Sofia Coppola

Started by Rudie Obias, April 18, 2003, 08:27:21 PM

Rudie Obias

i'm watch PLATINUM on upn and i was surpised to see that sofia coppola created and wrote and is executive producer (along with francis ford coppola) of ths series.  i just thought it was cool!   actually PLATINUM is a lot like THE GODFATHER, the only difference is instead of the mafia it's a rap record label empire.

can't wait til LOST IN TRANSLATION comes out.  now i must buy THE VIRGIN SUICIDE dvd.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Ghostboy

I kinda wanted to see Platinum before now...just looked a little interesting. But now I'll definitely have to try to catch it.

Ah, who am I kidding? I've never been able to keep up with a show for more than two or three episodes (not counting The Simpsons). But that's awesome that she'd doing a show on the subject. I hope there is a token character who promotes quality hip hop!

Keener

I loved the first half of The Virgin Suicides. I mean loved it ! But as soon as Hartnett came into the picture and turned it into a couple movie I lost all interest.

I enjoyed the way it was shot, though. I'll look for her future stuff.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

Sigur Rós

Quote from: KeenerI loved the first half of The Virgin Suicides. I mean loved it ! But as soon as Hartnett came into the picture and turned it into a couple movie I lost all interest.

I enjoyed the way it was shot, though. I'll look for her future stuff.

I felt the same way!  :twisted:

Victor

i fucking hate josh hartnett but he was terrific in this. his half hour was the high point of the movie. same goes for kirsten dunst, i hate her so much, but she was perfect in this movie. i just saw it last night, its great, sofia rocks, i cant wait to see her follow up, whats it called, Lost In Translation? whats it about, does anyone know?
are you gonna eat with us too?

Sigur Rós

The second feature film from writer-director Sofia Coppola (The Virgin Suicides) is set in Tokyo, where two bored Americans — a fading TV star (Bill Murray) shooting an alcohol ad and a young married woman (Scarlett Johansson) with an ambitious, neglectful husband — become fast friends after meeting in a hotel bar. The two then spend an adventure-filled weekend together "finding themselves."

........that's all I could find

MacGuffin

Quote from: Lesteri cant wait to see her follow up, whats it called, Lost In Translation? whats it about, does anyone know?

Release Date: September 19th, 2003 (LA/NY); expands to other cities at later dates

Cast: Scarlett Johansson, Bill Murray, Anna Faris, Giovanni Ribisi

Premise: This is the story of two Americans, a washed-up TV star (Murray) in town for a TV whiskey commercial shoot, and the (very) young wife (Johansson) of a photographer, who meet in Tokyo, Japan and end up spending a weekend hanging out there together on a "soul-searching mission."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Victor

that sounds fantastic, i really cant wait after hearing that. im glad ribisi's coming back, i always liked him a lot, hes was great as narrator for Suicides. And Murray and Scarlet, sheeeit...this is gonna be wonderful.
are you gonna eat with us too?

Ernie

I love The Virgin Suicides...it's one of the most beautiful, most haunting films I've seen. And yes, I also hate Josh Hartnett...but he's pretty good in it. Everybody really is. I definitely have to buy the dvd. I need to see it again to really appreciate it to the fullest. Sofia is the best female director working today for what that's worth (there's so few!).

And yeah, Lost in Translation sounds awesome too...Murray is a genius, Scarlett is awesome. I hope Murray's character is like a burned out Peter Venkman after getting fired from his weird ESP, psychic show from Ghostbusters II...that would be damn funny. He's never been funnier than in the GB movies imo.

cowboykurtis

platinum is pretty flatinum. hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa
...your excuses are your own...

dufresne

they play her B&W short on IFC sometimes.  she obviously has talent, and the Virgin Suicides was a great, haunting film.
There are shadows in life, baby.

i/o

This really isn't a Sofia Coppola movie (or part movie), but have any of you seen New York Stories?
Wasn't the Coppola one just bad?

I am a fan of all three directors, and Scorsese's was pretty good, and Allen's was funny, but the Coppola one was just bad bad bad...

The only reason I bring this up here is because Francis directed it and cowrote it with Sofia...

Bad bad bad...
"Mime is money"

Keener

Life without Zoe was...well, it was...ummm...tolerable ? Yeah, it wasn't as good as the other two but I could sit through it. With Four Rooms, the first two rooms had me wanting to slit my wrists (mind you, I would have just fastforwarded but the remote was across the room and suicide would have been so much easier).
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

Ghostboy

First review of Lost In Translation:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=15498

This sounds so great.

chainsmoking insomniac

Wow!  What a great review!!!  I'm going to go nuts waiting for this movie to come out.  It sounds fucking beautiful...."Bill Murray gives one of his best performances!"  And how can you go wrong with Scarlet!
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls