Wes Anderson

Started by Sleepless, March 19, 2012, 12:14:21 PM

Sleepless

So is this the de facto Wes Anderson thread now?

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Jeremy Blackman

MacGuffin

Watch: Wes Anderson and 'Coraline' Creators Team for Fantastic Xperia Smartphone Commercial
Source: Movies.com

To promote their new Xperia Smartphones, Sony brought together writer-director Wes Anderson and Laika, the animation house behind the film Coraline, and asked them to create a memorable TV spot based on a child's imagination. So what they did was ask a bunch of kids to use their imagination in describing what their Xperia Smartphone is made of. Anderson and Laika then took the wacky descriptions given by the children and animated them over the course of six weeks.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bethie

aw. good job. i like it.
who likes movies anyway

Sleepless

From Empire

Wes Anderson Discusses His Next Film

Hopefully you've all seen the thoroughly wonderful Moonrise Kingdom by now. If you liked it as much as we did, you'll be pleased to know that there's more on the way, in the form of a new short that'll debut online next week. And in the meantime, Wes Anderson has been dropping a few hints about his next film too.

The next-film snippets come from various sources, helpfully compiled by Rope of Silicon. To Vulture, Anderson revealed that the script is already written, and that the story was hammered out between himself and a non-showbiz friend (so no Roman Coppola for this one, by the sound of it). Domiciled these days in France, Anderson says, "It's a European story, and it kind of draws on my own experiences here." He said much the same to Harper's Bazaar, whilse also joking about making a movie on location in space...

Speaking later to Les Inrockuptibles, he revealed a bit more: "In my next film, the main character, who's a bit crazy, has a personal mind-reader whose assistant is a teenager." He also says that he probably won't need to travel the unknown-actors route that helped cast the Moonrise kids, but that it'll more likely be a project for his usual rep-company. "I'm still attached to my favourite actors," he says, "even if I don't know who'll be playing the main role." Murray! Schwartzman! The Wilsons!

Plenty of ammunition for the people that complain that Wes Anderson's films are too much like Wes Anderson films then, but for the rest of us, nothing but glad tidings.

The Moonrise Kingdom bonus short film, meanwhile, revolves around the various books that Suzy packs in her suitcase. "We had to invent them and give a little glimpse of each one," Anderson tells Coming Soon. "Different artists were doing them, and we've now animated them, each little passage in the style of the cover of the book [it supposedly comes from]. We've made a little short film that's hosted by Bob Balaban, the narrator in our movie. It's a little companion piece that will come out online next week."
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

tpfkabi

Has he been asked about writing with Owen recently? I would have thought his near death would maybe join them back together. It seemed to during Darjeeling promotion, but I am unaware of anything after that. I still haven't gotten the Criterion Darjeeling, so maybe it is addressed there.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

personally I think Luke Wilson's done his best (some may say ONLY) good work under Anderson's direction. wonder if anything happened there, too.

MacGuffin

BREAKING: Wes Anderson Approaching Depp, Wilson, Murray, Law, Norton And More For Untitled New Picture
Source: Twitch Film

Wes Anderson is no dummy. And so, fresh off the success of Moonrise Kingdom, the quirky auteur is already hard at work setting up his next picture. True to typical Anderson form, Twitch has learned that it will be an ensemble cast and while the as-yet-untitled film - or, at least, title-as-yet-unknown-to-us film - will feature a number of Anderson's regulars there are also some intriguing new names in the mix.

While it's hard to say what stage of the process each of these is at at the present, we are told that Anderson is approaching a cast of Johnny Depp, Owen Wilson, Bill Murray, Edward Norton, Jude Law, Jeff Goldblum, Adrien Brody, Willem Dafoe and Angela Lansbury to star in the film.

Please, please, please let this be an Anderson-ized version of Murder, She Wrote. Because that would be kind of amazing.

Actual details on story - as opposed to silly speculation - and updates on the casting process as we get them.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on July 09, 2012, 04:25:34 PMfresh off the success of Moonrise Kingdom

Can we get some stats to back this up?

Is simply releasing a film considered a success these days?

I would've said fresh off taking a dump.
under the paving stones.

wilder

Quote from: Pubrick on July 10, 2012, 01:25:05 AM
Quote from: MacGuffin on July 09, 2012, 04:25:34 PMfresh off the success of Moonrise Kingdom

Can we get some stats to back this up?

Is simply releasing a film considered a success these days?

I would've said fresh off taking a dump.

Marigold Hotel,' 'Moonrise' boost specialty biz - First half of year for indie market lifted by duo
6/5/12

For "Moonrise," interest for helmer Wes Anderson from a wide age range drove his first partnership with Focus Features to become the No. 2 specialty pic of the year so far, with $21.4 million domestically. Focus bowed Anderson's Cannes opener over Memorial Day weekend to the highest-ever per-screen average for a live-action film ($130,749). Since then, Focus has rolled out "Moonrise" slowly, expanding the whimsical coming-of-age dramedy to 884 playdates currently -- its highest count so far.

Source - Variety

'Moonrise Kingdom' Topples Record; 'Intouchables' Strong: Specialty Box Office
5/28/12

After two weeks of unimpressive specialty openers, Focus Features' Moonrise Kingdom has taken the specialty box office by storm, shattering records over Memorial weekend. Directed by Wes Anderson, the film opened the Cannes Film Festival and then hit theaters in the States, setting a new record for a live-action feature in a regular theatrical run, surpassing Dreamgirls' stunning $126K per theater average debut in three theaters back in 2006. Moonrise Kingdom averaged a whopping $130,752 at four locations and an overall four-day $669K gross. Focus, which holds worldwide rights, will take the movie to additional cities in the U.S. each weekend through June, expanding Moonrise Kingdom to several hundred screens. "Moonrise is a story of love's improbable triumph, and for Wes Anderson and his team a labor of love from start to finish," said Focus CEO James Schamus. "How wonderful it is to congratulate him, on behalf of everyone at Focus, for this remarkable, record-breaking opening."

Source - Deadline

polkablues

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=moonrisekingdom.htm

It's already earned back more than twice its budget worldwide.  It's not making Avengers money, but its doing pretty great for a twee musing on pre-adolescent heartache.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

Thanks xixax search bots!

I probably should have done this research myself but you have delivered so thoroughly I'm glad I didn't. See this is what happens when the "box office guesstimations" thread stops being updated.

It's really more fun to like Wes Anderson than to be a hater so i'm happy to hear he might have got his groove back.
under the paving stones.

modage

He didn't! And being a hater is no fun. But neither is trying to pretend he's still got it when he ain't.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

Quote from: modage on July 10, 2012, 10:13:11 AM
He didn't! And being a hater is no fun. But neither is trying to pretend he's still got it when he ain't.

haha... ya grump. Stop telling people they're pretending anything. Just accept that a lot more people like this movie than you anticipated and you're the hater here. It happens to all of us.

pete

what is this magical "it" that he had/lost? he's a guy who likes tender stories with sensibilities that really enthralled people 10 years ago but now those sensibilities are out of sync with the cutting edge. Is that the "it" he lost, that people don't give a shit about deadpan composition anymore? The approach to the stories always have been pretty similar, and, let me play mod's game for a second and say something like "you either like all of his movies or you like none of them, and if you only liked The Royal Tenenbaums than you probably liked it for the wrong reasons." that felt pretty good.

It just so happened that his filmmaking language was very hip once upon a time, just because it's not hip anymore doesn't mean he sucks, it just means you should watch another movie if you wanna see more handhelds or faster cuts or backlighting.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton