Terrence Malick

Started by dufresne, April 17, 2003, 01:42:23 AM

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

Sometimes, Terrence Malick Goes The Way of Nature

Terrence Malick's beautiful new film, The Tree of Life, meditates on God and love and stuff, but, sometimes, even the famously reclusive director fails to go "the way of grace," as Tree of Life puts it. According to Martin Sheen in this month's GQ, Malick's sensitive spot is his wife. "[Filming Badlands, producer] Lou Stroller made some comment about Mrs. Malick, and Terry was not having it, and beat the hell out of him," Sheen explains. "In true Texas style —he was so Texas. Didn't even hesitate, just started swinging. They were down like two buffalo —they were big guys —and they were on the ground, rolling around, and Terry just whupped him. Oh, I acted outraged -- 'What a breakdown of discipline, this fighting on the set!' -- but I couldn't have been prouder of him. Can you imagine? If more directors would beat up their producers, we'd have a lot more artistic freedom." [GQ via Movieline]
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

There are those of us who cannot yet see Tree of Life, and for us I have recently discovered an alternative Malick option:  Deadhead Miles on Netflix instant streaming!  I'm going to watch it tonight and I hope someone else does too and we can talk about it.

"This quirky cult comedy penned by Terrence Malick features Alan Arkin as Cooper, a trucker working for a shady outfit who picks up a stolen rig full of who-knows-what and heads off for who-knows-where. Lacking a traditional plot, Cooper's encounters with a bizarre cadre of outcasts are presented as a series of vignettes. Among those he meets are characters played by Bruce Bennett, Hector Elizondo, Charles Durning, Paul Benedict and Loretta Swit."
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

children with angels

Good find! I'd never even heard of it - must track it down (particularly given that it's been called "quirky"!)...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Alan Arkin's Cooper is a playful and likable character who carries Deadhead Miles on his shoulders.  A heavy burden for someone whose philosophical remarks are, for example:

"Yeah, I used to believe in Jesus.  But then one night I wanted to make sure.  I was getting this funny play in second gear, you know?  So I took some clutch parts and I laid them under the rig and I went to sleep thinking, 'Okay, if you're Jesus you come on down, work on the clutch, maybe we talk a deal.'  Next morning, all them clutch parts was gone and I was still getting that play in second gear."

This he says to Paul Benedict's Hitchhiker while Cecil B. DeMille's Samson and Delilah plays on the drive-in screen.  He has what you might call Southern charm, very much like Kit it Badlands.  The movie, infused with road scenery, snapshots of lifestyles and attitudes encountered en route, and always with folk music on the soundtrack,  fits in its time.  You could double-feature it with Schatzberg's Scarecrow.

The comedy is well-constructed and often works.  Screenwriter Malick allows moments of curiosity (a woman tied to a stove by a long rope affixed to a belt around her waist), the supernatural (the legend of Johnny Mesquitero), the ridiculous, and zany.  Cooper, again like Kit, stumbles through his unplanned and wayward journey with a large degree of indifference.

"You know, you're not going to believe this, but I saw Ethel Merman once at a state fair.  In Kansas. 'Bout four years ago.  She came out there, sang a song:  four bars through it a hog, a hundred yards away, fell down dead on its side.  I swear that's the God's truth."

At its best the film evokes the strangeness and absurdity of living and being human.  The lack of a central theme sometimes causes the energy to dip.  As the hitchhiker comments, "It's as interesting as you are interested."
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

OrHowILearnedTo

Quote from: Merrill Errol Lehrl on June 06, 2011, 01:39:18 PM
You could double-feature it with Schatzberg's Scarecrow.

Ah, this is what I like to hear! Scarecrow is definitely one of my favourites. It's a real shame Netflix is so horrible in Canada.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Terrence Malick Accidentally Filmed By TMZ (Video)
Source: THR

The celebrity gossip site videotaped an exchange with actor Benicio del Toro, unaware that his dinner companion was the "Tree of Life" director.

For better or worse, Terrence Malick fans no longer have the same old press photo to look at when they want an image of the reclusive filmmaker.

