Sofia Coppola

Started by Rudie Obias, April 18, 2003, 08:27:21 PM

Pubrick

has anyone read the BOOK of the Virgin Suicides? and can u tell me how it compares to the movie?

the conclusion in the film i agree was very haunting, SPOILER!!!!!!!! what with the little flames and all.. how is it all in the book? .. (without major spoilers unless it's the same as the movie)
under the paving stones.

children with angels

I've read it, but unfortunately can't remember how they did they ending, so am useless to you... I think they may have just reported briefly that they made a memorial (it's narrated by an indeterminate collective of the boys). I think the last sentence was great though. On of those ones where you put the book down and sit there for a little while in silence.

I do remember it being good, and having a much more guy-centred approach than the movie - so you get even fewer glimpses of the sisters - which made it even more ambiguous and poetic in my opnion.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Ghostboy

I saw the trailer for Lost In Translation today; it looks really good. Not nearly as surreal or moody as the Virgin Suicides, but more quietly comedic. Bill Murray's performance looks fantastic. I think there was some good music in it, too, but the audio was only playing through the center channel (theater's fault), so I could barely hear anything other than dialogue.

MacGuffin

Quote from: GhostboyI saw the trailer for Lost In Translation today; it looks really good. Not nearly as surreal or moody as the Virgin Suicides, but more quietly comedic. Bill Murray's performance looks fantastic. I think there was some good music in it, too, but the audio was only playing through the center channel (theater's fault), so I could barely hear anything other than dialogue.

See for yourself here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

ooh, that looks good. that looks very very good.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Sleuth

I hope they don't play the whole "another language sounds different so it's funny" angle too often.  I really hate that
I like to hug dogs

Pubrick

Quote from: tremoloslothI hope they don't play the whole "another language sounds different so it's funny" angle too often.  I really hate that
yeah man, sofia coppola is totally gonna do that.
under the paving stones.

Sleuth

Well damn, because I really hate that.
I like to hug dogs

chainsmoking insomniac

Sofia's above that you guys.  Lost In Translation is shaping up to be one hell of a movie, according to links posted on this board...I have a feeling it might be one of the best movies this season.... :-D
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

chainsmoking insomniac

I can dig that.  :wink:
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

ono

I just saw a trailer for Lost in Translation before Swimming Pool, and it looks great.  I'm so glad Sofia Copploa is directing a feature again.  I've always heard good things about her even though I've never actually seen any of her work.  I've wanted to see Lick the Star for the longest time, but I'd have no clue where to look to find it.  Anyway, yes, just wanted to add that, and say it's good to see Bill Murray in another film, and the woman he's cast with, Anna Faris, looks like she'll give a good performance as well.  So one reason to shell out $5-$7 for Swimming Pool is this trailer.  The actual movie that follows the trailer isn't all that great, but it's not a complete disaster.

Ernie

Wow, that does look really damn good. Man, those shots of the city and the pool are gorgeous!

Thanks Mac, I've been needing another movie to look forward to, it's sucked big time lately.

rustinglass

I just saw the trailer.
It looks very nice. The Jesus and Mary Chain kick ass!
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

mindfuck

Looks interesting. I'm not sure about Scarlett Johannson though. I haven't found her to be a very convincing actress in the past and her delivery of the lines in the trailer were pretty bad. I'll go see it for Murray and Giovanni, even though he only has a small role.

Pubrick

Quote from: mindfuckLooks interesting. I'm not sure about Scarlett Johannson though. I haven't found her to be a very convincing actress in the past and her delivery of the lines in the trailer were pretty bad.
whatever!
under the paving stones.