Terrence Malick

Started by dufresne, April 17, 2003, 01:42:23 AM

SHAFTR

so I finally saw my first Malick film...Badlands.

Now, I know it's obvious but it still feels good to notice it without having prior knowledge of it.  That's noticing the film is True Romance's inspiration (story, music, female v/o).

I think this is a film that is better after you finish seeing it.  It already has started to, and I'm sure it will continue to, fester in my mind.  THe film is just...perfect.  

So next up is Days of Heaven and Thin Red Line.

I was thinking of picking up a Malick DVD...but from what I can gather Thin Red Line is the only good disc (sound/video).  I noticed that Badlands' transfer wasn't that good, what about Days of Heaven?
Any talk of re-releases?  Anyone else think that Criterion should release Badlands?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

lamas

of course Criterion should release Badlands.  i haven't heard anything about rereleases of any Malick films though.  i wish i had a multi-region player just because the Region 2 Badlands disc has an extra called "Absence of Malick".  anyone seen it?

SoNowThen

Both Badlands and Days Of Heaven dvds look fine. Buy them.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

lamas

Che Lives! (Again)

Soderbergh takes over Malick's biopic
02 April 2004
In the News Nuggets at the end of February we reported that Terrence Malick was planning to make Che, a biopic of charismatic Argentine physician and revolutionary Che Guevara. An all-star cast was attached to the project, led by Benicio del Toro (who had been developing the film for some time) and including Javier Bardem, Benjamin Bratt and Franka Potente. All was going swimmingly, and something of a buzz was building – until Mr Malick decided to drop the film in favour of making The New World with Colin Farrell.

The biopic seemed doomed to disappear into the "might-have-been" bunkers deep under Hollywood, until news came today that indie maestro Steven Soderbergh, already a producer of Che with Benicio, announced that he would step into the elusive Malick's shoes. Production will begin in South America in August 2005 after a delay to allow Soderbergh to re-write Malick's script and finish work on Ocean's Twelve. Assuming that their schedules allow, all the cast remain attached to the project, so the film may yet get off the ground.

Meanwhile, Malick's The New World is also from his own script, and tells the story of explorer John Smith (Farrell) of Pocahontas fame and the clashes between Native Americans and the British in the 17th century. Let's hope the two groups don't clash in the jungle somewhere during filming.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

lamas

whoops.  i don't read the soderbergh forum.

ono

You should.  I've heard it's got some pretty good stuff in there.  Some sex, a lie or two, even a couple old videotapes.  Betamax, don'tcha know?  Unfortunately, the forum doesn't get nearly as much traffic as it should.  Soderbergh is king of the hill as far as I'm concerned, if you don't count PTA or Kubrick.  It can be really Kafka-esque at times, but don't hold that against it.

SHAFTR

I just saw Days of Heaven.  Wow, that film looks good.  My only gripe about the film is sometimes I feel it felt like a 90 minute montage, instead of letting the story take over.  There were very few "scenes".  I know this works with the girl remembering the experience, but I still wanted more.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

The Obstruction

Quote from: SHAFTRso I finally saw my first Malick film...Badlands.

Now, I know it's obvious but it still feels good to notice it without having prior knowledge of it.  That's noticing the film is True Romance's inspiration (story, music, female v/o).

I see it more as a story about being fascinted, of things you don't have experienced, you know like: "the grass is always greener on the other side"
I mean, she is fascinted of him for being independent, and he is fascinted of some cowboys, which are obvious when he gives up the hunt on the freeway with dignity, by claming his tiers where flat, and then hitting the gun

But i must agree with you, it's a wery good movie!!!
"I don't like the word ironic. I like the word absurdity, and I don't really understand the word 'irony' too much. The irony comes when you try to verbalize the absurd. When irony happens without words, it's much more exalted." David Lynch

mutinyco

The interesting thing about Badlands is it's complete rejection of character arcs.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Quote from: StefenYeah i've heard about the other che movie. Called Motorcycle Diaries or something. Maybe it will be kind of like the unauthorized prequel to Malicks Che. Movie.

yes, "The Motorcycle Diaries".  My cousin saw it,  he told me it was kind of mediocre.  Gael García stars as Ernesto Guevara
context, context, context.

MacGuffin

Christopher Plummer to Visit The New World
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Christopher Plummer will star in The New World, director Terrence Malick's take on the Pocahontas tale for New Line Cinema.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the film is set against the backdrop of 17th century America in the nascent Jamestown, Va., settlement where the culture of European explorers collided with that of Native Americans. It focuses on the relationship between explorer John Smith and young Indian princess Pocahontas.

Colin Farrell already has been cast as Smith. Plummer will play Capt. Christopher Newport, an English officer among the initial settlers in the New World who serves as the first president of the Jamestown Colony.

The project is scheduled for a July start in Virginia.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

El Duderino

Wes Studi & August Schellenberg in Malick's "The New World"
Source: hollywoodreporter.com

Native American actors Wes Studi and August Schellenberg are the latest actors to join Terrence Malick's "The New World," says the Hollywood Reporter.

Studi and Schellenberg will be joined by actors Raoul Trujillo and Michael Greyeyes in a cast that is led by Colin Farrell and Christopher Plummer.

The New Line Cinema project, which is Mallick's take on the Pocahontas tale, is set against the backdrop of 17th century America in the nascent Jamestown, Va., settlement where the culture of European explorers collided with that of Native Americans.

The film will also focus on the relationship between explorer John Smith (Farrell) and young Indian princess Pocahontas.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

modage

Four More Head to Malick's New World
Source: The Hollywood Reporter Friday, July 2, 2004

Christian Bale (Batman Begins), David Thewlis (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban), Noah Taylor (Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life), and Q'orianka Kilcher will star in director Terrence Malick's 17th century American epic The New World, says The Hollywood Reporter.

The New Line film, with Colin Farrell, Christopher Plummer, August Schellenberg and Wes Studi, is described as an epic adventure set amid the encounter of European and Native American cultures following the founding of the Jamestown settlement in 1607 and inspired by the legend of John Smith and Pocahontas.

Bale will play English tobacco planter John Rolfe. Thewlis is to star as Smith's rival Capt. Wingfield, Taylor is signed on as Selway, one of the initial English settlers with Kilcher set to make her feature debut as Pocahontas.

The film is scheduled for a November 2005 release.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

lamas