Sofia Coppola

Started by Rudie Obias, April 18, 2003, 08:27:21 PM

SoNowThen

ooohhh Paris and Nikki Hilton -- now THERE'S two gals I would like to make. Damn Damn Damn!!!!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: SoNowThenooohhh Paris and Nikki Hilton -- now THERE'S two gals I would like to make. Damn Damn Damn!!!!!

sofia was like them she would hang out at every " hip" spot and have her picture taken and she tried to be a cool hipster and well so did drew barrymoore at the time, and lets put it this way it worked for drew and not sofia

but artsy folks will buy anything as long as its presented as anti mainstream

mutinyco

Like I said on the other thread, you're crawling up the wrong tree. Gonna get bark burns. You sound more jealous than anything...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Quote from: mutinycoLike I said on the other thread, you're crawling up the wrong tree. Gonna get bark burns. You sound more jealous than anything...

on this your right, yeah i have a 9 inch dick and with her nose she still could still satisfy my girlfriend better

Pubrick

i would do sofia coppola and her movies are ekzellent and she is a saint.
under the paving stones.

aclockworkjj

she's only mediocre...Pants I am hearing ya 100%.  Too many like her soley cause they are expected to.  Get rid of daddy warmovie and she is nothing.

I would love for her to change my opinion, but I doubt this new movie will do so, as after seeing the trailer...I have no desire to see this.  I am sure Murray will be good though.

mutinyco

That was everybody's opinion -- including myself -- until we saw the movie. There's a reason it's getting unanimous praise.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

if I may throw in my two cents here:

sorry to my good PM pals who I usually agree with, but I think Virgin Suicides was a great flick. I also think Lost In Translation will be a great flick. I don't know about her personally, or how it happens, but these movies interest me.

If there is one overpraised hack in the family, I would say it's her husband, whose wink-wink-nudge-nudge films can't come close to the emotion value of his wife's.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

©brad

this is all stupid. ur judging her film #1 w/o even seeing it and b. u've deemed her unworthy just b/c she's the daughter of francis and the wife of spike jonze?

here's what u do. see the movie. luv it. come back and admit what a jackass u were/r. (this is directed to anyone and everyone, really)

Quote from: ©bradthis is all stupid. ur judging her film #1 w/o even seeing it and b. u've deemed her unworthy just b/c she's the daughter of francis and the wife of spike jonze?

here's what u do. see the movie. luv it. come back and admit what a jackass u were/r. (this is directed to anyone and everyone, really)

its poor bill murry who i feel will get the shaft some people still think he is a chevy chase buddy picture type and he is not

and sofia ive said enough about her

and yes i hope this movie is good, i hope all movies are good i wanted dumb and dumberer to be good because we were bored and that was the only thing playing , and i paid money to see it so yes i wanted to be good it wasnt

now im mad, but i hope this lost in translation movie is good, but most people here dont know her real track record all they know is the virgin suicides

and im basing my point on she spent the 90's career hopping untill she did the last desperate act of a failure she joined the family buisness

first she wanted to be a actress then a model then a tv host then a designer then a photographer, she tried to cure sars and acidentlly invented it............ ok that last one might be exagerating but all those other things she did ................poorlly

Ghostboy

Which she's admitted, in interviews on this site and others, and which went a long way towards  inspiring Lost In Translation. Everybody knows about Godfather 3, and a lot of people know about her other career attempts. That still doesn't take anything away from her being a good director. You're arguing a moot point.

Quote from: GhostboyWhich she's admitted, in interviews on this site and others, and which went a long way towards  inspiring Lost In Translation. Everybody knows about Godfather 3, and a lot of people know about her other career attempts. That still doesn't take anything away from her being a good director. You're arguing a moot point.

fair enough point taken , i just hope this film is great and murry gets the oscar

as long as she fess's up to her past she is A ok with me , because most people dont rememember her past and i still think its a sign of a true failure when your last attempt at making it is joining the family buisness

but as a murry fanatic i hope this film will be great

aclockworkjj

all good points.

But does she have anything left to fail in if she were to have been a flop of a director?...

you can't tell me, that there aren't people wanting her to succeed so badly, that they aren't pushin' her in the butt along the way.  Sure, maybe my/others opinon is based on jealousy, but that is an easy excuse/cop out, being the alternative is that she is just a little rich kid director that daddy, hubby and all their friends will make sure succeeds.  

really, it seems like some of you are talking this a this a little personally.

Ghostboy

It's not so much that we're taking it personally as that we've actually SEEN Lost In Translation and can attest to its quality.

aclockworkjj

well, I thought this was a DIRECTOR thread.... I just don't buy into her as being this creative genius.  And I have see suicides, so my opinion stems from that as well.  Sorry if I joined late and didn't realize this was solely about lost in whatever.