Saturday night, TMZ reported an on-camera exchange with actor Benicio del Toro, inadvertently capturing Malick at the same time. As an interviewer questioned del Toro outside a Hollywood restaurant about which countries should be inducted into "the Union," Malick was captured in the background as he waited with the actor at the valet stand.

TMZ was unaware of Malick's identity until Vulture picked up the story early Wednesday and pointed out the filmmaking titan's presence. Malick, the director of Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line and Tree of Life, is notoriously press shy, seldom conducting interviews – even, or perhaps especially, to promote his films. But even though the new footage won't likely provide any new glamour shots of the filmmaker, it's noteworthy for being one of the very few images of Malick in any form for several years. (The picture at the top of this story is the same one many media outlets have used for years.)

Watch the video below for the first public image of mythical director Terrence Malick:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/terrence-malick-tmz-accidentally-filmed-337220
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

chere mill

total morons. malick doesn't have a young and pretty enough face so who gives a fuck about him. i like how he nervously turns away from the camera and tries to wander away. i'm sure he would have no patience even if tmz was interested in him.

reminds me of the paparazzi who took a prairie home companion photo of "some old guy" touching lindsay lohan's leg. that old guy happened to be robert altman.

Brando

The same thing happened a couple of years ago. TMZ was stalking Brad Pitt while he had a lunch with Malick. TMZ tried to talk to Pitt while he and Malick left the restaurant. In the video, Malick was in the background holding a folder in front of his face. TMZ have those videos where the TMZ people talk about the video and they were making fun of Malick cause they didn't know who he was. They thought he was some random guy trying to hide from the paparazzi when they were clearly just interested in Pitt.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Ravi

http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/diane-kruger-to-star-in-latest-abe-lincoln-movie-this-one-produced-by-terrence-malick/

Diane Kruger To Star In Latest Abe Lincoln Movie, This One Produced By Terrence Malick
By MIKE FLEMING | Thursday August 2, 2012 @ 6:39pm EDT

EXCLUSIVE: The 16th U.S. president continues to a hot box office commodity. The next film about Abraham Lincoln is The Green Blade Rises, and Diane Kruger has been set to play Sarah Lincoln, Abe's beautiful stepmother. The film was written and will be directed by AJ Edwards, with Terrence Malick producing with Nicolas Gonda and Charley Beil. This version tells the story of America's greatest hero, the hardships that shaped him, the tragedy that marked him forever and the two women who guided him to immortality. One is his stepmother, who becomes an influential figure for the future president.

The film is being shot in black and white and will begin production in the fall. It spans three formative years of his life in the vast wilderness of Indiana. And no, there will be no vampires. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter has already hit theaters, and Steven Spielberg's Lincoln will be released November 9, with Daniel Day-Lewis playing the Great Emancipator. Kruger is repped by UTA, Untitled and UK-based Ken McReddie Associates.

Cloudy

Here's a beautiful D. H. Lawrence poem that looks to have influenced the title of the film, or the film in general. Had a lot of impact on me:

http://afterhisimage.wordpress.com/2012/06/27/ship-of-death/

"to the wonder"

DocSportello

Shit just got strange...

Rooney Mara Joins the Black Lips on Guitar at Austin City Limits
Ryan Gosling looks on during shoot for top-secret Terrence Malick project

By
Rolling Stone   
October 13, 2012 2:30 PM

Actress Rooney Mara joined psych-rockers the Black Lips onstage at Austin City Limits on Friday, backing up the band on guitar – or at least pretending to – as part of a shoot for Terrence Malick's top-secret next movie. A reporter from SlashFilm caught a brief snippet of the guest appearance on camera.

Also onstage: Ryan Gosling, Mara's co-star, who watched the set from the sidelines.

While details of Malick's new project remain shrouded in mystery, the director shot more scenes for the film at last year's Austin City Limits fest with Christian Bale, who is playing the lead role. Bale was shot roaming the festival grounds and playing bongos onstage during the Fleet Foxes' set.

The Untitled Terrence Malick Project also co-stars Michael Fassbender, Cate Blanchett and Holly Hunter.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/rooney-mara-joins-the-black-lips-on-guitar-at-austin-city-limits-20121013#ixzz29EIaMmLN

I'm a huuuge Black Lips fan so to know that they may potentially be in the new Malick film is particularly mind-blowing for me. So weird though.