Sofia Coppola

Started by Rudie Obias, April 18, 2003, 08:27:21 PM

Ghostboy

You're right, it is about her as a director...but the argument is a continuation of the one that was started in Alguien's thread about Lost In Translation, so that's why the focus on that is so prevalent.

modage

just saw Lost In Translation.  wow.  this is one of those movies i just cant get out of my head.  been home for an hour, but the feeling of the movie is still hanging with me.  (i guess playing the soundtrack is helping with that too), but still.  this movie isnt a story so much as it is a feeling.  and you really feel something watching these people together.  and when it ends, its really sad to have to leave them.  this movie was my favorite of this year so far.  finally something worth watching.  fall is here.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Teen Wolf

I concur. It is, for me, the best movie of 2003 thus far. One scene in particular nearly brought tears to my eyes, it was so sad and beautiful all at the same time. And I'm not one who typically cries at movies. Not like a certain friend of mine who wept like a little bitch during Freaky Friday...

coffeebeetle

I'm so jealous!!!!!

This film isn't playing anywhere near me.  I'm fiending!!! :evil:
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

cine

fuck. i too have no access to this movie and would obviously kill a man to see this.

mutinyco

Need any names and addresses?
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Redlum

Just for the people in the UK. (Maybe you'd be interested in this again, Budgie). Lost in Translation is playing at the London Film Festival this year on the 28th and 29th of october. I saw Punch Drunk Love there last year and PTA, EW, and DL attended. Great night.

http://www.lff.org.uk/films_details.php?FilmID=158
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

tpfkabi

does Lost in Translation have any kind of webpage that shows when it opens in cities (like PDL did)?

i'm guessing i won't get to see it for a long time.......and i really want to now........i think i've read 4 articles on it in about a weeks time........they're really doing the interviews for this one so it's hyping it up for me
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: bigideasdoes Lost in Translation have any kind of webpage that shows when it opens in cities (like PDL did)?
it opened on a wider level this weekend...well, least did so in California.  Check something generic like www.moviefone.com for yer listings.  If that doesn't help...gimme sum time and I will bootleg that shit to ya in no time!!...(just kiddin' bout the bootleg...damn internet cheapos)

mutinyco

What Else Was Lost In Translation

By MOTOKO RICH

IT doesn't take much to figure out that "Lost in Translation," the title of Sofia Coppola's elegiac new film about two lonely American souls in Tokyo, means more than one thing. There is the cultural dislocation felt by Bob Harris (Bill Murray), a washed-up movie actor, and Charlotte (Scarlett Johansson), a young wife trying to find herself. They are also lost in their marriages, lost in their lives. Then, of course, there is the simple matter of language.

Bob, who is in town to make a whiskey commercial, doesn't speak Japanese. His director (Yutaka Tadokoro), a histrionic Japanese hipster, doesn't speak English. In one scene, Bob goes on the set and tries to understand the director through a demure interpreter (Akiko Takeshita), who is either unable or (more likely) unwilling to translate everything the director is rattling on about.

Needless to say, Bob is lost. And without subtitles, so is the audience. Here, translated into English, is what the fulmination is really about.

DIRECTOR (in Japanese to the interpreter): The translation is very important, O.K.? The translation.

INTERPRETER: Yes, of course. I understand.

DIRECTOR: Mr. Bob-san. You are sitting quietly in your study. And then there is a bottle of Suntory whiskey on top of the table. You understand, right? With wholehearted feeling, slowly, look at the camera, tenderly, and as if you are meeting old friends, say the words. As if you are Bogie in "Casablanca," saying, "Cheers to you guys," Suntory time!

INTERPRETER: He wants you to turn, look in camera. O.K.?

BOB: That's all he said?

INTERPRETER: Yes, turn to camera.

BOB: Does he want me to, to turn from the right or turn from the left?

INTERPRETER (in very formal Japanese to the director): He has prepared and is ready. And he wants to know, when the camera rolls, would you prefer that he turn to the left, or would you prefer that he turn to the right? And that is the kind of thing he would like to know, if you don't mind.

DIRECTOR (very brusquely, and in much more colloquial Japanese): Either way is fine. That kind of thing doesn't matter. We don't have time, Bob-san, O.K.? You need to hurry. Raise the tension. Look at the camera. Slowly, with passion. It's passion that we want. Do you understand?

INTERPRETER (In English, to Bob): Right side. And, uh, with intensity.

BOB: Is that everything? It seemed like he said quite a bit more than that.

DIRECTOR: What you are talking about is not just whiskey, you know. Do you understand? It's like you are meeting old friends. Softly, tenderly. Gently. Let your feelings boil up. Tension is important! Don't forget.

INTERPRETER (in English, to Bob): Like an old friend, and into the camera.

BOB: O.K.

DIRECTOR: You understand? You love whiskey. It's Suntory time! O.K.?

BOB: O.K.

DIRECTOR: O.K.? O.K., let's roll. Start.

BOB: For relaxing times, make it Suntory time.

DIRECTOR: Cut, cut, cut, cut, cut! (Then in a very male form of Japanese, like a father speaking to a wayward child) Don't try to fool me. Don't pretend you don't understand. Do you even understand what we are trying to do? Suntory is very exclusive. The sound of the words is important. It's an expensive drink. This is No. 1. Now do it again, and you have to feel that this is exclusive. O.K.? This is not an everyday whiskey you know.

INTERPRETER: Could you do it slower and ——

DIRECTOR: With more ecstatic emotion.

INTERPRETER: More intensity.

DIRECTOR (in English): Suntory time! Roll.

BOB: For relaxing times, make it Suntory time.

DIRECTOR: Cut, cut, cut, cut, cut! God, I'm begging you.

In an interview, Ms. Coppola said she wrote the dialogue for the scene in English, and then it was translated into Japanese for Mr. Tadokoro. The scene, she said, came out of her own experience promoting her first feature film, "The Virgin Suicides," in Japan. Whenever she would say something, she said, the interpreter would seemingly speak for much longer. "I would think that she was adding to what I was saying and getting carried away, so I wanted to have that in the scene."

In the scene, Ms. Coppola said, Mr. Murray never did learn what the director  was saying. "I like the fact that the American actors don't really know what's going on, just like the characters," she said.

Frankly, it's not clear that even if Bob-san had understood what the director said, it would  have helped.

Ms. Coppola said she purposely gave the director "lame directions," adding, "He wasn't supposed to be the best director."
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Pozer

GOIN TO SEE THIS TODAY
GOIN TO SEE THIS TODAY
GOIN TO SEE THIS TODAY
HEY.....
GOIN TO SEE THIS TODAY

coffeebeetle

Enjoy.  I would go back again tonight (after seeing it this afternoon) if I was able too.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

aclockworkjj

Here's here is a interview from KCRW's The Treatment with her....(real player format.)

Redlum

Article on Scarlett Johansson in a London Film Festival supplement, for Lost in Translation.

QuoteShe leaves me on the corner of 8th Street, slips on a pair of sunglasses and a set of headphones and sashays up Seventh Avenue. No one gives her a second glance. I manage to catch a glimpse of the CD she pops into her portable recorder. She is, listening, ironically enough, to those edgy New York hipsters, Simon and Garfunkel. I'm so unexpectedly touched, I nearly weep.

Ahh..
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,6870-845630,00.html
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

modage

in the new issue of rolling stone Sofia names her top 5 romantic movies

Sofia Coppola on Burning Love
1. Breathless
2. In The Mood For Love
3. The Thin Man
4. Gilda
5. Harold And Maude
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.