Teal/Orange Colored Films

Started by Cloudy, August 02, 2012, 05:05:13 PM

Cloudy

This might sound paranoid and ridiculous, but has anyone noticed that films in the last few years are repetitively using these overarching complimentary color schemes of teal and orange? I think this might actually be done in post-production with color-grading, but what's with this trend? It's beautiful for the films that use it well (most don't), but so many films are using it now. I'm wondering how this caught on, or if I'm just being paranoid.

Reel

Thanks for pointing this out! It's been bugging me for years and I could never put my finger on it, I guess I always figured it was a digital-film issue. It got to the point where if I saw a trailer and it looked like that, it would sour the image of the whole film in my mind. I even decided I didn't want to see 'A Single Man' based on the poster:

but then I did see it and it turns out the color grading in that film is used very purposefully and to magnificent effect! It was quite the surprise and taught me a good lesson about judging things by their covers.