divorce papers Friday in Los Angeles County Superior Court. She cited "irreconcilable differences" and said the couple separated in May. They have no children.

The couple reached the decision to divorce "with sadness," Coppola's publicist, Bumble Ward, said in a statement.

Coppola, 32, wrote and directed the recent "Lost in Translation," starring Bill Murray, and the 2000 drama, "The Virgin Suicides."

Jonze, 34, whose real name is Adam Spiegel, is the director of the 1999 cult classic "Being John Malkovich," and last year's "Adaptation."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

That's somehow not surprising. From what I know about both of them, they wouldn't appear to have compatible or complementary personalities or sensibilities.

Pubrick

it must've been his fault. cos she's perfect in every way.
under the paving stones.

Gamblour.

Quote from: godardianThat's somehow not surprising. From what I know about both of them, they wouldn't appear to have compatible or complementary personalities or sensibilities.
Really? What are they like?

I've read where people think Ribisi's character in Lost in Translation is supposed to be Spike Jonze and the ditzy blonde is Cameron Diaz (this is probably discussed elsewhere, no need for a redirect), but then Coppola denied this. Hmm...now I wonder.
WWPTAD?

molly

Quote from: Gamblor du Jour

I've read where people think Ribisi's character in Lost in Translation is supposed to be Spike Jonze and the ditzy blonde is Cameron Diaz (this is probably discussed elsewhere, no need for a redirect), but then Coppola denied this. Hmm...now I wonder.

i hate when people do that

godardian

Quote from: Gamblor du Jour
Quote from: godardianThat's somehow not surprising. From what I know about both of them, they wouldn't appear to have compatible or complementary personalities or sensibilities.

I don't know what they're like or if that gossip could possibly be true, but their images and work tell me that Coppola is more cerebral, reserved, and sensitive, while Jonze is gregarious, extroverted, and prankish. That's all I meant.

Slick Shoes

This is great -- my chances with Sofia just leap-frogged to a million to one!!

Gamblour.

Quote from: godardian
I don't know what they're like or if that gossip could possibly be true, but their images and work tell me that Coppola is more cerebral, reserved, and sensitive, while Jonze is gregarious, extroverted, and prankish. That's all I meant.

Oh ok, I see.
WWPTAD?

Chest Rockwell

Well, if I were twice my age I might go for Sofia. for now I'll just stick with an obsession over Scarlett moreso than Sofia. That'd be cool If I can meet either, though I'd be more anxious to meet Scarlett, sadly...though I think Sofia and I could have many an interesting conversation about...umm...y'know, film stuff. Whatever.

ono

Coppola is on the Leno late night rerun that's started, well, right about now.  If you get it, that is.  Heh.

tpfkabi

did Jonze and Diaz have an affair? it seems that people are hinting that Diaz is the cause of the split......or am i totally off base?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pubrick

Quote from: bigideasdid Jonze and Diaz have an affair? it seems that people are hinting that Diaz is the cause of the split......or am i totally off base?
who is hinting that?

the broke up cos she was too good for him.
under the paving stones.